USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter as an alternate display dock

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I was too impatient to wait for my free display dock from Microsoft so I got the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and surprisingly it work pretty well. I figured I'll keep it since it will probably be easier to carry around than the display dock.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Does the Apple Adapter even come with a charger? If not it's probably just more cost effective to buy a Display Dock. The free one is taking soem time to ship, but if you purchase one paid it should ship immediately.

Apple's USB-C charger only does 2.4A at 5V and 2A at 14.5V, apparently, so it isn't going to charge your 950 at the full 3A fast charging speeds.

But then, the official Microsoft Display Dock doesn't output the full 3A either. (The Display Dock requires 3A input power, but only outputs 2A power according to its specs.)

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
It has a Usb-c port intended for charging, so you plug in (I assume) the charger end to there, plug a Usb keyboard and hdmi to the respective ports, then plug the adapter into the phone.

At the price point the Display Dock is better, but the Apple adapter, if it works, is a bit more portable--and doesn't require to be plugged in to use?

OP, do you need to put power into the adapter to use it?

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
No doesn't require power, works perfectly. I am having some issues with usb flash drives but that could be the drives issue (wireless keyboard and mouse works fine). I think it should be more portable I haven't received my free dock yet so lets see. But with 79$ price tag, will have to see if I'll keep it once i get the display dock.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
But if you, say, plug the adaptor in the phone, then plug a charger into the USB-C end of the adaptor, does it work in charging the phone, like how it works to charge a MacBook Air?

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
that's too bad; i would've bought it no question if it did.
I know, but it might make sense some how, since mac use different voltage I assume.
Maybe there will be adaptor more for mobile device, like nexus 6p could work for 950 too. And also buying the apple adaptor costs almost same as the display dock, looking for more third party cheaper ones will make more sense.

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Well at least its make me happy to know that products for other devices work with continuum. There will probably be more 3rd party accessories available for macbooks than windows phones.

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Got my free display dock today. Man that thing is big and heavy. I am going to keep this adapter because first, I don't need to plug in a power cable to it (for it to run) and its also very light compared to the display dock. So display dock is docked in my office while the adapter goes with me.

ozkame

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Actually I have the same apple adapter - in my case it does charge with an ipad charger, but not with the supplied MS charger for my 950XL. I have had no luck with usb drives via the apple dock so far.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Actually I have the same apple adapter - in my case it does charge with an ipad charger, but not with the supplied MS charger for my 950XL. I have had no luck with usb drives via the apple dock so far.
Do you mean if you use apple charger plus USB-c cable , you can charge Lumia thru the adaptor, but not the charger of Lumia itself? It would really help if you can have picture of this. And dose a regular USB charger work? and for the USB drive have you try to use it when charging/plug-in with the iPad charger though.

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site

That's interesting. I hadn't tried it with the Apple chargers (I don't own one). I haven't had luck with usb drives either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb