Just wondering if anyone has any theories regarding Spotify Connect and the Invoke End of Life.

My thinking is that Spotify Connect requires a wi-fi/internet connection...but I don't think it requires Cortana. I'm concerned that if I allow my Invoke to receive the firmware update in January 2021 (which will remove wi-fi capabilies and Cortana) then Spotify Connect will stop working.
    BUT...if I disconnect my Invoke prior to the firmware update...and leave it disconnected for six months until they stop pushing the firmware update...them maybe I can salvage the Spotify Connect functionality?

And I find it irritating that the firmware update is being framed as a goodbye present because it will enable bluetooth. Here is a quote taken from a Windows Central article: "A firmware update will ship to the Harman Kardon in early 2021 that will allow people to use the device as a Bluetooth speaker". I guess they don't realize that the Invoke can already be used as a bluetooth speaker?!?
    08-04-2020 09:15 PM
    I would like to know this as well. Maybe we could provide our MAC addresses to Microsoft and they could blacklist those of us who didn't want the update. I'd assume Spotify would just keep working just fine and we'd just get errors with Cortana, I'm just fine with that. Spotify connect audio quality is FAR better than Bluetooth. I'd rather not shelve the invoke for 6 months.
    08-06-2020 04:33 PM
    I would like to know this as well. Maybe we could provide our MAC addresses to Microsoft and they could blacklist those of us who didn't want the update. I'd assume Spotify would just keep working just fine and we'd just get errors with Cortana, I'm just fine with that. Spotify connect audio quality is FAR better than Bluetooth. I'd rather not shelve the invoke for 6 months.
    Same here. I've actually given up on using Cortana on my invoke a long time ago, but I've been using Spotify Connect on it extensively. Removing Wi-Fi functionality from the device is not explicitly mentioned in Microsoft's message, but it seems that this is indeed their intention. That would be utterly shameful and a lousy move by Microsoft. Those of us who have purchase the speaker paid for a high-quality Wi-Fi speaker with Cortana, Spotify Connect and Bluetooth. I can accept removing a software/cloud feature like Cortana, and such a move makes total business sense for MSFT as they are focusing Cortana on productivity/enterprise use, but removing Wi-Fi support is taking away what I consider to be a Hardware feature and a critical piece of functionality from this product. In fact, I fail to understand how that is even something that Microsoft can do - as far as I recall, the device was available for purchased from Harman, and they should stand behind their product in at least keeping its hardware functionality.
    As for Bluetooth audio, I can't begin to count its shortcomings vs. Wi-Fi. Starting with the functionality of a phone doubling as a source device for the music (think "all phone audio playing on speaker" - what happens when you want to play a short video on your device while listening to music on the speaker with friends, or take a phone call without stopping the music? Impossible without Wi-Fi), continuing with the need to stay within 30 feet of the speaker for the music to play vs. being able to leave the premises while the music continues to play on Wi-Fi (think a house party, going out to get more beer), and ending with the audio quality - including bit rate and interference. True, Spotify only supports up to 328kbps streaming bit rate today, but that could change if they adopt hi-res audio. And Invoke only supports the standard SBC Bluetooth codec (no aptX / LDAC / LHDC), which gives you up to 328kbps, but in noisy conditions you will get far lower effective bit rate. In comparison, Wi-Fi will pull the stream directly from Spotify's servers, leave your phone to do other tasks, not consume your phone's battery life, allow you to start the stream and leave the premises, and work at pretty much any bitrate that Spotify decides to support.
    Bottom line, either this is a misunderstanding, or Microsoft and Harman need to compensate customers with a lot more than a $50 gift card if they remove Wi-Fi support from this speaker.
    09-04-2020 04:28 PM