Can you wirelessly charge through a case or cover? (video)

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
No, it was when I was editing that I first noticed that the little light was flashing, indicating that it was not going to work. I added an extra flash because I wanted people to notice it without arrows or anything like that.
Glad you liked it, check back soon because Im editing a little matchup between the L920 and the iP4 to se witch battery is "best".

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
It would work as long as it isnt to thick. What Im thinking of doing to my night stand is remove the top board and then carve a little underneath so that the charger is "inside" the table and wont be in the way for the drawer.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This would be perfect entry for wireless charging into general acceptance. Most surfaces (desks, tables) could be wired up for this and at the airport it would be wonderful to not have to wing out your charger cable and hunt for a port! No fears of having the chargers stolen either.
Since it Qi is essentially slow-charging, does it damage your battery if you keep charging it constantly?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It would work as long as it isnt to thick. What Im thinking of doing to my night stand is remove the top board and then carve a little underneath so that the charger is "inside" the table and wont be in the way for the drawer.

Exactly.

There are two factors that affect wireless charging. Distance and material.

As long as the distance isn't too far, it will charge. However, the farther away it is, the less power it receives. Even though cases still allow wireless charging, they will increase the amount of time it takes to charge.

The only other factor that needs to be considered is the material. Wireless charging works via magnetic induction (magnets). Very few things affect magnetism so this is why it's so affective. However, the most obvious materials that do affect magnetism are metals, which should explain why that metal pot had different results than the other tests.

Hope this helps to answer any uncertainties =P

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The only other factor that needs to be considered is the material.

Just in case people were actually wondering...a candy cane DOES work. My parents were down to visit and I wanted to show them how it worked through space..so, had a candy cane handy, lined them up and voila. *BING ding-dung*

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if you can charge two Lumias at the same time? One over the other.

Unfortunately not. The magnetic coil inside the charger and the magnetic coil inside of the phone communicate with each other directly to monitor and modify the power accordingly for the device. If the charger's coil is already communicating with a device, a second device cannot be communicated with.

Double chargers that can charge multiple devices have a specific coil for each device. So a charger that can charge 2 phones has two coils and cannot charge anything more than 2 at a time.

Hope this helps!

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Will it charge?....

Subjects: HTC 8X + Nokia DT 900 Qi
random material maximum successful charging depth tests....

1/8" foam rubber (mousepad)
1/8" plastic (plastic plates/clipboard)....might charge thru thicker?
3/16" ceramic plate[stoneware/microwave safe]
1/4" glass (baking dish) [pyrex]
1/4" wood (Pine yes...Teak no)
5/16" cloth (cotton T-shirt 6 layers/folded 3 times)
3/8" paper-paperback book[non-platisic laminated covers]
1/2" air (approx)

Note: for possible embeddment purposes, the Nokia 900 wireless charging pad(non-pillow) is ~ 3/8" thick

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a TPU case for my 820, and a Nokia wireless charging pad. I realize that when I charge with the case on, my phone gets hot, the kind of hot that you can't touch it. And the charge doesn't seem to be staying. Immediately removed the case upon realizing what's causing the heat. No problems since then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon