Compatible display dock usb-c to usb-c cables

Sidabras

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

after one week of usage, one of the ends of my display dock's usb-c to usb-c cables broke, and I can't use it no more.

I bought 'Sandberg' usb-c to usb-c cable, it can connect, but phone keeps on notifying about 'not compatible' cable, and the external screen goes black very occasionally and the quality on screen seems very bad.

Has anyone dealt with this situation and bought other usb-c cables ? Which of these are compatible with display dock ?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
There are two types of USB-C cables. USB 2.0 cables use fewer wires and are completely passive. USB 3.1 cables are active cables that identify themselves to hardware. The USB 2.0 cables don't have the necessary wires for USB-C's DisplayPort alternate mode. In order for Continuum to work, you need a USB 3.1 Type-C cable.

I haven't used it for extended periods of time to know if it'll have the same issues, and it's definitely not as good build quality as Microsoft's cable, but I've used this one successfully for about 5 minutes. For a second I thought it didn't work, but then I realized it didn't slide in as smoothly as Microsoft's and sort of needed two 'clicks' in: Amazon.com: Full-featured USB Type C Cable, PLESON? (3.3ft) USB 3.1 Type C to Type C cable, USB C to USB C charging cable for Apple new MacBook, ChromeBook Pixel, Nokia N1 Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Lumia 950/ 950XL: Cell Phones & Accessories

You might want to contact Microsoft about a warranty replacement though too.

Sidabras

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The cable i bought is USB-C male to USB-C male USB 3.1 Gen. 2 . So i think this should work too, right? But it doesn't. I guess Microsoft display dock only fully works with identified cable, which they don't sell, so I'm in not so pleasant place.

Maybe do you know who I should contact online? Because I'm from Lithuania, and here Microsoft support is only for software, not hardware.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The cable i bought is USB-C male to USB-C male USB 3.1 Gen. 2 . So i think this should work too, right?

It should work, yes. Honestly I couldn't say why it wouldn't. I'll have to test out the cable I mentioned for longer periods to see if there's any issue.

atrociousonpc

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same darn place. Just got my kids a dog and, as wonderful as she is, she chewed through my display dock cable that connects to my 950. Sad that i can't find the cable with Microsoft or At&t. Will give that cable a try.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I think all usb-C to usb-C cords should work, unlike usb-c to USB-A which some might be only USB 2.0, all USB C to C are basic pin to pin connections, so in theory they should all work the same way. But be sure the cable is in true a USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 3 cable (for the cable there 's not different as those two both use USB c to c ) I know for sure the one works is Belkin USB-C to USB-C , which might be pricy cost about $30 https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...in.com%2Fus%2Fp%2FP-F2CU030%2F&token=x3XiaboV or the Apple USB-C to C, which costs a little more.

atrociousonpc

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Ha ha... The dog. Kids are trained. I bought the cable from amazon but no luck. Get error message saying use cable that came with dock or compatible. It's a Usb type c to usb type c 3.1 ... Sucks I can't get it to work.

atrociousonpc

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Wow... I am just... At a loss for words. Just got off the phone with Microsoft Mobile Support and was told they don't have replacement cables available, and to visit the nearest MS store for questions. (There are none in my city) Big strike against MS Imo.

Update: After getting off the phone with MS Mobile Support department, i contacted the hardware/accessory replacement department... they didn't have it and transferred me to the Microsoft Mobile Support (go figure)... after being told, again, that they didn't have the cable, i was told to call the Microsoft Store. You can guess what their response was... they transferred me to acccessory support... I have since given up. I sent a very passionate email to Microsoft. Looks like the only way i'm going to be able to use my dock is to buy a new one for $99 . So the cable, if you really think about it, is $99. Severely disappointed with MS for this. While it was my fault that the cable was damaged, MS should have replacements available for purchase. I mean, this product is currently being sold and it's not like it's a discontinued item. I have already tried cables from Amazon. Nothing works. And, of course, At&t doesn't have replacement cables for purchase... shoot, they don't even carry the charger for the 950. Hoping MS redeems themselves.

Last edited:

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
... mean, this product is currently being sold and it's not like it's a discontinued item. I have already tried cables from Amazon. Nothing works. And, of course, At&t doesn't have replacement cables for purchase... shoot, they don't even carry the charger for the 950. Hoping MS redeems themselves.
Have you try the Belkin one I suggested? I know it works since I tried on myself. It cost about $30, pricy compared to Amazon, but it is high quality and you can buy from local staples or best buy, and you can return it.

atrociousonpc

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, i have not. I will order that cable and give it a try. $30 is better than buying a new dock. Thank you.

Update: Just found that same cable on Amazon for $20.46 new. Ordered it and will post update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills