Is there a trick to using the active stylus?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've tried dozens of times to use the stylus without much success. I thought at first maybe I had to power it on somehow or press it's buttons to make it work but I clearly haven't figured what I'm doing wrong. I've attempted to draw with this paint app I downloaded and draw but it does nothing. I opened the Microsoft paint program and after tapping randomly all over the screen dozens of times it registered a few strokes and would work for a moment the stop again.

I thought maybe I needed to replace the batteries so I bought new ones today and after wasting $13 on these AAAA's it's no better. Am I doing something wrong to get it working? Does it only work on certain apps or specific places within Windows? I just read someone suggesting it only works properly in portrait mode? I updated the newest Dell drivers for the stylus as well btw..

smithtoo

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
there was a firmware update a few weeks ago for the stylus. there should be a thread for it somewhere on here. afterwards the stylus works a lot better in pen enabled apps, but still kind of useless as a mouse replacement

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
there was a firmware update a few weeks ago for the stylus. there should be a thread for it somewhere on here. afterwards the stylus works a lot better in pen enabled apps, but still kind of useless as a mouse replacement

Yes I did install the drivers and it almost doesn't work at all when I touch it to the screen. So I'm not sure if there's something I'm clearly not doing.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
well, i am having the same issue..brand new stylus but i cant seem to get it to work

I saw someone online mentioning it works better in portrait mode so I gave it a try. Fresh Paint app is a no-go but did some doodling in One Note and tried hand writing an email and it actually worked pretty well for me. Try portrait mode.

One button seems to work as an erase button. The other is I think a "select" type button. And it even worked by hovering over the tablet. I was able to drag and select things on my desktop.

dixonjr79

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
thanks for your quick response.Still no luck.I have just changed the battery too.where did you get the driver update? I can't seem to find it on Dell's site

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
thanks for your quick response.Still no luck.I have just changed the battery too.where did you get the driver update? I can't seem to find it on Dell's site

Interesting.. Mine worked instantly better in portrait mode. I also bought a new battery after hearing reports of people getting theirs shipped with dead batteries. They update I got off Dell and even saw it there yesterday. You have to go to the support section and search for drivers and downloads for tablets and the Venue 8 should be listed. And that driver is the only one that was in red for "critical update".

WF Live

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
It seems there's an hardware issue with the some of the Rev A00 batch of the stylus. (the initial batch)

There is a firmware update for the touch panel which has helped some people who are having issues with the stylus. Here is a direct link to the firmware update.
Driver Details | Dell US

The firmware didn't fully clear up the problem I am having so I contacted Dell support and they're sending me out a new stylus. Hopefully it's of the Rev A01 batch which doesn't seem to have any issues.

I'll update the thread on that once I receive it and have a chance to test it out. In the meantime, I'd suggest getting onto Dell and having them replace the stylus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon