This is one great device

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I've had my DVP for less than a week I want to make some observations. I have had the HTC Titan sense Thanksgiving very few people have commented on it. In 6 days with the DVP I have had at least 20 people stop me and ask me what phone this is. Some say is that a Dell phone after seeing the back of the device others just simply stop me and ask what phone is that. The DVP is one nice looking attention getter.

Second observation I love that the search pops up when you slide the keyboard open when you are in the people and email hubs. Very nice touch and makes searching my 250+ contacts very simple.

Thats my very brief 1 week review more to come.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I would have LOVED to have this device on Verizon! I have been a Dell fan for a while and to also have a portrait keyboard would have really been nice. How are the screen and camera?

vba

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I would have LOVED to have this device on Verizon! I have been a Dell fan for a while and to also have a portrait keyboard would have really been nice. How are the screen and camera?

Screen is beautiful, but in sunny conditions it's a little bit hard to read. Camera is a piece of crap, it may be even worse compared to my BB 9000.

Otherwise is a good device: portrait QWERTY quality is like a Blackberry, stability is excellent, built quality is very good, looks good, battery life is OK (always could be better).

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I got mine from Dell I paid full price was like $320 I think with tax. The screen is great the curved glass does cut the glare it is hard to see in sunlight but to me they all are to some extent. The camera is bad its okay for work picture but when I am out doing something where I an taking a lot of pictures I use my Titan.

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I too love my DVP, although I'm a bit discouraged with Dell's support at this point. I asked about an update to 7740 or 8107 for SIM-locked devices, and they said they have no plans to support those devices past Mango (7720). This came direct from the DellCares twitter account. Currently, unlocked devices should already have updates to 7740 and 8107...but not for SIM-Locked units.

What's even more frustrating is that Dell is trying to make a paradigm shift into a software company, yet they won't support this really excellent phone that has really excellent software? I mean it's not like HTC that has multiple WP7 devices to support. Dell has 1 phone, the same phone on two carriers...how difficult is that?

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, just wanted to also chime in on how much I love the device, but am just disappointed in Dell :(

*Full disclosure* I worked for Dell's Technical Support dept a few years ago, and their middle/upper middle management is completely inept and out of touch. All they care about are metrics and numbers, not about supporting the customer. Until that changes, I doubt we'll see much different from them, support wise.

Last edited:

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you there. Great phone, bad customer service. Shame that only unlocked phones are getting the 8107 update. I check everyday, like a fool, hoping to get the update message.

As soon as another Windows Phone hits the market with a portrait slider keyboard, I'm getting it. Hopefully that manufacturer will support it...

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Venue Pro vs Titan

I not had my hands on a Venue pro but from what I read I like it except I don't like what I read about Dell supporting the device. I am on the fence as to what to get.
I see the Dell Venue Pro that is a year old now and its in a price I can deal with. I not sure now if I want to get this phone or not because If Dell is not going to support it what happens with updates? It not very clear which version is being sold on Amazon and it seems like the one on Newegg is for Tmobile 3G. Why isn't anyone selling the AT&T version? I know you can get phone from Dell directly unlocked for AT&T but it's $80 more just for that.
I use to be on AT&T but Now I am using AT&T via Straighttalk with my 2 year old Nokia 5800.
BTW I had the Titan in my hands for a month but went through three of them because they all had a random power cycle issue like ever 12 to 18 hrs. Had to return everything to reverse my upgrade back then when I was on AT&T. now the Freedom of being on StraightTalk I can choose any phone in an outright purchase as long as I get the correct sim which I have now which uses AT&T.
Anyway I just on the fence as to what I want to get. I really liked the Titan's size screen and Mango OS. I liked being able to watch netflix over Wifi. I like the email integration. Very easy to get to things. I posted in an Android forum and they telling me to get the Atrix 4G (the first one) because its got the best hardware money can buy in it's price range. But I not to crazy about Android as I am for Window Phone. I had my hands on a Droid Razor too and that takes some getting use to.
That first Samsung Focus (the first one) I have considered too because its in the price range of Venue pro. I really like the front facing camera on Titan because I used that Tango Video chat software and it worked pretty well when I used it back in Decemeber.
I just looking for some clarity here with these phones. One not supported the other call quality stinks etc etc...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I not had my hands on a Venue pro but from what I read I like it except I don't like what I read about Dell supporting the device. I am on the fence as to what to get.
I see the Dell Venue Pro that is a year old now and its in a price I can deal with. I not sure now if I want to get this phone or not because If Dell is not going to support it what happens with updates? It not very clear which version is being sold on Amazon and it seems like the one on Newegg is for Tmobile 3G. Why isn't anyone selling the AT&T version? I know you can get phone from Dell directly unlocked for AT&T but it's $80 more just for that.
I use to be on AT&T but Now I am using AT&T via Straighttalk with my 2 year old Nokia 5800.
BTW I had the Titan in my hands for a month but went through three of them because they all had a random power cycle issue like ever 12 to 18 hrs. Had to return everything to reverse my upgrade back then when I was on AT&T. now the Freedom of being on StraightTalk I can choose any phone in an outright purchase as long as I get the correct sim which I have now which uses AT&T.
Anyway I just on the fence as to what I want to get. I really liked the Titan's size screen and Mango OS. I liked being able to watch netflix over Wifi. I like the email integration. Very easy to get to things. I posted in an Android forum and they telling me to get the Atrix 4G (the first one) because its got the best hardware money can buy in it's price range. But I not to crazy about Android as I am for Window Phone. I had my hands on a Droid Razor too and that takes some getting use to.
That first Samsung Focus (the first one) I have considered too because its in the price range of Venue pro. I really like the front facing camera on Titan because I used that Tango Video chat software and it worked pretty well when I used it back in Decemeber.
I just looking for some clarity here with these phones. One not supported the other call quality stinks etc etc...

Mobile World Congress starts pretty soon (like a day). Keep an eye out on the Lumia 900 for AT&T. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Mobile World Congress starts pretty soon (like a day). Keep an eye out on the Lumia 900 for AT&T. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
The downside with the Lumia is the same as with all other WP7 phones -the form factor. I absolutely LOVE the slider design of the DVP, and the keyboard is flat out excellent.

On the other hand, as others have noted the support from Dell is less than steller (twitter name should really be @DellDoesntCare).

Also in my experience the camera is not good at all. Frankly it sucks, though it may be better with Mango and the ability to save configuration settings to align better with the hardware's capabilities. I can't speak for that personally because, despite my love of the form factor, I finally punted it onto eBay and switched to a Trophy on VZW. Trophy's OK, but I miss the DVP Keyboard.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I decided to try out the Venue Pro from Newegg. Since they have a decent return policy I don't think I can go wrong. Should have it in my hands in a day or so.
I know that the Mobile expo is going on this week but even with those phones they going to be prices way out of range for me to outright purchase. I not with AT&T directly anymore, using StraightTalk with an AT&T sim card and doing this to save some money. Hopefully I will like the Venue pro. I really don't want to go back to the grip of AT&T and contracts.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I decided to try out the Venue Pro from Newegg. Since they have a decent return policy I don't think I can go wrong. Should have it in my hands in a day or so.
I know that the Mobile expo is going on this week but even with those phones they going to be prices way out of range for me to outright purchase. I not with AT&T directly anymore, using StraightTalk with an AT&T sim card and doing this to save some money. Hopefully I will like the Venue pro. I really don't want to go back to the grip of AT&T and contracts.

I'd love to hear about your experience with the camera quality with Mango. If it's acceptable now I would love to get back into a DVP, love that keyboard.

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Camera settings for best photos

Photo resolution: 5MP
ISO Gain: Auto/HJR
White Balance: Auto
Scene mode: Sports
Metering mode: Center weighted
Exposure Compensation: +0.7
Anti Banding: Off

Members online