Rubber strap splitting on Band2

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
This is obviously a design flaw. The rubber material is wearing and eventually failing at the contact point of the edge of the display housing. I don't expect a device like this to last indefinitely but I think it is reasonable to expect a year with normal use.

Pete C1

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Wow. I had the exact same problem, and I walked into a Microsoft store, showed them, and they handed me a new one in less than 10 minutes.

MCTM

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I've just had the same conversation. My band split after less than 2 months - you can see the wiring which can't be good news. My argument is that the wristband is an integral part of the product and needs to be fit for purpose. My last band (the original version) did the same and it was replaced with no problem after 6 months of use. I'm hoping they will play ball otherwise it's off to trading standards.....

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have microsoft complete, when I walked in and showed uit to them they initially didnt want to replace it without using microsoft complete, but then I talked to the manager and she made them swap it out immediately and without using my microsoft complete (but updated the serial number on my insurance)

glbsolutions

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I bought my Band 2 from the online UK MS Store less than 2 months ago and it has a split the same as the pictures above. When I called to get it replaced under normal warranty they did try and fob me off but you have to be persistent, tell them you have seen multiple instances of the same issue on the forums and it's clearly a design fault. They did agree to swap mine eventually

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
So I have just ordered my third band. Third time lucky I hope.

Band one split but in a different location that others have experienced. I bought this from Amazon and they took it back no questions asked.

Band two was Amazon also, it arrived yesterday and is going straight back. I ordered it as new, the box seals were open, and when I opened it and check the condition (to make sure no nicks were in the strap), I was shocked at the condition (see attached pictures), yes, this was sold to me as new stock. To give Amazon their dues, they are taking it back no questions, have apologised and are opening an investigation as I have sent them the photos. I am getting an early refund and some Amazon vouchers.

WP_20160211_11_51_28_Rich.jpg

WP_20160211_11_51_43_Rich.jpg

WP_20160211_11_51_16_Rich.jpg

WP_20160211_11_49_35_Rich.jpg

Band Three is on order from Microsoft UK Store (online) only because it had ?30 off yesterday (and currently still does now). I am really hoping that I get a good copy that lasts. I have really missed the Band and its functions.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Please keep us informed...

I went to the Microsoft Store today and the manager replaced the Band 2 under warranty. Initially the salesperson wanted to use MS Complete but after they had difficulty looking up my information the manager told him to just use the warranty. The salesperson said he hadn't seen that type of damage before and asked me what happened to it.

RyanJo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I went to the Microsoft Store today and the manager replaced the Band 2 under warranty. Initially the salesperson wanted to use MS Complete but after they had difficulty looking up my information the manager told him to just use the warranty. The salesperson said he hadn't seen that type of damage before and asked me what happened to it.

I also had somewhat similar experience. Went in and they said they had never seen or heard of it before. They said they get updates from microsoft on common defects/issues and this one had been mentioned yet. I could tell they thought I was lying that it was a known problem and even heard the manager mumble that I was abusing the system since she saw that I had traded my faulty Band 1 for the Band 2. I have been through 3 Bands and now on my second Band 2, I bought the Complete coverage now but honestly I may switch to something else because this is annoying. I just hate having to explain that I didn't cause the issue every time I go in for these silly defects. Other than that I do love the Band.

BigPhilB6000

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Band2, as I was a big fan of the Band. Yesterday, I noticed a small horizontal split in the strap next to the battery end of the strap.
I'll go through the warranty support process and report back...IMG_20160222_062908.jpg

Fixxxer80

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah noticed yesterday mine has started splitting on both sides right where it becomes flexible, mine is 3 months old., not happy my band 1 lasted 9 months before the heart rate sensor stopped working (and it also split where the sensor joined the band), and because it wasn't released in Australia (where i live) i have to go back to the store I purchased it from (in the USA) so i just decided to upgrade to the band 2 instead. Replacing the band 1 was too difficult, atleast the band 2 is sold in Australia so hopefully the warranty process will be easier

MCTM

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
My band split badly after 2 months of normal use. I returned it and have just received the old band back saying they won't replace it under warranty. I am appalled at this service and will be following it up vigorously, I don't expect to pay that sort of money for something which obviously isn't manufactured properly. Wonder if Microsoft have a Facebook page where I can shame them more publicly.....

tjdubya

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft has an official channel for collecting this feedback at microsofthealth.uservoice(dot)com/forums/283636-microsoft-health-and-microsoft-band/suggestions/12437835-fix-design-flaw-in-band-2-strap-which-causes-separ.

I can't link to it because I'm a new member, but I've included a link to it in the embedded Tweet, and included the photo so you can find it an upvote it on the site: Screenshot 2016-03-01 13.21.30.png

Last edited:

felstriker

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has an official channel for collecting this feedback at microsofthealth.uservoice(dot)com/forums/283636-microsoft-health-and-microsoft-band/suggestions/12437835-fix-design-flaw-in-band-2-strap-which-causes-separ.

I can't link to it because I'm a new member, but I've included a link to it in the embedded Tweet, and included the photo so you can find it an upvote it on the site: View attachment 123110

Just sent mine back for the same issue -_- also great link iv commented and upvoted it. I love my band but having it for only 2 and a half months and this to happen means the device is not fit for purpose. I don't do any strenuous activity but used it 95% of the time... But something like this shouldn't happen people are meant to do weights and full on gym work and stuff which should be way more of a risk so surely the build quality should hold up....... They better address this issue in the band 3. Also great idea about the shoe goo better get some -_-

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear quality issues with Band 2. While I still use Band 1 every day, I was considering taking advantage of the Band 2 sale and my Amazon gift card to purchase a Band 2 for $125. Based on these issues, though, I think I'll pass.

mas999

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Purchased mine on the 4th December.
I only wear it like a normal watch , strap starting to split and am trying to get it repaired under warranty
like all the previous photos it seems to be occurring where the metal lug holding the screen is embedded into the strap, I wonder is it being filed correctly during manufacture

Will let you know how

felstriker

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Purchased mine on the 4th December.
I only wear it like a normal watch , strap starting to split and am trying to get it repaired under warranty
like all the previous photos it seems to be occurring where the metal lug holding the screen is embedded into the strap, I wonder is it being filed correctly during manufacture

Will let you know how

Just checked I bought mine on the 10th jan and I sent it back on the 1st march -_- mine didnt last too long

thefamouspb

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Mine suffered the same fault. A split opened up in the rubber about 20mm from the screen. It's a medium that I wear at the tightest setting.

I sent it off to Microsoft (from UK to Germany) and they've just sent it back, unrepaired. They said they found evidence of intentional damage! I spoke to Microsoft Band support and asked if they could escalate the issue, however as I'd returned it in a padded envelope and not a box, they wouldn't!! Quoted me ?133+VAT to repair. So now I have a ?200 paper weight. Won't be buying another.:angry:

Deth8ball

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine split exactly the same way as the pictures. Basically along the seam where it goes from rigid to flexible.
I contacted support, which asked for a photo and said it would be fine to replace. I sent it in. 3 weeks later, today, it came back with a note saying it's not covered and I have to pay to get it fixed.
I'm furious.
I got it at release, and shortly after found I needed to have an operation that stopped me doing exercise, so it has had ultra light use, basically sleep and step tracking for the most part. - and the strap can't handle that? Clearly not fit for purpose!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon