Cortana will not open/play music

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have tried all of the commands listed, but Cortana will not play music or open the music app - she will just search Bing. And if you say "play music", the first hit is Google Play Music :-/

Does this happen to anyone else? Isn't Cortana supposed to be able to play music using voice commands?

Im using a Lumia 830 with the full Denim update.

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe, if you changed your search provider to Google in IE, maybe, it's affecting Cortana.. Try checking that.. If not, sorry for not having another answer, since I haven't had problems with Cortana

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, if you changed your search provider to Google in IE, maybe, it's affecting Cortana.. Try checking that.. If not, sorry for not having another answer, since I haven't had problems with Cortana

Thanks for your reply. I don't actually know how to change my search provider! I looked in the settings, but don't see it - I will keep looking though.

Cortana works for the most part, chit-chat, calling/texting, opening most apps - its just music that doesn't work. After calling/texting, it was my most used feature as I would use it when driving.

Although in Canada, everything on my device is set to the US, so it should work and worked in the past.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just ran a test...

My search default is Bing. "Hey Cortana, play music flash." This results in the song Flash by Queen being opened and played by Music App. The song is on my SD card.

I then switched my default search engine to Google. "Hey Cortana, play music flash." This results in the song Flash by Queen being opened and played by Music App.

No difference. 1520.3, official 8.1 Update + Lumia Denim

BTW - to switch default search engine; Settings > Applications > Internet Explorer > advanced settings > scroll down to "Default search provider" and tap the field > select from the drop down list

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I have actually tried all commands listed on the help screen (when in Cortana, you tap on 'see more', 'music', and 5 ideas are listed). None of them worked.

I just ran a test...

My search default is Bing. "Hey Cortana, play music flash." This results in the song Flash by Queen being opened and played by Music App. The song is on my SD card.

I then switched my default search engine to Google. "Hey Cortana, play music flash." This results in the song Flash by Queen being opened and played by Music App.

No difference. 1520.3, official 8.1 Update + Lumia Denim

BTW - to switch default search engine; Settings > Applications > Internet Explorer > advanced settings > scroll down to "Default search provider" and tap the field > select from the drop down list

Thanks for running a test, that's what I was after and now have no idea what could be causing this. Possibly a conflict with another audio app? I have Music, Podcasts, MixRadio, Songza, Spotify & VLC on my device. When I have a chance, im going to switch my region back to Canada, see if that changes anything.

Regarding the default search, I seem to have lost the ability to switch providers as its not there (help says WP8 only, maybe removed when 8.1 came out?).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
D'Oh.... Now I think I remember something about 830 not being able to switch default search engine. Don't rightly know why. You may want to site search that issue...

I prefer Modern Music for audio, also have MoliPlayer Pro.... I don't think anyone can change the default music player. Did you by any chance delete Music App? That would probably cause an issue such as you are having.

Pew Pew Im A Gun

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Cortana is useless. I'm running Windows 10 on an Asus tablet. From the lock screen I touch the voice input prompt and say, "Cortana, unlock my tablet and open Google Chrome", or, "Cortana, unlock my tablet and open Spotify." No matter what I tell her to run, she unlocks my tablet and opens IE, using my secondary command as a search term in Google.

So basically, Cortana just runs IE. That's SUPER ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY GG MICROSOFT

bsalloum

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
This just happened to me recently (Aug/Sep 2016) after a system update. Saying "Cortana play Jethro Tull" used to open that playlist and start playing the songs, but Cortana suddenly stopped doing that and started popping up web searches instead. I haven't changed anything - search provider, playlists, songs, storage location, etc.

I finally discovered the other day that it works if I say "Cortana play MY Jethro Tull". Adding the word "my" makes it work for me. Saying it without "my" pops up a web search; saying it with "my" actually opens the Groove app and plays the playlist.

When or why this was changed, I have no idea.

I'm on a Lumia 830 with WP10, build 10.0.14393.321

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros