Anybody know if a Powered USB OTG cable will allow me to use a WD Passport hard drive? Before I order this one from Amazon, I want to make sure it'll work.

Amazon.com : Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Samsung i9100 i9300 i9220 i9250 by AtomicMarket : Computer Usb Cables : Computers & Accessories

Thanks guys!
    12-20-2013 12:55 PM
    Are you looking for this to charge the tablet while using the Passport or for powering the Passport?

I use a powered USB hub and a OTG cable to connect my Passport and it all works fine (does not charge tablet).
    12-21-2013 09:11 AM
    Nawh, I realize that it's not going to charge at the same time, I just want the ability to use the Passport. I guess I never thought of the Powered USB Hub. Just seems cumbersome to carry around whenever I want to use the external HD. What I don't understand is that the Surface RT can use the WD Passport drive just fine, which from what I understand, has a less powerful processor. Why can't the DVP8 use the Passport?
    12-21-2013 10:20 AM
    Bought this OTG cable from Amazon and plugged it to my Venue 8 pro and my WD Passports. They work fine with it but of course as expected no charging of the tablet.
    03-04-2014 03:41 PM
    Hi can you please let us knows which cable allow your to connect a dell venue pro to an external Seagate 1tb I tried with no success to many org with no result. My Asus allows me to use it thanks
    06-23-2014 05:43 PM
    So this topic has been one of my main "pain points" concerning the DV8P, which is the low powered USB port.

I own the Acer iconia W3, horrible screen and all, but I have loved that device! There's not much it can't do and I moved up to the DV8P to take advantage of the graphics power and lightness plus IPS screen. I can and have plugged in external hard drives, external DVD drives etc. To the ICONIA without issue.

I tried to plug in both my external HD and external DVD drive and they both flashed and could not power up because of the lack of power, well darn! I'm not excited about using a powered USB hub, to have a plug going to an outlet then to my device then tablet. You're tethered to the wall just like a desktop, It feels is so limiting! Why can my crummy ICONIA W3 power these devices but not the DV8P? Plus the ICONIA W3 has an HDMI out port so I can mirror/extend screen for a native dockable computer. Sigh.
    06-29-2014 09:19 AM
    So this topic has been one of my main "pain points" concerning the DV8P, which is the low powered USB port.

I own the Acer iconia W3, horrible screen and all, but I have loved that device! There's not much it can't do and I moved up to the DV8P to take advantage of the graphics power and lightness plus IPS screen. I can and have plugged in external hard drives, external DVD drives etc. To the ICONIA without issue.

I tried to plug in both my external HD and external DVD drive and they both flashed and could not power up because of the lack of power, well darn! I'm not excited about using a powered USB hub, to have a plug going to an outlet then to my device then tablet. You're tethered to the wall just like a desktop, It feels is so limiting! Why can my crummy ICONIA W3 power these devices but not the DV8P? Plus the ICONIA W3 has an HDMI out port so I can mirror/extend screen for a native dockable computer. Sigh.
    Just some differences among different devices I would say. Maybe a cost cutting measure, or perhaps some safety thing? I didn't expect much, so I wasn't too miffed when it didn't work.

Huh, does anyone know if the W4 handles HDD and such? It could just be a decision on Dell's end, a change in the chip to Intel's Bay Trail...

Other 8-inchers have HDMI out I believe. The V8P isn't the only one out there.
    06-29-2014 11:43 AM