More Automation Capabilities for Cortana

anseld1986

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I came to Windows Phone from webOS and had an amazing app called Mode Switcher (Mode Switcher | webOS Nation) there which was perfect for automating tasks (and in fact, has been the biggest thing I miss from that operating system since switching). When Cortana was announced, this was something that seemed to me like it could be a perfect fit for a personal assistant, and something which could help her to truly remain a step above Siri and Google Now.
The appeal of Mode Switcher was that it allowed you to set triggers to make events happen (and I think Nokia used to have something called "Situations" that was very similar). For example, when I was at home (determined by being connected to a specific wifi-network or GPS location) my phone would turn off its security settings so I didn't have to type it in everytime I used it (since I was the only person at my house) - when I left, it would turn the security settings back on. The phone also knew to turn the equivalent of "Quiet Hours" on ONLY when I was at home - if I was out with friends I didn't want to have everything silenced just because it was 11PM. It allowed the phone to be much 'smarter.'
​For security purposes, I understand why Microsoft hasn't allowed a similar type of app on Windows Phone - this is where Cortana could come in. The ability to set rules through Cortana to automate these types of things would make for an even better experience without having to expose security settings to third-party developers - only Cortana would be able to control these things.

To give you some quick bullet points, having an automated "Rules" section of Cortana's notebook would allow users to set up tasks similar to the following:

- Turn off my security pin-code when I am at home;
- Do not activate Quiet Hours if I am not at home;
- Turn on my rewards card app whenever I arrive at my grocery store and open to that particular rewards card;
- Open driving mode and start my GPS app when I get in the car and connect to my bluetooth;
- Turn off my pin-code when I am driving so I don't have to actually type on the phone to unlock it;
- Set certain brightness settings when I have a game or my Kindle app open and active;
- Silence my phone when I have a movie event listed on my calendar and I am located at that theater's GPS coordinates.
- Silence my phone and auto-respond to phone calls with an away message when I am at the office and have a calendar event titled "Client Meeting."

(This has also been posted as an idea on the Cortana Uservoice -
Give Cortana More Automation Capabilities – Cortana Feedback
)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Always nice to see a webOS user here.

I actually didn't think about it but now that you mention it, its something Id really like to see.

Thanks for bringing it up, 3 vote!

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I love how Cortana reads and lets me respond to text messages through my car's audio system. Is there a way to "Activate" Cortana from a Steering Wheel button so I can tell her to send a Text to someone? Now I have to physically activate her and then I can talk to her through the car's audio system. Want to be able to activate her without reaching for the phone....

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love how Cortana reads and lets me respond to text messages through my car's audio system. Is there a way to "Activate" Cortana from a Steering Wheel button so I can tell her to send a Text to someone? Now I have to physically activate her and then I can talk to her through the car's audio system. Want to be able to activate her without reaching for the phone....

I believe you can tell your car to "Call Cortana"

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

Once your phone is paired to your car's bluetooth system, Cortana will appear automatically as a contact (just like any other, but you'll have to use your car's system UI to reach it, cause this feature's not reachable through phone I'm afraid). So then, simply call Cortana and that's how you'll activate her handsfreely. Note that there are devices (cars included) that don't need this "workaround", and e.g. keeping the "send" button pressed for "n" seconds will activate "her".

The original lumias earphones have this feature. Keeping that button pressed will activate Cortana! Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon