11-15-2014 01:15 PM
64 123
tools
    Which customers? The few on WP or the multi-millions on iOS & Android. To Microsoft, they're customers too. In fact, up until recently they were paying customers. Which squeaky wheel do you suppose is getting the grease?
    That's exactly what I have a problem with, why should non-WP users get a free ride. Microsoft aren't going to be making any money out of them so what's the motivation to do this in the first place?
    11-14-2014 05:55 PM
    That's exactly what I have a problem with, why should non-WP users get a free ride. Microsoft aren't going to be making any money out of them so what's the motivation to do this in the first place?

To keep them away from Google Docs and iWork.
    11-14-2014 06:12 PM
    To keep them away from Google Docs and iWork.
    Correct. 97% of smartphone users don't use WP, and for probably 99% of those Google Docs and iWorks are sufficient. Lack of Office would cause very few to switch to WP.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    spaulagain likes this.
    11-14-2014 06:27 PM
    Which customers? The few on WP or the multi-millions on iOS & Android. To Microsoft, they're customers too. In fact, up until recently they were paying customers. Which squeaky wheel do you suppose is getting the grease?

Just because there are fewer WP customers doesn't make them any less customers so they should be treated the same. It begs the question then, why be a Microsoft customer when they will shaft you when there are fewer of you than another segment of users?
    neo158 likes this.
    11-14-2014 06:36 PM
    Just because there are fewer WP customers doesn't make them any less customers so they should be treated the same. It begs the question then, why be a Microsoft customer when they will shaft you when there are fewer of you than another segment of users?
    Whose fault is it that there aren't more WP users? I'll give you a hint - some of the very people on these boards. "Build it and they will come" certainly was not at play here.
    11-14-2014 07:11 PM
    The motivation is to keep those users hooked on Office instead of going to free competitors like Google Docs. By keeping users hooked on Office, they maintain the need and desire for users to pay for a subscription when its required like desktops and laptops. And with unlimited OneDrive storage with Office 365 for $69.99 a year, who can resist?

You guys keep acting like Android and iOS are getting special treatment. They're not.

Instead of continuing to ***** about a few minor differences in features for a limited timeframe, hold your pants on and see what comes with Office Touch, etc. in Windows 10. Then make your judgments.
    11-14-2014 08:03 PM
    First of all, no one is getting shafted here. If that's what you think, then you need to grow up.

Second of all, if you think companies treat all their customers exactly the same, then you are grossly mistaken and completely out of touch with reality.

Companies treat their most valuable customers the best. And then they treat the largest pool of customers. Only when they have resources left over will they equalize the effort for the small, niche user base. That's just hard, cold facts.

My company does this on many levels. Everything from what browsers and devices to support, to which customers get served first and/or best by customer care and sales.
    Aresjr21, fatclue_98, tgp and 1 others like this.
    11-14-2014 08:08 PM
    Companies treat their most valuable customers the best. And then they treat the largest pool of customers. Only when they have resources left over will they equalize the effort for the small, niche user base. That's just hard, cold facts.
    In addition, ever notice how new customers get all the good deals? If it works for Comcast......
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-14-2014 08:42 PM
    As I said before:
    I have no problem with MS making great apps for Android and IOS for free.
    But they are not a three people startup. If they don't improve Office for WP for several years, I can call them out on that.
    I'll give another example about how Microsoft values its "good" customers more than the few WP users (and I'm one of them). You think Windows Mobile is dead right? Would it surprise you if I told you that there are WinMo devices getting firmware updates, browser updates, etc. as recently as this month? Well, the enterprise sector is still using the platform and their handsets are still receiving updates. I don't normally do this but here's a link: read 'em and weep.

https://portal.motorolasolutions.com...rs/ES400_US-EN
    undulose and neo158 like this.
    11-14-2014 09:05 PM
    The motivation is to keep those users hooked on Office instead of going to free competitors like Google Docs. By keeping users hooked on Office, they maintain the need and desire for users to pay for a subscription when its required like desktops and laptops. And with unlimited OneDrive storage with Office 365 for $69.99 a year, who can resist?
    I would be a perfect example of this. Although I do use WP, my primary devices for both phone and tablet are Android. I use mostly Google's services. But yet I pay for Office 365. I've been on Microsoft's productivity software starting way back with Microsoft Works, sometime around 1998. What I use it for (not including work) Google Docs would be more than sufficient. But since I've always used Microsoft's products, I prefer them and continue to use them. And I have no plans of changing that anytime soon.

However, if I could not access Office from my Android phone & tablet, I'd likely drop it.
    spaulagain and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-14-2014 09:59 PM
    Here, kristalsoldier, listen to Paul Thurrot's explanation about Windows Phone and the new Office...

Windows Weekly 388 | TWiT.TV

He's actually very logical and explains it very well.
    its just not abt offc, skype onedrive and even AOE, I'm not against bringing office on other platforms its a money making service for them, main revenue generator but skype n AOE, soon Halo might also be seen on Ios n android, u need exclusives and unique ecosystem for an OS to succeed
    11-15-2014 12:33 AM
    its just not abt offc, skype onedrive and even AOE, I'm not against bringing office on other platforms its a money making service for them, main revenue generator but skype n AOE, soon Halo might also be seen on Ios n android, u need exclusives and unique ecosystem for an OS to succeed
    No you don't. You need a good OS that people want to use.

When iOS launched with the iPhone. There was near zero ecosystem or exclusive apps. In fact, it didn't even have as many features as the competition. But people liked the OS, they wanted to use it.
    Laura Knotek, tgp and psoham777 like this.
    11-15-2014 12:35 AM

I don't think so. Some people who live on Microsoft's services would buy a WP, while most of them would just switch to other OS being dissatisfied. As other OSes have majority, WP doesn't, MS actually did a good move by providing its services to other OSes, basically MS wants people to use its services, no matter which OS they are using.
    11-15-2014 02:01 AM
    Hi, Windows Central folks, wouldn't you want this thread to be on one of your articles? Wanna hear your thoughts. Hihi
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937) using Tapatalk
    11-15-2014 01:15 PM
64 123