Dell Venue Pro 8 and WD Passport

mpholic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Are you looking for this to charge the tablet while using the Passport or for powering the Passport?

I use a powered USB hub and a OTG cable to connect my Passport and it all works fine (does not charge tablet).

RStock521

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Nawh, I realize that it's not going to charge at the same time, I just want the ability to use the Passport. I guess I never thought of the Powered USB Hub. Just seems cumbersome to carry around whenever I want to use the external HD. What I don't understand is that the Surface RT can use the WD Passport drive just fine, which from what I understand, has a less powerful processor. Why can't the DVP8 use the Passport?

lvd8888

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Bought this OTG cable from Amazon and plugged it to my Venue 8 pro and my WD Passports. They work fine with it but of course as expected no charging of the tablet.

Luigi Primo Porcu

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi can you please let us knows which cable allow your to connect a dell venue pro to an external Seagate 1tb I tried with no success to many org with no result. My Asus allows me to use it thanks :angel:

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
So this topic has been one of my main "pain points" concerning the DV8P, which is the low powered USB port.

I own the Acer iconia W3, horrible screen and all, but I have loved that device! There's not much it can't do and I moved up to the DV8P to take advantage of the graphics power and lightness plus IPS screen. I can and have plugged in external hard drives, external DVD drives etc. To the ICONIA without issue.

I tried to plug in both my external HD and external DVD drive and they both flashed and could not power up because of the lack of power, well darn! I'm not excited about using a powered USB hub, to have a plug going to an outlet then to my device then tablet. You're tethered to the wall just like a desktop, It feels is so limiting! Why can my crummy ICONIA W3 power these devices but not the DV8P? Plus the ICONIA W3 has an HDMI out port so I can mirror/extend screen for a native dockable computer. Sigh.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So this topic has been one of my main "pain points" concerning the DV8P, which is the low powered USB port.

I own the Acer iconia W3, horrible screen and all, but I have loved that device! There's not much it can't do and I moved up to the DV8P to take advantage of the graphics power and lightness plus IPS screen. I can and have plugged in external hard drives, external DVD drives etc. To the ICONIA without issue.

I tried to plug in both my external HD and external DVD drive and they both flashed and could not power up because of the lack of power, well darn! I'm not excited about using a powered USB hub, to have a plug going to an outlet then to my device then tablet. You're tethered to the wall just like a desktop, It feels is so limiting! Why can my crummy ICONIA W3 power these devices but not the DV8P? Plus the ICONIA W3 has an HDMI out port so I can mirror/extend screen for a native dockable computer. Sigh.

Just some differences among different devices I would say. Maybe a cost cutting measure, or perhaps some safety thing? I didn't expect much, so I wasn't too miffed when it didn't work.

Huh, does anyone know if the W4 handles HDD and such? It could just be a decision on Dell's end, a change in the chip to Intel's Bay Trail...

Other 8-inchers have HDMI out I believe. The V8P isn't the only one out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes