Are there not millions of Windows apps??? (The Go/Go 2 dilemma)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I'm watching The Verge's review for the Go 2 and it didn't take long before he asked the inevitable question, can it run Photoshop?

They never ask, can it run Affinity? They never show if it can handle a large spreadsheet. They never talk about the hundreds of thousands of apps that aren't Photoshop that run fine on a low powered Windows Machine. Instead, they want to see how low specced machines - machines that clearly weren't designed for the task they're trying to accomplish - how it handles really intense programs. Can it run Photoshop is Microsoft's version of "Can it run Crysis?"

Side note: I ran Affinity on the Go 2, connected to an external display, and didn’t have any problems with a few layers on a 1080p image.

A big reason why I choose the Go is because I never know what sort of app a vendor will need me to install. I can’t risk being caught flat footed with Chrome OS or an iPad. But I also don’t want to lug around my gigantic laptop when I’m traveling between locations. That's where something like the Go 2 fits in perfectly.

I've made the not-so-difficult decision to replace my Pro 7 (i3) with my Go 2 (m3). The Go 2 is the best of both worlds (Windows, portability, flexibility, file management). I tried the Go 1 but it struggled too much with Google Sheets. I upgraded to the Pro 7 but it is just a hair too big. Especially post-work when I’m just chilling on the couch. If you don’t do heavy photo/video editing, or game, there is so much you can do with that m3.

But tech blogs have this desire to take some of the most resource intensive programs (i.e. the programs they use) and judge devices based on how well they do. That leaves out an entire universe of people that don't need Photoshop.

Photoshop/Premiere is a bad way to judge a devices performance or usefulness.

There is some weird narrative that everyone has 30 Chrome tabs open while watching two 4K videos on two separate external monitors. Not everyone is a power user. I'd say most people aren't. It would be nice if reviewers focused on the actual capabilities of the hardware and not the hardware they want it to be.

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
You are so right! My 8” Windows tablet was too small. The Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 were too large. The Go/Go 2 are the “sweet spot” for me. They are large enough to use for actual work but small enough to haul with me and not take up a lot of space when set up.

Before we switched to online-only classes abruptly mid-semester, my Go was my take-to-class computer. I could demonstrate SAS programs on it and run my presentations. It connected to the overhead projector system really easily and I could also write on it like a white board if I needed to. I take it to our camp just in case I have to download a firmware file for one of my cellular trail cameras. My iPads and Android phone and tablet just won’t do for that.

Once I had to start using Zoom and Teams, I connected the Go to a 19” TV to use as an external monitor and extended my desktop to it. I could “park” most of the Teams and Zoom stuff (like chat, attendees) on the external monitor and use the web cam and Go screen as the main share screen.

For what little bit of photo editing I do, I use an old, old version of Paint Shop Pro. It worked fine on much less capable computers. I will be recording some new videos using my Go 2 but will render them on my desktop workstation. I have rendered on the Go to see if I could, and I could, but that’s why I have a desktop.

I keep my Go set up on my desk in front of the right 24” portrait screen on my desktop workstation. The Go 2 will replace it.

For those of us who need compact Windows computers, the Go and now Go 2 are excellent little computers. I remember paying about $6000 for one of the early Toshiba color portables that probably had a 640 * 480 screen, or maybe a little higher resolution. I don’t remember what the hard drive size was, but it was MB. Of course I’d like to pay as little as possible, but $1200 for an 8G/256G LTE with keyboard, pen, and 2-year protection is fantastic compared to what I’ve paid for other far less capable computers over the several decades I’ve been buying computers.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@HeyCori I stopped reading when I read :winktongue:

So I'm watching The Verge's rev

Joking aside, I suppose it's because of confirmation bias... and the clicks.

Also Google spreadsheets?? :grincry:

Having used it for a admin post, you'd have better luck with a stone and chisel powered by a hamster in it's exercise wheel lol.

I'm hoping the Surface Go 3 has an AMD Ryzen APU variant at some point because that would just open another world of possibilities.

If you're looking for objective reviews, check out Gamers Nexus although they don't do laptop reviews just component and PC cases.

In terms of Laptops, I found Dave Lee at Dave2D as well Michael Fisher to be pretty good on the objectivity side.

The obvious caveat being, I've not seen many of Dave Lee's recent reviews lately and Michael rarely does laptop reviews.

Linus also does decent laptop reviews sometimes his confirmation bias shows and also his reviews usually have the entertainment slant. Credit where credit is due if the product is genuinely bad or good he will say it and there have been times where he has called out a vendor on video whilst being in their display booth lol.

There's of course Daniel Rubino, he's objectivity is what drew me to Windows Phone Central. Sure, like everyone there's some slip up in youtube videos but that's life - no one's perfect.

If you happen to find another objective laptop reviewer I'd be definitely interesting in reading / watching their reviews.

Back on topic:

1) Have you used the NFC for any payments?
2) Hows the battery life with LTE?
3) What's the experience like with esim and purchasing data bundles?

@LibbyLA thanks for sharing!
Reading the review now.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
@HeyCori I stopped reading when I read :winktongue:

Joking aside, I suppose it's because of confirmation bias... and the clicks.

Also Google spreadsheets?? :grincry:

My job is deep in Google Suite. I can't escape it!

If you're looking for objective reviews, check out Gamers Nexus although they don't do laptop reviews just component and PC cases.

In terms of Laptops, I found Dave Lee at Dave2D as well Michael Fisher to be pretty good on the objectivity side.

The obvious caveat being, I've not seen many of Dave Lee's recent reviews lately and Michael rarely does laptop reviews.

I occasionally watch some Dave Lee stuff. I subscribe to Michael Fisher too. Even if I don't always agree with Fisher, at least his videos are entertaining. I also follow an older lady that runs a channel called MobileTechReview. She mainly does phones, tablets, and laptops. But occasionally she branches out to things like headphones, smart watches, and other odd ball tech. I think Daniel is a little soft on products, which I consider a good thing. He speaks more broadly about what a device should be used for.

1) Have you used the NFC for any payments?
2) Hows the battery life with LTE?
3) What's the experience like with esim and purchasing data bundles?

I never even thought about NFC payments. In fact, I didn't even know it had NFC haha. I got the non-LTE version. That said, battery life has been good thus far. It's hard to tell because I use a USB hub with power delivery. So when I'm connected to my external monitor, I'm essentially micro-charging throughout the day. But yeah, I'm probably getting between 6-7 hours as other reviewers have said.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
I think YouTube tech reviewers hardly give attention to strengths of windows while reviewing or comparing with products like iPad. more often you would find as they review surface based on iPad narrative rather than what it is.
as you mentioned topics like windows gaming, multitasking, peripheral support, ability to use full desktop programs when needed is hardly discussed in videos in meaning full way.

in case of surface go 2 reviews Pentium version is getting most criticism & honestly it deserves it thanks to Intel's lackluster efforts in low end tablet chips.

Last edited:

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
The iPad/Go comparison bugs me. I love my iPad Pro 11 most of the time and it’s what I use most of the time for web surfing, email, etc. It has a smaller footprint than the Go because the keyboard folio doens’t have a track pad.

However, I can’t download files that need to be transferred to SD card, I can’t do any full-blown Word editing, and I definitely cannot run the statistical software that I teach and use. That software is Windows Pro only.

For people like me who have work to do that involves using Windows software, being able to run it on a tiny computer is a big deal. I don’t want a small laptop. I like the Surface form factor and the Go size. It has fewer compromises than many small laptops and netbooks (smaller, lower resolution screens; oddball keyboard layouts on computers made for non-US markets or tiny keys) that I’ve used in the past. I’m willing to live with some of less than perfect features to get a usable portable Windows computer.

Yesterday I used my Go 1 attached to an external lower-resolution monitor to work on a diagram in landscape mode (my desktop computer screens are in portrait mode and the position of Word even when I was working at the bottom of the screen, was a problem). I’m planning to get a higher-resolution portable monitor and put the TV back where it was.

Still no work on when I’ll be getting mine, but with my luck, it will probably be Thursday or Friday, when I won’t be home to get it.

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
The iPad/Go comparison bugs me. I love my iPad Pro 11 most of the time and it’s what I use most of the time for web surfing, email, etc. It has a smaller footprint than the Go because the keyboard folio doens’t have a track pad.

In fairness that what most people will look at (including myself) when deciding on this form factor. I am finding new cool things to do on my Go 2 every day. Its more PC than tablet but I like full featured apps like Office and Zoom. Also Edge and Full Chrome. My only concern is if we get back on the road will I be OK with the lack of offline media capabilities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6