09-16-2014 02:41 PM
295 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Ah, okay. Now I understand.

What do you think how many additional case fans I will need? 3x 120mm fans are already installed and there is room for 3 more. Are they enoughor should I get more?
    03-08-2014 08:42 PM
    Ah, okay. Now I understand.

What do you think how many additional case fans I will need? 3x 120mm fans are already installed and there is room for 3 more. Are they enoughor should I get more?
    1 fan is enough, as you are not overclocking ...
    03-09-2014 03:30 AM
    One CAN be enough, but I'm too paranoid to trust it. My old case had one fan, but I took the door off because I didn't think it'd be sufficiently cool. I literally never gamed on that thing, and it would be at 50 degrees in the summer, on most occasions, and that was with the door off. My i5's running at sub-35 degrees in my current case, which has 5 fans.

But as was said, 3 will be more than enough with an i3. If you ever look into overclocking if/when you go to an i5, then you'd want to worry about the quality of cooling from both the case and the CPU cooler (the stock one will be just fine).

There's also this option: Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
    03-09-2014 03:50 AM
    03-09-2014 05:16 AM
    In my current system I have 1 case fan and only the fans that came with the CPU and GPU.
    After I started the PC and gave it 2-3min to settle, the temperatures displayed by Speccy weren't that satisfiying. No programs were opened (except for Speccy).

pc-temps.jpg
    03-09-2014 08:51 AM
    Without reading every single comment here are my thoughts....

AMD offers better price to power ratio but in the benchmarks Intel always wins in high power computing.

My build a year ago has a PentiumG860 in it and I use it as my gaming/media center rig. I went with that CPU because that's what was on sale.

I've never seen a standard user need more power than what AMD offers, usually that's what I buy because it's cheaper. However I have found that my AMD builds run cooler than my Intel computers with the stock cooling hardware.

I don't see any specific needs in your OP but just get what's on sale. Once you install it I doubt you'll ever know the difference.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X
    03-09-2014 10:31 AM
    In my current system I have 1 case fan and only the fans that came with the CPU and GPU.
    After I started the PC and gave it 2-3min to settle, the temperatures displayed by Speccy weren't that satisfiying. No programs were opened (except for Speccy).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC temps.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	59098
    It is different now - Q6600 is 65 nm CPU (high temps) and i3-4130 is 22 nm CPU (lower temps, even clearly higher clock speed) ....
    03-09-2014 11:34 AM
    Do I have to consider any limitations when it comes to the connections of PSUs?
    Like, what excactly connects to the ports?

Example: Corsair CX600 v2

Corsair CX600 Power Supply
    Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
    Max. Current 25A 25A 46A 0.8A 3A
    Max Combined Wattage 130W 552W 9.6W 15W

What parts of the PC need which Voltage and which connection do they use? (I only know that GPUs need the +12V port and that you have to keep the amperage in mind when buying a new GPU)
    03-09-2014 03:06 PM
    Well, I honestly don't know voltages well. However, the various parts have different connectors, so you can't exactly get them mixed up. A fan cable (1x4 pins) will be different from a CPU cable (2x2 pins) will be different from a GPU cable (2x3 or 2x4 pins).
    03-09-2014 03:13 PM
    Are there any limitations on how many - lets say - fans I can use with a PSU? Just because the case and the mainboard offer to support a certain number of fans doesn't mean the PSU will too, or does it? Do I need to plan ahead in case I want to upgrade my GPU so I don't have to buy a new PSU too?
    03-09-2014 03:36 PM
    Yeah, that can be the case, I suppose. However, there are usually converter cables in the box with the PSU, in those instances. I think the Corsair PSU I got came with a lot of case fan connectors. I wouldn't be concerned about it.
    03-09-2014 05:11 PM
    Okay. So I will get either a Corsair CX500/600 V2 tomorrow, since I don't see any advantage in getting the modular versions.

Edit:
    Screw it, I just just ordered the SeaSonic S12II-620 via Amazon for 71.45€. I didn't want to order any part of the build and get it shipped, since I don't trust the post office (regarding the handling of fragile shipments), but Keith suggested the S12II and every time I read reviews and in forums it's the same: "Get a SeaSonic!" and I couldn't get to like the idea of getting a different brand. So, worst-case scenario: I get a broken PSU and have to send it back for a replacement, and the soonest I could work with my new build would be in about 2 weeks :-/
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 03-09-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    03-09-2014 05:39 PM
    Say, do I have to be worried that my mainboard wasn't wrapped in an anti-static bag and didn't have one of those plastic things on the socket? (the one that should prevent the pins from getting bend)
    03-10-2014 03:57 PM
    That's definitely unusual...I've only ever bought ASUS motherboards, but they all had both of those things.

As long as it works though, I don't think it should be a big deal.
    03-10-2014 04:13 PM
    Also - as I just checked - there was no seal on the box. Should I give it back and get another one?
    03-10-2014 04:35 PM
    Ok yeah, that's sketchy - if it's not overly inconvenient you should definitely return it for another. Sounds like it was a previously owned one.
    03-10-2014 04:57 PM
    I hate it when retailers pass something used off as new. I'm really pissed right now. Plus it seems that the mechanism that keeps the CPU fan cable connected to the header is broken too.
    03-10-2014 05:09 PM
    That's turruble. For the record, there is no seal on a motherboard box. When I went to get mine, I opened it up in the store, just because. I'd take that thing so far back, though.
    03-11-2014 12:19 AM
    I just gave it back and bought it somewhere else. Now it has an anti-static bag, plastic cover on the socket and nothing is broken. The salesguy even took it out and showed me that everything was ok.
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 03-11-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    03-11-2014 05:37 AM
    Since I can't use my ODD in my new PC (forgot it's an old one with IDE and I don't want to buy an adapter), I treated myself today (*cough*like I didn't treat myself enough this month*cough*).

wp_20140311_16_27_51_pro.jpg
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 03-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    03-11-2014 11:56 AM
    The attachment doesn't work.

However, I know the feeling. I began my CPU/motherboard upgrade search thinking about an FX-6300. Then I started getting told that an o3 would be better. Then I just decided to ride in a car for 2 hours to get to a Micro Center and get a deal on an i5, just because it was better than an i3 (and the deal was really good).
    03-11-2014 12:40 PM
    Should work now. (but just in case it doesn't: it's a Samsung SE-506BB external BluRay writer in stylish white)

And the price for the gas you used for the car ride + the price for the i5 didn't add up to the usual price of an i5?

But I know what you mean. I like to think ahead and try to avoid costs in the future, like buying a PSU with -lets say- 400W and an entry-level GPU to save money and in a year I'd have to buy both a stronger PSU and a better GPU. Or settling for an AMD CPU and mainboard (which is likely cheaper than an Core i and a fitting mainboard) and then switching to Intel and having to buy a new CPU+mainboard.
    Doesn't matter if I save 50-100€ now if I have to spend them and even more in half a year. The way I picked the parts now, I don't have to upgrade that soon. Also, when I want to upgrade to a new GPU/CPU, the ones that are now better than mine are getting cheaper, so I might get an R9 270X for the price I payed now for mine (same goes for the i5).
    If I'd settled for 4GB and wanted to upgrade in a year, I don't know if I would get the same modell (with DDR4 coming out this year).
    And it should be obvious to take the HDD with 1TB than one with 500GB, because you get double the storage for only 10€ more.
    03-11-2014 03:46 PM
    Should work now. (but just in case it doesn't: it's a Samsung SE-506BB external BluRay writer in stylish white)

And the price for the gas you used for the car ride + the price for the i5 didn't add up to the usual price of an i5?

But I know what you mean. I like to think ahead and try to avoid costs in the future, like buying a PSU with -lets say- 400W and an entry-level GPU to save money and in a year I'd have to buy both a stronger PSU and a better GPU. Or settling for an AMD CPU and mainboard (which is likely cheaper than an Core i and a fitting mainboard) and then switching to Intel and having to buy a new CPU+mainboard.
    Doesn't matter if I save 50-100€ now if I have to spend them and even more in half a year. The way I picked the parts now, I don't have to upgrade that soon. Also, when I want to upgrade to a new GPU/CPU, the ones that are now better than mine are getting cheaper, so I might get an R9 270X for the price I payed now for mine (same goes for the i5).
    If I'd settled for 4GB and wanted to upgrade in a year, I don't know if I would get the same modell (with DDR4 coming out this year).
    And it should be obvious to take the HDD with 1TB than one with 500GB, because you get double the storage for only 10€ more.
    Nice, I'm still down an optical drive, but I haven't needed one since I installed the OS (borrowed my old one from my cousin to do that). But I wouldn't worry about DDR4 in the slightest. Even if it DOES come out this year, it's going to be in the ARM-based Hierofalcon from AMD and the super-expensive Haswell-E stuff from Intel. Go look at any retailer, and you'll see that DDR2 is still sold, even though DDR3 has been the standard for what, 5+ years? DDR3 will be out for a long while. I agreeo nthe CPU thing, though. You're good to go i5-4670 next year or the year after, most likely. I would have considered a Z87 board over the H87 for the overclocking option, but it's not a big deal, especially if Broadwell comes out on the 1150 socket.

Oh, and on the stuff I got:

Newegg i5-4670K: $240
    Newegg Z87 Extreme4: $145
    Newegg Total: $385

Gas: $40
    Micro Center i5-4670K: $200
    Micro Center Z87 Extreme4: $90
    Micro Center CPU+Motherboard Discount: -$30
    Micro Center Total: $300
    03-11-2014 05:05 PM
    That's actually a nice discount, plus it was already cheaper than the stuff from Newegg.

As I said, I'm not interessted in overclocking (at least not at this point with my first all-self assembled new PC^^).
    Maybe in the next CPU/Socket generation I'll get, but right now - as a noob in the field of self-assembled PCs - I'm much too inexperienced and I don't want to fry my CPU/mainboard ;-)

Btw: finding free (and good) software for bluray playback isn't that easy. Luckily the writer I bought includeda copy of Cyberlink PowerDVD (which supports Bluray playback).
    But as I see it, Blurays in full high definition is kinda useless if your monitor only has a resolution of 1680x1050 and no HDMI port. So, maybe I'll get a new one this year (3rd -4th quarter) and keep my current one in case I want to use 2 displays or just as a replacement if the new one should die on me.

btw 2: one of my local stores (electronic products aren't in the standard assortment) has a desktop PC for sale, but except the CPU everything else sounds cheap (or there is just no word on who the OEM/brand is) -> Medion Akoya P5380 D
    It's in German but I think the important stuff is understandable (like what CPU, GPU,...). Don't be surprised, the brand of the mainboard and RAM never gets mentionend (not even if you buy a desktop from HP or Acer).

Just got an SMS saying that my case is ready for me to pick up :-D
    Now the only thing missing is the PSU....and Amazon is still making it ready for being shipped....

I just realized: my mainboard only has 2 connectors for case fans, but my case comes with 3 fans already installed plus it supports up to 5 fans. Is there a way I can use more than 2 fans if I only have 2 header ony the mainboard?
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 03-12-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    03-12-2014 08:08 AM
    Yay, my case arrived!
    Looks even better than on the pictures on the web.

wp_20140312_15_23_00_pro.jpg
    wp_20140312_15_22_18_pro.jpg
    wp_20140312_15_22_45_pro.jpg
    gedzum likes this.
    03-12-2014 10:52 AM
295 ... 56789 ...