Using DisplayPort-to-DVI Cable on Microsoft Display Dock?

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My monitor only has DVI ports. Truth be told, I know nothing about how the DisplayPort works, so I got this cable for free and tried it. It didn't work. Not too much drama over a free item, but I am wondering:

• Have people gotten the DisplayPort to work with DVI, or is it not working through DisplayPort yet?
  • If so, what cables do you use?
I'm hoping to try to return these cables and get something that works. Any reporting of it working, and recommendations for cables, is appreciated.

Edit: I went back to my local computer store and picked up an HDMI to DVI cable instead after reading this FAQ on the Microsoft site. I plugged it into my monitor via DVI and it's working fine and dandy, now.

Last edited:

Robin Tick

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I had no luck getting a 1920x1200 DVI monitor to work using a passive DVI to DisplayPort cable, the screen was getting a signal but no image, just black.
Not sure if it's the resolution or the cable that is the issue.
A different monitor that's native 1920x1080 did work while connectiong through it's native HDMI cable, the screen was jittery though.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Using an HDMI to DVI cable worked great for me. I believe the FAQ implied that a DisplayPort to DVI needs to be active and not passive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro