Band 2 band cracked/split

Sherminator98

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
My Band split yesterday after about 2 1/2 months of usage. I went to the MS store at Christina Mall with my wife (who got it for me for my B-day) and the rep at the store said it was abuse on my part and I had to pay $30 fee to get a new replacement, even though I had insurance on it. I'm kind of pissed about the situation and its obviously a defect in the design since the other side started getting a crack in it also.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, I can't believe there are so many others experiencing the same issue I am. I did not expect to see so many threads complaining about a cracked band. At least I know I'm not alone in this. I'm going to go to the Microsoft Store tomorrow and see about getting this replaced along with my 950XL. That either just wants to restart 5 times a day or never unlock when I press the power button. I got both at launch, so hopefully I will fare better with more recently manufactured hardware. WP_20160221_04_11_40_Rich_LI (2).jpg

pfletcher7

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Same here.. Sent it in last week, also got the letter saying that it wasn't covered.. Frustrating for sure. Until I saw this thread I totally thought I'd cut it in some mysteriously way.

WP_20160208_08_55_27_Pro_LI (2).jpg

How does everybody else wear them? Just wondering if there is some kind of consistency to it. I generally wear with the face on top of my wrist.
Same for anyone else?

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been wearing my band face palm side. The band that tore was a large and I left it on all the time. On my wrist the large was about 2 clicks from fully tight. Because I had a feeling the replacement (I'm sending mine back to MS for the second time today for warranty replacement) would take some time so I actually purchased a second band 2. My second band 2 is a medium and I only wear this one during the day. On my wrist the medium is about 3 clicks from open. I babying this one for sure but if this one starts to tear I'm done and going back to android wear.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I went into the nearest Windows store on Sunday and they replaced both the Band 2 and 950XL. For the band, they just straight up swapped it out for a new one, no questions asked. Getting the phone replaced took a bit more effort, but they swapped that out at well.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Last night my Band 2 strap cracked open.
This morning I logged onto the Microsoft site, registered my Band 2, called them and was informed that I could:
A. Take my band 2 to any Microsoft store and swap it out for a new one, no questions asked no money
B. Ship my band 2 to support and they would ship me another free of charge

They stand by their product. They know there are durability issues with this model and informed me the engineers are working on a solution.
You get a 1 year warranty and free replacements.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Last night my Band 2 strap cracked open.
This morning I logged onto the Microsoft site, registered my Band 2, called them and was informed that I could:
A. Take my band 2 to any Microsoft store and swap it out for a new one, no questions asked no money
B. Ship my band 2 to support and they would ship me another free of charge

They stand by their product. They know there are durability issues with this model and informed me the engineers are working on a solution.
You get a 1 year warranty and free replacements.

Many people have sent their band back only to have it returned with a note saying the damage is considered normal wear and tear and is not covered by the warranty. I would be inclined to get to a Microsoft store and return it there.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to post back that I took my Band 2 with a cracked open strap to the Microsoft Store this Saturday.

They swapped it out for a brand new one out of the box right there in front of me. No fuss no muss.

The store has been doing a lot of that and Microsoft knows there is something wrong with the compound they used so they are not giving any grief on exchanging them.

I fully expect to have to do this again until they fix the issue.

PWFlyMan

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here but a crack in the screen has given MS an excuse NOT to replace my band. I think that's a poor service, clearly there is a problem and I don't even notice the crack anymore, I just want the strap fixed.

Ray Liczkowski

May 20, 2016
Visit site
image.jpeg
My band went today, didn't notice it. My friend who bought his at the same time as me was showing me the tear on his band, then I noticed I had one too...

Not even had it for 60 days :( and I am pretty sure there are no Microsoft stores in the UK.

Jeff Bennion

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Mine started with a small crack on one edge and then migrated across the band. At some point the sleep detection went wonky, I assume that was related. (A 7 hour sleep would show no actual sleep--I toss and turn a lot, but not THAT bad!)

Today I took it to the MS store in downtown Salt Lake City. They said they would replace it ONE time, or just give me my money back. They were obviously quite familiar with the problem. I elected to replace it. (I elected to replace it, because I LOVE my Band 2!) I bought the purchase protection plan, and they offered to refund that, because they said they wouldn't keep replacing it. They also said they have no plans to fix it. This was just the retail representative, so take it for what it's worth, but that was my experience. They seem well aware of the problem, but no long-term solution seems in the offing.

Raylz

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
same here on my band 2 after 3 months a small crack has appeared but i have no warranty on it ,what do i do?

Last edited:

Aaron Greenhill

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
My wife has swapped one in-store already, no charge. It was the same rubber-splitting problem. Here we are again with the same problem. Seems to happen about once every four months. This time we'll be asking about a full refund. I don't see how MS can expect to swap it out like this... it's a bad deal for us AND Microsoft.

My wife wears it daily - very gently (desk job). If you're a very active person and tried to use this device daily, I suspect you'd get a month or two max before the rubber splits.

Last time in the store the employee said they get people in weekly if not daily to swap them out because of the rubber-splitting issue!

Aaron Greenhill

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
@Raylz If it's only 3 months old, take your receipt and/or proof of purchase into a MS store for an exchange. For some reason if you mail it in they'll blame you and say it's not covered under warranty.

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Gutted, just took mine off charge and noticed the crack exactly where others have had it. I've always tried to be careful with it, but you are supposed to wear it all the time! No close stores here in the UK so will have to send it back and hope for the best. This is the second one I've had, first one the bluetooth stopped working. Hope I get one of the reported new thicker straps.

WP_20160725_19_30_36_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited:

Ray Liczkowski

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Bought my first one back in March this year, that split after two months, the shop I got it from replaced so no issue there, well on my 3rd band now and that has just split so as of this month it will be 4 bands since March all split. So I get roughly 2 months worth of life out of my straps. Have tried medium and large size with no difference, small is too small. But now the MS promo is off and the band is back up to full price, it was a little bit more troublesome to return and not be forced to pay th difference.
Keep hoping microsoft deal with this issue as I do genuinely love the band itself. But now I am researching other fitness trackers as Incan keep returning it every two months..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon