Android won't use selected default map app

IdleMind

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I've installed Here maps, and also set it as my default map app. Whenever I search for an address and click on it in the search instead of Here maps opening, Google maps opens. Also if I go to the web browser and do a Bing search for an address, and click on the map to enlarge, again I get Google maps. Why give me the option to select a default app if the OS will just override my selection? And if I'm on a non-Google website and click on a link on that site why am I being redirected to a Google website or app? It's annoying.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's a two step process.

First go into Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Maps (Google)

Then tap Advance -> Open by default

Make sure Open supported links is set to -> Ask every time

Then -> Clear Defaults

Back out of Settings

Then search for something on the web that requires a map, tap the map, an option should pop up to ask which app you want. Tap HERE and then tap Always.

This should default HERE as you main map app.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Did that work? What's the main benefit over not using Google Maps? Is it just an anti-Google thing?

HEREWeGo (Used to be HERE and owned by Nokia) allows complete country map download (over 100 countries) and offline usage. It's a proper GPS system, with speed indicators, etc.

Yes you can sort of do that with Google but it's not the same.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
HEREWeGo (Used to be HERE and owned by Nokia) allows complete country map download (over 100 countries) and offline usage. It's a proper GPS system, with speed indicators, etc.

Yes you can sort of do that with Google but it's not the same.

I am not a big Google fan so I was curious if alternative map providers could hold up against Google Maps.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not a big Google fan so I was curious if alternative map providers could hold up against Google Maps.

HEREWeGo is actually pretty good overall. It's quick and has a lot of data which similar to Google I find.

The good thing about HERE is that it has the road speed and your speed. Google only displays your speed currently.

The ability to download whole countries is pretty good to.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
HEREWeGo is actually pretty good overall. It's quick and has a lot of data which similar to Google I find.

The good thing about HERE is that it has the road speed and your speed. Google only displays your speed currently.

The ability to download whole countries is pretty good to.

I remember you could do that on Here Maps on Windows Phone too.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I quite liked this map app. I hardly ever use Google Maps.

I've been using Here maps for years, even before I started with Windows phone. For me, it was initially a F-Google thing, but now I prefer it. I find it doesn't drain my battery like Google Maps. My best feature is setting audible warnings for speeding which u can actually set to whatever you want. I've lost count how many times this have saved me from getting a speeding ticket. Lastly, Here is very similar to Windows 10P maps, but I preferred the appearance on W10P over Here on Android.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
On my V40, Here is not an option under default apps. In fact, maps is not even listed. The above procedure doesn't work on my V40. I just get Google Maps and Edge browser as options to use as default maps. If anyone figures out how to get Here maps listed as an option for default map app, please reply. I'm also looking into ROMs for my V40 to solve some of these annoying issues where Google cannot be removed fron phone.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Here maps for years, even before I started with Windows phone. For me, it was initially a F-Google thing, but now I prefer it. I find it doesn't drain my battery like Google Maps. My best feature is setting audible warnings for speeding which u can actually set to whatever you want. I've lost count how many times this have saved me from getting a speeding ticket. Lastly, Here is very similar to Windows 10P maps, but I preferred the appearance on W10P over Here on Android.

I'm not really a Google fan either, but sadly we get less and less choice for an alternate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon