Anyone running A/V?

ITSCharles

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Just got my DVP 8 and very happy with it (quite surprised how fast it is)...

However I'm not sure what A/V I should go for... I don't want anything too resource heavy so something light and with on-access scanning for build in storage only (exclude SD card to not slow it down too much...)

Whats peoples thoughts?

Thanks,

Charles

Last edited:

KINGINI LABS

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am continuing with Microsoft defender. Its an excellent software, light weight. With sensible internet usage/ legitimate softwares, defender should be more than enough.

JeffLeites

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the include Windows Defender on all my WIndows 8 devices, but just to put my 2 cents in on a few of the other Free AVs, I tried AVAST and AVG on my XP notebook, and they were horrible! AVAST doubled my boot time, and AVG made my computer useless for about 10 minutes after powering up while it updated. I installed the Ad-Aware AV and it runs fine now. A con of the free Ad-Aware AV though, is that it doesn't check e-mail.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up this tablet yesterday... I have been trusting Avira (free) on my PC for years and just installed it on my Venue 8 Pro. I also have the Avira Browser Safety & Avira Savings Adviser extensions for Chrome working on my behalf.

Avira installer went on the SD card and then the program installation was 137MB. Avira is consistently rated in the top tier of AV freeware.

Also new is the Avira Dashboard (online) where you can manage devices including anti-theft on iOS ./ Android devices.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Defender myself. Lightweight and no issues to date. I have also turned up the IE security level to enhanced protected mode and installed the 2 easy list tracking protection lists to remove ads and block most cookies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems like I'm the odd duck out by not relying on Defender... It's been awhile since I checked the reviews on AV Freeware.

Just checked some more recent shootouts and I'm happy to stand by my Avira decision. Footprint, schmootprint. Windows remains a heavily targeted system and I'm gonna protect my new device.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"Don't use Java, Flash, Siverlight, Active X," eh sicnus? I'm not really sure anyone can practice what you are preaching. That seriously hampers use of the internet as it exists today.

As I stated in the other thread, I agree that IE is too heavily targeted to use without risk, but the rest of your advice is impracticable. Might as well crawl into a cave and not use your computer for anything based on your restrictions list... No email attachments, hyperlinks...

Come on. Who are you trying to fool? You don't use your computer in the restrictive way you posted it should be used. I don't believe it.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thats how I browse the internet (on my PC). I use browser extensions like adblock, no script & requestpolicy in Firefox to essentially block everything save html & CSS, until I white list the site.

If its a site I frequent, it gets permanently whitelisted & everything loads as the site creator intended.
Site I wanna browse more in depth? Takes a fraction of a second to temporarily white list whatever aspect of the site that was filtered.

For added security I also use the ghostery add on.

Waiting for similar addons to uc browser or apps for WP.

sicnus

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Believe what you want, add this to your list of This Cant Be True... I haven't needed or run AV in nearly a decade...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Believe what you want, add this to your list of This Cant Be True... I haven't needed or run AV in nearly a decade...

But you are running AV... Windows Defender. You said so yourself. And, apparently inconveniencing yourself by jumping through hoops to sandbox stuff.

The question of how much AV is needed is a valid one for most users who aren't going to go through so many active, user initiated measures. The fact that you go through those measures points to your lack of trust in the AV you do use. No AV, minimal AV with a huge change in habits (for the average user) or all AV is useless is not a very good answer to a general question. If your usage habits and modus operandi of manually implementing safety measures works for you and inspires confidence, great... But to suggest that it is the only valid way; "School is out. The End," is a very narrow minded answer that few will be willing to adopt for themselves. The answer you linked above would endanger most user's systems due to their lack of understanding the underlying principles you espouse - or even when they do get it; any probable (and hey, we are all human and make mistakes) slackening in vigilance leaves them vulnerable to the ever growing number of relentlessly malicious entities that abound in our connected society.

P.S.: For a reasoning being, school is never out. There is ALWAYS something new to learn and an open minded attitude gathers more knowledge than an entrenched position.

sicnus

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Kitty has claws! Aren't you a feisty thing! Ever consider one could have more than one platform & OS? Defender is there by default, its just as useless as everything else. Reread my posts, you missed stuff Professor...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon