IPS monitor with freesync/async

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So I'm looking to get an IPS monitor but hearing about Nvidia's new gsync program to freesync monitors, I'm not sure what I need.
Do I need a monitor with freesync? And what about async, as it also mentioned displayport adaptive sync? Do I need a monitor with a displayport so I can get async and thus gsync?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So I'm looking to get an IPS monitor but hearing about Nvidia's new gsync program to freesync monitors, I'm not sure what I need.
Do I need a monitor with freesync? And what about async, as it also mentioned displayport adaptive sync? Do I need a monitor with a displayport so I can get async and thus gsync?

Gsync only works over displayport at present, freesync 2 works over hdmi according to AMD's website.

Here is a list of Freesync monitors: www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

It's not worth paying the premium for Gsync unless you exclusively use Nvidia GPUs and it's not worth paying the premium for RTX as it does not work without DLSS at the present time.

You are better of getting a GTX GPU if you have to use Gsync or waiting until Vega 2 GPU's hit the market.

In the interim period you would better served by getting a cheap AMD gpu and a freesync monitor. Then later upgrading to either RTX when that platform / capability matures but that means upgrading to a monitor that Nvidia has "certified" as Gsync compatible if you want to reduce cost or Vega 2 which means you don't have buy another monitor (more economical and makes better fiscal sense).

Plus there is Navi to think about as well.

Never the less it all depends on what resolution you wish play games on.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos