Band Questions (vs GearFit)

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Found a Band at my local MS store, and grabbed in on an impulse. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with, compared to the GearFit.

First, I have a work S5 that works with the GearFit, so the biggest weakness (lack of compatibility) isn't an issue for me. Also, I grabbed a Fit from Best Buy for $79 (refurb). So, that's where I am starting from. So far, it has worked well.

So, with the Band:

-Does it not have a sensor to light the display when I move my wrist? I can only find a clock "on" or "off". Am I missing something?

-Is there a way to change the orientation of the screen lengthwise? So, when I look at my wrist, I am not stuck in landscape mode?

-Did I read right that I can't do a quick reply to a text on Android? That might be a deal killer...

What's the general consensus with battery life? I get about three days with the Fit.

Thanks for the help!

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Answers inline.

So, with the Band:

-Does it not have a sensor to light the display when I move my wrist? I can only find a clock "on" or "off". Am I missing something?

No

-Is there a way to change the orientation of the screen lengthwise? So, when I look at my wrist, I am not stuck in landscape mode?

Landscape only

-Did I read right that I can't do a quick reply to a text on Android? That might be a deal killer...

Incorrect. You can customize 5 quick responses for both texts and calls.

What's the general consensus with battery life? I get about three days with the Fit.

1 day with 2 or more workouts (full time HRM)
2 days with 1 workout per day. It only takes 20 or so minutes to get to 80% charge, so I slap it in whilst getting ready in the morning.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
But if you want Android Wear's integration with Google Now and having the capability of simply speaking your response, no. Currently Cortana is exclusive to Windows Phone. Additionally, even WP users cannot reply directly, and must voice command initiate a text message to so-and-so rather than contextually aware. Hopefully this is enhanced in a future update...

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, that's really helpful. The lack of a motion sensor to turn on the screen is odd, it seems to have all the components to facilitate it, right? It's a handy feature I've come to really like.

I tried a Moto360 (Android Wear), it was "neat", but not as useful as I would have liked. And the watch was just a bit too think for me. Not to mention, I was afraid to work out with it on for fear of damaging it.

Maybe with what I paid the Fit is the move right now. The Band has more whiz bang stuff, for sure, and it seems little stuff like the screen orientation and the sensor could be added with software updates?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, that's really helpful. The lack of a motion sensor to turn on the screen is odd, it seems to have all the components to facilitate it, right? It's a handy feature I've come to really like.

I tried a Moto360 (Android Wear), it was "neat", but not as useful as I would have liked. And the watch was just a bit too think for me. Not to mention, I was afraid to work out with it on for fear of damaging it.

Maybe with what I paid the Fit is the move right now. The Band has more whiz bang stuff, for sure, and it seems little stuff like the screen orientation and the sensor could be added with software updates?

the features you mention would all be great to have on the Band. I believe this can be implemented in future firmware/software updates. We need to make MS aware of this....

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I shoud have mentioned, rom what I have read about the fit, its Fit is not as good at fitness tracking as the Band. If you want fitness tracking with some smart integration go band, if you want the wiz bang with some fitness tracking go Fit.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. Turns out the lack of an "auto on" screen was a deal breaker for me. I like the device (not crazy about the flat screen, to be honest) but the lack of a vertical display option and no glance auto on were more than I was willing to trade for. Since the Fit does both, I'll stick with that for now.

I encourage those who can get to a store to check, if you still want one. I dunced into mine, while I was there getting my Surface. Seems like the things I wanted can be added with software (the vertical screen was on the update when I opened the Fit).

Stay safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon