Benefit of having a windows phone?

daymouse

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Currently got iPhone 6 and was looking at having a dabble with a lumia 930.

Just wanted to know what the benefits are of having a Windows phone over iOS when it comes to the MS Band 2?

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to know what the benefits are of having a Windows phone over iOS when it comes to the MS Band 2?

Not much really. I think Cortana (if you live in the states) is the only feature that is missing with iOS. And (not sure) but actionable notifications(?)/notification sync.

DKatman

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I am also IOS. I was interested in trying out a windows phone. I believe with Windows phone you can also respond to texts with pre-canned responses (Android can also do this, IOS won't allow this) and use Cortana to dictate text responses.

Edited to add that windows phone should also add a keyboard for responding to texts.

Dave

Last edited:

Davide Moriello

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I am also IOS. I was interested in trying out a windows phone. I believe with Windows phone you can also respond to texts with pre-canned responses (Android can also do this, IOS won't allow this) and use Cortana to dictate text responses.

Edited to add that windows phone should also add a keyboard for responding to texts.

Dave

I have an android and I can reply text with the little keyboard. I have tested it yesterday and it's working fine

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched from WP to iPhone. The feature I miss most is the VIP feature. So, the Band would see the emails I was getting and I could quickly browse them, but it would only vibrate when I received one from a VIP. With the iPhone, there's the VIP feature on the phone itself, but now I only get the emails from the VIPs on my Band. Not a deal breaker, but that was definitely a nice feature.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind complicating your life a bit, you can buy a Lumia 640 for $50 and use it as a wi-fi device for your Band/Band 2. The range you can stray would be limited to your wi-fi but if you are using a treadmill or doing your workouts at home, you would have Cortana and notifications for the Band/Band 2. The only thing missing would be the calls that go through your wireless carrier.

daymouse

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
You're missing out on my app. :wink: GamerBand
All my colleagues and friends have Windows Phone so I've not felt motivated to learn how to write iOS apps as yet.

Thats a great app well done, good idea!

Well I've managed to find a Lumia 930 for ?120 refurbished so picking it up tomorrow. Will give it a try see how i get on. I went through all my apps and theres 2 apps that are missing which is Amazon Music which is a pain but theres other sources of music and Santander which isn't my main bank only for savings so thats not too bad.

g2red89

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I've honestly been thinking about getting a cheap windows phone and using it as my "work" phone so I can respond to texts on my wrist and stuff. The only problem I see is having to reset the device each time I want to switch from iphone to windows phone. Seems too cumbersome. The only feature I really want is to be able to respond to text. @Davide Moriello You mean even android phones can respond to texts on the band? Wow, why does apple have to be so complicated. I may have to get a cheap android or something and see. Is there anyway I can forward texts from my iphone to my "new and cheap" windows phone and respond to those on my band? I think I'm asking for too much lol.

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

None if you have a 950 or 950XL....The Brainiacs at MS cant even figure out a way to pair their OWN Band 2 with their OWN MS Phone.....

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If the past predicts the future, as WM10 stabilizes and the number of users starts slowly growing, they will hold off on developing new phones for a year or so, then replace the OS with a new iteration that will be built from the ground up.

I think they should call this latest set of phones the Windows Pane and Windows Pane XL.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I guess I am atypical compared to most people who populate this site, but I've been very happy with my recent and current MS products. I have my Band 2 paired with my 950XL, and It is working well except for VIP email, which is a pretty minor thing for me. It has taken a couple of days to get everything set up on my new phone, but I think that is normal for just about any device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes