Wearing Band on inside of wrist

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Do you have to wear the Band on the inside? It is very uncomfortable when sitting at my desk on the computer and I am scratching the heck out of it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I find it works better on the outside. But is more usable on the inside. So flip it when doing exercise (outside) and rest of time. Could be my bony wrist though!

Either way is good.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
As far as comfort goes, I can't really notice a difference either direction.

I agree with realwarder that it is more usable with the screen on the inside. Not only is the screen oriented in a way that allows easier reading when the screen is inside, but it also allows for easier access to the action and power buttons for me.

I had to return my first unit for warranty exchange. I made sure to immediately add a screen protector when I got the new one because of how easily the screen was getting scratched despite how careful I tried to be.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Theoretically, wearing the screen in 'should' be better for hr tracking, since optical sensors read capillary blood flow, but it doesn't always work out that way. I wear mine on the inside for virtually everything.......except on the treadmill. Don't know why, but screen out seems to be the only way I can get any sort of hr accuracy on the treadmill. Cycling, hiking, trail running, strength training, and everyday use seem fine with the screen in. I understand that lots of folks find it uncomfortable for computer usage, though. I have the keyboard and mouse (or trackball/trackpad whatever) near the edge so that my wrists are off the surface and that takes care of it for me. The screen certainly is more readable when worn on the inside of the wrist.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I struggle to use the touch functionality if its on the outside of my wrist.

it lives on the inside.

as for the HR monitor, it would be logical to have that sensor on the inside of your wrist instead of the outside.............

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, in my ENDLESS quest for a better understanding of optical HR sensors, I just stumbled onto another (very truthy-sounding) interesting, informative read. SPOILER: inside is probably better for HR reading.

Will the Apple Watch sensors work if the watch face is worn on the inside of the wrist? - Quora

Yes, it will still work. What you describe is the watch being worn on the 'anterior aspect of the wrist', but the wording of the question really makes it sound like the face is turned 'inside out'.

The AW is actually not a true heart rate sensor (none of them are). They use heuristics to gauge the approximate rate at which the blood vessels dilate or contract. It is possible that the readings will be off from when the watch is worn on the posterior aspect of the wrist (the 'outside of the wrist') by a couple of beats increasing actual error rates. But those rates will be insignificant to most users. It is not intended as a medical device, but as a lifestyle device, so that's fine.

The field is called photoplethysmography (PPG). It basically uses an IR detector coupled with a photodetector.
The principle behind these sensors is optical detection of blood volume changes in the microvascular bed of the tissue. The sensor system consists of a light source and a detector, with red and infrared (IR) light-emitting diodes (LEDs) commonly used as the light source. The PPG sensor monitors changes in the light intensity via reflection from or transmission through the tissue. The changes in light intensity are associated with small variations in blood perfusion of the tissue and provide information on the cardiovascular system, in particular, the pulse rate. Due to the simplicity of this device, wearable PPG pulse rate sensors have been developed.​
Wearable Photoplethysmographic Sensors?Past and Present,
Toshiyo Tamura, Yuka Maeda, Masaki Sekine and Masaki Yoshida.
Electronics 2014, 3, 282-302; doi:10.3390/electronics3020282

As long as the tissue region has sufficient blood vessels/capillary networks, there will be sufficient signal present. The wrist region has two major pulsatile arteries (radial and ulnar) that will do the job for you. Both arteries are located closer to the palmar/anterior aspect than to the dorsal/outside of the wrist. They are fairly superficially located (EMTs can measure pulse at these locations). The anterior aspect is also glabrous (lacks hair) which presents a source of noise. So it is likely that wearing it on the inside might improve the signal quality. But the accuracy of the sensor in the end just depends on how the algorithms are designed - which aspect are they 'tuned' to. So there might be some error, but not significant.

Again, remember that this is not an accurate measurement device usable for cardiovascular diagnostics no matter what claims get made. The only true non-invasive cardiovascular measurements are provided by ultrasound (doppler sonography).

​-Matt

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I just wear mine on the outside. I used to wear a watch on the inside but the screen got so scratched I decided that my Band would be best on the outside. Maybe when Band 2 comes out and it is not so sensitive to makes I will wear it on the inside.

Regards

Infinidim

smunro622

May 30, 2015
Visit site
As i wear a suit jacket i wear it on the inside of my wrist with no issues. I have not noticed any difference in any of the results either.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I find it works better on the outside. But is more usable on the inside. So flip it when doing exercise (outside) and rest of time. Could be my bony wrist though!

Either way is good.

I have a bigger wrist and also find it more comfortable to wear on the outside. The flat screen just does not feel good on the inside. My wrist is more round on the inside and closer to flat on the outside. If the screen was round fitting.....this all changes as functionally it works much easier on the inside.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wear it on the inside 100% of the time. Just better that way and I can check notifications discreetly. If you're scratching it while typing on the keyboard, you're not typing correctly.

lol, seriously.

Ergonomically, you're typing wrong. Your wrist should not be resting on the desk, only the foot of your palm. If done correctly, the Band doesn't really get scratched.

ergonomics-keyboard-hands.jpg

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
AW known for inaccurate HR readings should not be compared to MSB.
The band IMO was designed to be worn on the outside with the HR sensor facing the inside of the wrist.
It has higher level of accuracy the other OHR sensors on other products. If it was better on the outside (sensor) of the wrist MS would have swapped position of the sensor and charging connector.
I am not saying it can't be worn either way because it can be worn and give measurements both ways. But when I wear it facing inside (for Hockey) it has a little bit of a harder time maintaining locked in connection and I have less luck getting the one and two min. readings.

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I wear it inside 100% of the time. Works fine. I find wearing it on the outside is not only uncomfortable, but difficult to read & use.

The marketing materials show it being worn both ways, so, one hopes, it was designed with either preference in mind.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've tried it both ways, finally settled on the outside. It's more functional as a watch that way, easier to use the Starbucks tile, etc. For reading exercise results, it's like having a piece of paper turned a bit on my desk, I can still read it without turning to exactly align with me.
I have seen a number of MSFT employees wearing the band, I'd say the majority wear it on the inside, but that's just based on informal observations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon