Dell Venue 8 Pro Recovery Partitions

liklroka

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Am wondering if anyone has the Windows RE (especially the WINRE.wim) and Recovery partitions backed up? An issue with my DVP has caused me to wipe the device and the backup I had did not keep these partitions. I am looking to recreate the device partition structure as it was out of the box....

If anyone can help with an upload, that would be great!

Cheers!

liklroka

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
If you can, you will be a life saver!!!! muchos appreciated! ;)

By the way, I have the 32gb version but I suspect the winre and recovery partitions are the same regardless....

If I get this all up and working, I will detail in a thread.

liklroka

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
thanks to the help of Xandros9 and Memitim, all the partitions are restored but not entirely as factory. I have now taken a copy of the WINRE and Recovery partitions from an untouched Dell Venue Pro 11 so I will investigate and see if I can rebuild all the partitions as per factory.

Apart from the file provided by Xandros9 and Memitim, Xandros9 also provided the following link which was helpful and I hope it helps someone else:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/dell-xps-10/234409-3.htm#post2231598

I will post back any further findings.

liklroka

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I have managed to get the recovery partitions off of a DELL Venue Pro 11 and I now am sure I can rebuild the factory recovery partition, I just need the CSP.dat file from a dell venue pro 8 32GB model from their recovery partition. Could Anyone help? It's in the "preload" folder.

Also, I have managed to run the Dell Backup and Recovery Tool to recreate the Factory Partition but it crashes when it comes to the partitioning of the drive, has anyone else had this?

If anyone is wondering how I managed this on a 32gb model, I used a symbolic link - mklink /D "C:\system recovery" <location to link to> where I used the SD card drive letter.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh did you see the recent posts on the thread? (assuming you are looking at the same Simplified WIMBoot thread on tabletpcreview)
I posted there and I got it going without a winre.wim, however the catch is I need the flash drive to restore, which isn't bad.

liklroka

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I know that is possible, and I may try the wimboot method but am on a roll with the recovery partition especially as dell have told me it can't be recreated on a 32gb version of the dvp8, not even by their engineers so am even more determined... ;)

Did you know, you can get the winre.wim from the ISO of Windows 8.1 and above?

ipaqman1

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I know that is possible, and I may try the wimboot method but am on a roll with the recovery partition especially as dell have told me it can't be recreated on a 32gb version of the dvp8, not even by their engineers so am even more determined... ;)

Did you know, you can get the winre.wim from the ISO of Windows 8.1 and above?
If you have a WinRE.wim file and the WIMBoot procedure, you can build a WIMBooted Windows with a recovery option. It will recover to the state of the Windows that you started the WIMBoot procedure. It will build a new compressed recovery partition.

orionbg

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I have the exact problem. I need some kind of a complete image than can be booted from a USB Flash drive or something. I have one flash drive with a recovery I downloaded from somewhere here but it wants AC power during the restore and this can't be done on the DV8P...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I have the exact problem. I need some kind of a complete image than can be booted from a USB Flash drive or something. I have one flash drive with a recovery I downloaded from somewhere here but it wants AC power during the restore and this can't be done on the DV8P...

I'd say its best to get a microSD card, freeing up the port for charging.
or you could partition your Venue's drive to have space for the recovery, and stick it there. (I think its doable)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes