So how do you get your phone. Did you get it by contract? Or brought it from retailer? Or you get contract at first and unlock that because you love it so much?

Well I'm getting my phone from retail store at retail price. And there is no any other way to get it other than that (except by stealing but no way I'm doing it) so how did yoh guys get it.

My Phone is L625H Retail
    My Carrier is IDN Telkomsel
    I got it about 166.25US$ in Jakarta (Rp 2.000.000 Local Currency)
    06-28-2014 09:11 AM
    In my country (India ) there isn't any carrier specific devices / restrictions. So one have to buy a phone at its full price (and it's completely unlocked. You can use any SIM ).
    palandri likes this.
    06-28-2014 10:47 AM
    I'm with T-Mobile US, so up until three years ago, I always had a locked phone through them. No more contract since last year in May because of the whole UNcarrier thing. Over the last three years, I've purchased three unlocked phones (iPhone directly from Apple, Rogers Nokia Lumia 920 from Negri and an AT&T HTC One from eBay that was unlocked by the original owner). I got two locked phones from T-Mobile (Nokia Lumia 810 and Lumia 925), but last month, I got unlock codes for them directly from the carrier. So, I guess I would say I prefer unlocked. I don't use the iPhone as a phone anymore, but I still have five unlocked smartphones to choose from to use on my carrier or another if I choose to leave.
    mary beth hale and dfb8085 like this.
    06-28-2014 10:56 AM
    Have been buying unlocked phones for about 4 years. Pop in a SIM,add apns and good to go. I like to use different phones and get bored after about a year so I prefer not being tied down to contracts. Have purchased from eBay, Negri and GSM Nation.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    06-28-2014 12:26 PM
    My current 920 I got on-contract almost two years ago with AT&T. Eventually I got tired of being under contract so I paid the ETF and kept the phone. I recently got a no-contract Lumia 925 thanks to a pricing error on AT&T's part. I gave that phone to my girl.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    06-28-2014 12:28 PM
    Have been buying unlocked phones for about 4 years. Pop in a SIM,add apns and good to go. I like to use different phones and get bored after about a year so I prefer not being tied down to contracts. Have purchased from eBay, Negri and GSM Nation.
    Same here though I tend to buy from amazon nowadays and look to around a year and a half to 2 years before switching
    06-28-2014 03:59 PM
    I've been buying unlocked phones for more than ten years - whether it be independent sellers, carphonewarehouse, phones4u, amazon or whatever. (I'm primarily in the UK)

I am addicted to technology and rotate my gadgets and so contracts don't fit into that habit.

I'm currently sporting a 1520 (442 from amazon), Blackberry Q10 (580 from carphonewarehouse) and an iphone 5s (599 from Apple).

The sim cards come from EE, for the 1520 and 5s, and Giffgaff for the Q10 - all the numbers correspond to different needs; family, business, publisher etc. I have other Giffgaff Sims as required.

My wife is constantly telling me I need therapy. But then I also collect fountain pens, watches, lighters and rotate my cars.

I work hard and play hard.

That's what I tell myself when I've been told off and I'm sleeping on the couch anyway!

I'm not a fan of contracts purely because I don't like being tied to one device and because deals change so fast. Even with the heavy up front cost I've managed to save money by changing simcard deals whenever something comes up.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    06-28-2014 04:12 PM
    In my country (India ) there isn't any carrier specific devices / restrictions. So one have to buy a phone at its full price (and it's completely unlocked. You can use any SIM ).
    same with me. although Ascend W1 - Windows Phone being sold by smartfren (local CDMA carrier) but I don't know whether that device is unlocked or not

still I'd love Unlocked phone. event though I use same Carrier with same number since Middle School
    06-29-2014 11:28 AM
    Factory unlocked gives you the most freedom with regard to carriers/networks - especially when you can port your number. And there's no carrier specific bloatware munching space.
    06-29-2014 11:37 AM
    This thread has made me curious. I'm with t-mobile with a 521 and 925 locked. Only smartphones I've ever had. What advantage would I have if I got them unlocked from t-mobile? I'm kinda new to all this. My first smartphone ever was the 521. One month later (November 2013) I purchased the 925. ....
    06-29-2014 11:57 AM
    You could change network without changing your phone, and unlocked phones are worth a little more on the second hand market.
    mark233 likes this.
    06-29-2014 12:00 PM

Is that true? Cause I wanna buy a L1320 and the only good prices I found was on eBay India, if they come unlocked, I'll buy it!
    06-29-2014 12:20 PM
    Is that true? Cause I wanna buy a L1320 and the only good prices I found was on eBay India, if they come unlocked, I'll buy it!
    Yes they all are completely unlocked :)
    06-29-2014 09:55 PM
    if you going to buy new retail phone Try at Indonesia if you use US$ can get 166 $ for L625 and 550 US$ for 1020

and don't forget to visit Bali when you're there :D

I don't know about 2nd hand phone. most people here use their phone until it broke. still there is few people who keep changing smartphone whenever new phone released but not common here.

oh if you look for Lumia Device there is Lot of service center here on Jakarta :D about 6 if I recall
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    06-30-2014 10:02 AM
    if you going to buy new retail phone Try at Indonesia if you use US$ can get 166 $ for L625 and 550 US$ for 1020

and don't forget to visit Bali when you're there :D

I don't know about 2nd hand phone. most people here use their phone until it broke. still there is few people who keep changing smartphone whenever new phone released but not common here.

oh if you look for Lumia Device there is Lot of service center here on Jakarta :D about 6 if I recall

They have a pretty good price! Wow
    06-30-2014 12:25 PM
    forgot to mention. we have 6 retailer but not 6 store :D. the store may be over 30 if we count (
    07-02-2014 07:55 AM
    My nephew gave me a model 810 that he hasn't used in a few years. I am a AT&T customer and I would like to try and use it. If I take this to a T mobile store will they unlock for me?
    09-04-2016 04:30 PM