What if the Band cancellation rumors are a ruse?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
But note what they did NOT say. They didn't say "there are no plans to introduce a new Microsoft fitness device". They said "no plans to introduce a new Microsoft Band fitness device".

Given that "Health" is continuing despite not having anyone else feed it data (that I can see), I think the difference is significant.

See: Microsoft Zune, Microsoft Surface RT, Windows CE

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But note what they did NOT say. They didn't say "there are no plans to introduce a new Microsoft fitness device". They said "no plans to introduce a new Microsoft Band fitness device".

Given that "Health" is continuing despite not having anyone else feed it data (that I can see), I think the difference is significant.

Yep, Microsoft Health fitness device incoming! :wink:

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Some of the most important data M$ gets from me is from my Band,
Why would they give that up?
How else could they still have Health without the Band?
Unless they plan on opening "Health" to other HW makers, but why would garmin or someone want that, except free cloud?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not heavy into conspiracy but unless I'm wrong the Band 2 was fairly successful and I really don't see why thye'd kill it. Add the fact that they haven't announced they were killing it ans you could be onto something. I surely hope so because I love by Band 2 and was looking forward to Band 3.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, the Oct 26th event has come and gone - and nada. I was sure that between MS's support for continuing Health and ending supplies of Band 2 earlier this month, that they'd be announcing SOMTHING today. I guess I'll just keep wearing the one I have until it dies and then look around.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm seeing Fitbits at Microsoft Store online, so I think Microsoft Band is going away.

They were there long before the Band was discontinued. Just like how the MS Store sells brands like HP and Dell that compete with Surface.

While disappointing, I'll wait for the February event before declaring the Band dead. MS says their continuing with Health and that makes no sense with nothing to feed it.

revolta

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
There have been plenty of rumors lately implying or indicating that Microsoft is cancelling the Microsoft Band line. But, what if it's all an intentional ruse? Something dawned on me the other day; Panos Panay is now in charge of virtually all hardware at Microsoft, including the Band line. He's not really keen on leaks. Last year, there were very few leaks about the Band 2 until just before the announcement, and there were virtually zero major rumors about the Surface line (especially the Surface Book, with the exception of Paul Thurrot the night before the unveil). What if the latest Band rumors are intentional moves by Panos, to prevent sites like WIndows Central from stealing his thunder (which he actually requested at the Oct. event last year, when talking about the phones).

The alternative could be that these rumors are not from Panos, but rather a reaction to his team preventing leaks from getting out. In that, leakers have assumed the product line has been cancelled, because they are no longer able to get any actual information.

Thoughts?

Except that Microsoft themselves put out a statement I think. I remember reading an article from Mary Jo with a statement from MS about how they don't plan to release a device 'at this time'.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I would love for the Band series to continue in some other form. I love my Band 2 but I have switched to a Fitbit Surge because I got one from my wife as a Christmas present. Sure, it doesn't get notifications, but it is fine for running and the battery life is enough for me too. I just hope that MS release some new wearables in the future. The ironic thing about now using a Fitbit is that I read MS were supposedly in plans to actually buy Fitbit. They could do that, rebrand the devices and have a complete line-up of ready to sell MS Health wearables....or not (most likely).

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Except that Microsoft themselves put out a statement I think. I remember reading an article from Mary Jo with a statement from MS about how they don't plan to release a device 'at this time'.

Are you thinking about Microsoft pulls Band listings from its Store; admits no Band 3 this year?

It says Health will continue, but aside from a pedometer available via a app, there's no other devices that feed MS Health. So unless something comes along soon (and it doesn't have to be Microsoft, and even if it was, it doesn't have to be a Band), Health is dead.

The fact that Health now lists the "source" if it's information starting Dec 1st seems to indicate that SOMETHING new will be along soon. Band 1 seemed to drop out of the sky, so MS seems to be able to keep a secret - when they want to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon