08-14-2014 05:35 AM
103 1234 ...
tools
    Maybe I am in the happy minority, but the Champaign IL AT&T shop I frequent has not just one but 2 working displays of WPs including the hardly-known ATIV S Neo. The sales clerks are happy to talk WP. They contrast the choices and differences between the OS's well, even if here is a tad bias to Android.

Overall, they want the sale, not a particular OS sale. I had a similar experience in St. Louis, just open minded happy to answer questions on WP sales people.

I am making it a point to hit the Verizon store soon, hopefully to contrast the Icon and the ATIV SE. I hope I have the same report card to hand out.
    05-12-2014 01:50 AM
    I'm from INDIA & i want to share similar experience, Here it is "Samsung mania" once, i went to showroom,the Rep. demonstrate Samsung,Htc,Micromax Androids to other customer by telling Negatives for Lumia & also he successfully sold "Samsung Galaxy Grand"...Once he comes to me i straight away bought "Lumia 625"...The guy who bought Grand started to shout with Rep,because he saw easy,simple & Fluid operations on my handset but store Rep. refuse take back grand so he out with Grand only....Overall looks like Even Users interested in Lumia(In general WP) the Store Rep. never bothered & they simply selling Android's by highlighting apps....So, Nokia & Microsoft need to take steps for Promoting Product in better way....
    S Vaibhav and snowmutt like this.
    05-12-2014 04:30 AM
    I think that Microsoft should tell ATT and any other carriers if instances like this is going to continue, they wont take it lightly.

Microsoft has enough money to open stores and kiosk in malls all over the world to sell their own products and can do so without any of ATT bloat preinstalled they can also offer any plans available so they can turn the page against any carrier exclusivity and offer better pricing as well. That way with a properly executed add campaign can draw both old and young to them.

Mac
    1. If MS tells them that, the carriers will say 'okay, cool, we'll just stop carrying WPs then". MS has no leverage on them in the consumer market. This is because for most people, a WP handset is not something they want. People want whatever Apple's just put out or whatever Samsung is marketing at that time. No loss to the carriers if they stop carrying WP - in fact a case could be made that they will actually profit from such a move.

2. Again, the carriers have the power here. Most people in the USA at least "buy" their phones from carriers at a subsidised price. Hardly anyone even knows what an "unlocked" phone is.
    05-12-2014 05:03 AM
    FYI, Last time I went back home to see my parents, we went to the Verizon store to get icon's. They had just returned their galaxy note 3's. The guys at the Verizon store talked to us like we were stupid. They told us that they would return the icons the next day. They said over 90% of people who buy windows phones return them. They tried to push android crap to my parents. I had already convinced my dad and mom that wp was cool, so they didn't listen. They were pretty much refusing to sell the Icons so my dad was said "if you're not going to sell us the icon's then we're going to leave". The Verizon store employees (2 of them) just stared at us like idiots, so we just left and went home to buy the phones online through Verizon. And all that was after having to wait our line at the Verizon store for an HOUR. And that whole thing was a few months back. Unlike what the Verizon employees said, my parents did not return the icon's. INFACT, THEY LOVE THE PHONES.
    Maybe the sales folk were telling the truth, and trying to prevent your dissatisfaction ?

Doesn't matter if it is phones, cars, planes, or doughnuts... A good salesperson will give their experiences to the customer.

Or maybe its a conspiracy. I'm not sure.
    05-12-2014 05:27 AM
    But when I was in the store, 3 WP devices was sold. One to a old lady who couldn't be talked out of it. She got mad at the sales person and swung her purse at the kid. The manager came in and sent the kid home. She pulled a 1020 out of her pocket to show granny how out worked. Then sold her one right then and there.
    man, that's badass!
    oditius likes this.
    05-12-2014 05:59 AM
    Where I live in the UK, I bought a Lumia 620 in Carphone Warehouse and they all seemed to love the fact I was upgrading to a WP. I also recently went into O2 to upgrade my fiance to a lovely Lumia 925 and received very similar feedback for the love of all things WP. There has been nothing but praise from sales reps in the UK when it comes to WP. :)
    snowmutt, bijak_riyandi and b23h like this.
    05-12-2014 06:23 AM
    I originally approached Carphone Warehouse in the UK when enquiring about a Lumia 920 as well, and they had no quarrels at all. Nor did any shop I asked in fact. =)

Microsoft should just jump ship and move to Europe lol
    snowmutt and b23h like this.
    05-12-2014 06:30 AM
    As a new windows phone owner. Coming from iPhone I think windows phone OS is so much better than the IOS I was used to using but also it is one of the most unpolished non intuitive OS ever. If windows phone made things simpler and merged something's together. If it refined the small things it could really catch on. Hopefully owning Nokia will make the hardware work even tighter with the software.
    05-12-2014 06:30 AM
    The sales rep at at&t also tried to talk me out of getting it too. But that's what happens you have constant dissatisfied customers who keep bringing their phones back.
    Last edited by Christopher Lindsay; 05-12-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    05-12-2014 06:33 AM
    I remember when I bought my HTC trophy years ago online. Well, when I went in the store, I saw a promo for halo xxx 360 game. I asked why i didn't get my copy and the woman didn't even know what phone I was talking about, when she finally realized what I was getting at, she says-"uh uh, ain't no game comes wit dat fone"..mind you this was a few years ago, but it hasn't changed much at my Verizon store.
    05-12-2014 07:19 AM
    I bought my phone from Verizon online, through a Xfinity/Verizon promotion. I wanted to keep my old number but the sales rep on the phone messed it up and I was given a temporary phone number. Going into the Verizon store to get my old number, I witnessed about five people asking about the Windows Phone. The sales rep said, "Wow, do you know any of those people? Is it just coincidence you walked in and a few others asking about a Windows Phone?"

Unfortunately, all of their WP models were in the back. At this time, the Icon was the phone that just came out for Verizon and of course, the sales rep moved their attention to Android and to the iPhone. I should of asked if that wanted to use my phone as the model.
    05-12-2014 07:20 AM
    I think the general consensus is that WP get returned a lot so therefore the carriers try to steer customers away from them. It's a preventive procedure.

When I bought my LIcon at Verizon the sales person proceeded to try and sell me a L2250 tablet.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-12-2014 07:32 AM
    I was in an AT&T store this past Saturday to replace my fianc's 920 (she finally broke the screen after Lord knows how many times she dropped my beloved hand-me-down) and while waiting for our turn I overheard a rep telling a customer who was looking at a 1520 "no, it's not upgradeable and is at end of life". I stood up, pulled my phone out of my pocket and said "Excuse me, but I have the 1520 and I just updated to the latest version of the OS and it's not even near end of life, unlike an iPhone which seems to never be able to upgrade the OS without you having to sacrifice something on an older phone. I'm not sure where you're getting your information." The customer took the phone out of my hand, looked it over and told the rep he'd like to see one, thanked me and walked to a table. I sat back down and my fianc patted me on the leg in a "there, there" kind of way. I was hot about the whole thing. Anyway, we sat for about 15 more minutes waiting and I kept watching the customer speak to the rep and the rep would kind of toss his hands up in the air when asked a question, the customer would then walk over to me and ask simple things like "Will this phone sync with my Outlook?" He did this three times before we were finished and had to leave (full disclosure, we had to leave because the AT&T store in Sanford, FL didn't have any WP phones other than a couple 1520's and we were there for a 925).

We went to the MS store in Orlando and had a nice chat with a rep there who laughed at my story and told me his good friend at the local AT&T store outside the mall was paid extra for pushing iPhone's. Due to MS not being able to help with the Next program he sent us over to that store to do the upgrade and it was a very good experience.

As with anything, the consumer should be armed with information to avoid being sold on something they do not necessarily want or need. Information is power.
    snowmutt and jvanlew like this.
    05-12-2014 07:54 AM
    You know, it really depends on what store you happen to walk into. One of my local T-Mobile stores was showcasing the 925 shortly after its release and I was considering getting it back then. The rep didn't really try to steer me away from WP except when I expressed slight disappointment that the 925 only had 16GB with no micro SD support. The Verizon store I visited to see the Icon a few weeks ago was pretty good too. I asked a rep about the phone and he took me right to it and didn't start up about the iPhone or Android.
    snowmutt and b23h like this.
    05-12-2014 08:18 AM
    I think the general consensus is that WP get returned a lot so therefore the carriers try to steer customers away from them. It's a preventive procedure.

When I bought my LIcon at Verizon the sales person proceeded to try and sell me a L2250 tablet.
    While that makes sense, it also reflects on the salespeople being pretty poor in the first place, if they're pushing phones without listening to what their customers actually want...
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-12-2014 09:13 AM
    The main issue continues to be that some store salepeople do not the get same commission on all phones so they will push the ones that gets them $ for every sale. That has more of an impact than what device they actually use on a daily basis. Microsoft needs to ensure that all WP devices pay out the same commission or more for every device sold. Also they need training on the phones. A hard reset is not needed to fix every WP issue. I was told to hard reset my phone on multiple occasions by VZW support. I did not do it but was able to resolve the issues on my own.

The lack of apps comment from salespeople always irritates me. Yes there are 700,000 apps for Apple and Android but they have been around for 6 years. Windows Phone app store is still growing faster with over 120,000 apps after being around for 3 years.

With better training on WP and commission changes that should help change the apparent hate for WP on all US carriers
    05-12-2014 10:22 AM
    No, the problem is that the AT&T guy is pretty much right. It's harder to get help when something goes wrong because I don't trust the AT&T people to have been properly trained with WP. When I got my 920, the guy said (half-jokingly, though he was right) I probably knew more than him about it. There really is an app problem still as well, and my sister (who has had an 822 since late-2012) has complained about things like official Snapchat and Pinterest of late.

Yes, the general public is easy to steer elsewhere, but part of that is because the things salespeople mention are factual.
    05-12-2014 11:44 AM
    The main issue continues to be that some store salepeople do not the get same commission on all phones so they will push the ones that gets them $ for every sale. That has more of an impact than what device they actually use on a daily basis. Microsoft needs to ensure that all WP devices pay out the same commission or more for every device sold. Also they need training on the phones. A hard reset is not needed to fix every WP issue. I was told to hard reset my phone on multiple occasions by VZW support. I did not do it but was able to resolve the issues on my own.

The lack of apps comment from salespeople always irritates me. Yes there are 700,000 apps for Apple and Android but they have been around for 6 years. Windows Phone app store is still growing faster with over 120,000 apps after being around for 3 years.

With better training on WP and commission changes that should help change the apparent hate for WP on all US carriers
    definitely a money issue! Att is commission sales not hourly! That said IOS and android pay out more! It becomes worse when the salesman has other mouths to feed! Then your forced to do what's best for you and your family. Regardless of how much you love WP and selling WP. I love my WP but if IOS and androids are paying the bills........thats probably what ill sell most of.....sorry!
    05-12-2014 12:15 PM
    FYI, Last time I went back home to see my parents, we went to the Verizon store to get icon's. They had just returned their galaxy note 3's. The guys at the Verizon store talked to us like we were stupid. They told us that they would return the icons the next day. They said over 90% of people who buy windows phones return them. They tried to push android crap to my parents. I had already convinced my dad and mom that wp was cool, so they didn't listen. They were pretty much refusing to sell the Icons so my dad was said "if you're not going to sell us the icon's then we're going to leave". The Verizon store employees (2 of them) just stared at us like idiots, so we just left and went home to buy the phones online through Verizon. And all that was after having to wait our line at the Verizon store for an HOUR. And that whole thing was a few months back. Unlike what the Verizon employees said, my parents did not return the icon's. INFACT, THEY LOVE THE PHONES.
    You know they are telling bs with that 90% number. Next time someone say that just tell them this, " Windows phone has around 4-5% marketshare in the U.S, if 90% of people who bought Windows Phone returned them, then this 4-5% is only about 10% of people who bought Windows Phone initially. Now, iphone has about 40% share in the U.S, about 10 times that of Windows Phone market share, are you telling me that there are the same amount of people buying Windows Phone as there are buying iphones everyday? And that the only problem is that people are returning these phones due to some lack of apps?"

Hopefully this make them realize how stupid that claim is, although I'm not sure those sales rep understand basic math...
    gmlongo likes this.
    05-12-2014 12:17 PM
    1. If MS tells them that, the carriers will say 'okay, cool, we'll just stop carrying WPs then". MS has no leverage on them in the consumer market. This is because for most people, a WP handset is not something they want. People want whatever Apple's just put out or whatever Samsung is marketing at that time. No loss to the carriers if they stop carrying WP - in fact a case could be made that they will actually profit from such a move.

2. Again, the carriers have the power here. Most people in the USA at least "buy" their phones from carriers at a subsidised price. Hardly anyone even knows what an "unlocked" phone is.
    Don't generalize...I have been with TMO since 2004 and have not owned a subsidized phone since 2005.....
    metalchick719 likes this.
    05-12-2014 12:28 PM
    I understand my experience is one in the minority, but I actually had a salesperson at ATT in 2010 tell me he would buy the "new" Windows Phone if he had a choice. I had come in to buy an iPhone and walked out with a Samsung Focus. When I bought my 920 in 2012, I encountered no flack but it was on launch date. The following year I went in to check out the 1020 a couple weeks after launch and one of the reps proceeded to take his personal 1020 out of his coat pocket and showed me all of the awesome photos he had taken at his neice's wedding. YMMV.
    05-12-2014 01:00 PM
    Maybe the sales folk were telling the truth, and trying to prevent your dissatisfaction ?

Doesn't matter if it is phones, cars, planes, or doughnuts... A good salesperson will give their experiences to the customer.

Or maybe its a conspiracy. I'm not sure.
    That is one of the stupidest things I've heard this year. They weren't telling the truth and it's not a conspiracy. It's the fact that most of these store workers are mindless drones for apple or android.
    05-12-2014 02:23 PM
    No, the problem is that the AT&T guy is pretty much right. It's harder to get help when something goes wrong because I don't trust the AT&T people to have been properly trained with WP. When I got my 920, the guy said (half-jokingly, though he was right) I probably knew more than him about it. There really is an app problem still as well, and my sister (who has had an 822 since late-2012) has complained about things like official Snapchat and Pinterest of late.

Yes, the general public is easy to steer elsewhere, but part of that is because the things salespeople mention are factual.
    Again, that just reeks of laziness and incompetence from the salespeople if they don't know their own product.
    05-12-2014 02:45 PM
    I got a 521 and I'm gonna get 1520 green, where else can you get the 3 stooges & looney tunes app at,. why everyone loves apple with no sd slot I don't know. I got a ipad ( a big iphone) I don't see a major difference. I luv my windows phone even if cortana won't marry me because it's not in the cards yet but siri won't either.
    b23h likes this.
    05-12-2014 03:26 PM
    I think the biggest problem is that sales people do not want to look STUPID. They are going to tryand sell you what they use and what they know so they don't look DUMB trying you sell you something they don't know anything about. With the small market share WP8 has most sales reps do not own one so they don't push them. All four of the WP8 phones me and my wife own I bought from online and only brought them to AT&T to activate them. Until WP8 gets more popular it is a problem I do not see going away. I think 10% will do it, a ways to go. I don't think AT&T is any different from the others.
    05-12-2014 04:38 PM
103 1234 ...