Yo, Celio, Great.. but, how 'bout a SOFTWARE based solution?

unixvrules

Nov 3, 2007
Visit site
While the redfly hardware is quite slick, you gotta admit that the redfly software on the the WM6 and the within the redfly hardware (client side) is the real power here.

Having the capabilities to so the same thing as a window on a windoze/linux/macos desktop/laptop opens up a personal WM6 device to all sorts of new things on the consumer side. yeah, sure, the enterprise may see this as a way to slap a KB/monitor to your WM device, but, for me, this is a way to do something like off-board virtualization if I can run a window attached to my WM6 Treo while being within the corporate network (or even an unprotected network).

Sharing USB Drives, yeah, nice, but think in terms of RDP capabilities and potentially sharing drives/printers/etc from the local laptop into the WM6 host.

Could even be slick if the redfly client software was network accessible to the WM via simple proxy -> through your wireless carrier's network. Then, your phone could stay on your side, in your car, heck, just about anywhere and be accessible. I can see that little twist too as my wife calls and says "hey, on my phone can you...." while sitting at her desk.

The WM6 phone as an RDP Terminal Server -- hmm... interesting, in that it makes it able to access your phone just like any other server.

In any event, having redfly client software on win/linux/macos would solve the same type of problem as the integrated hardware solution -- 1 device you carry plus your laptop -- still keeping the data on the WM device -- with an added ability for allowing even better sharing than a USB drive.

Also, I'd imagine a software based solution could help lower the price (using a software-based solution) and there'd be way more takers (IMHO) -- even of the non technical kind. Input on the WM devices, even with things like MyMobile, couldn't hold a candle to a VGA-based input/display/sharing/networking piece of software that didn't use activesync (which keeps you from networking via the WM).

I'd stand in line for that ;-)

Last edited:

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Hi unixvrules,

You’re right on track, we realize that most of our secret sauce and intellectual property revolves around our driver code. Most of your ideas are currently on-the-table options but we have to be careful right now about which ideas we choose to chase at this early stage of the company. The first-gen REDFLY hardware was the first idea out of the gate (for a variety of reasons), but we hope to have other options soon. We’ll make sure your comments/opinions are presented to CEO and senior staff.

cindyhauff

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Another suggestion

Dear Celio
I really like the idea of the Redfly, but until I can watch my movies on it, it won't fly for me. I really enjoy watching movies on my Treo 800w using TCPMP. Use Any DVD Clone Mobile to compress them to my SD card. The only thing better would be a little bigger screen to enjoy them on...enter Redfly? Thanks

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Dear Celio
I really like the idea of the Redfly, but until I can watch my movies on it, it won't fly for me. I really enjoy watching movies on my Treo 800w using TCPMP. Use Any DVD Clone Mobile to compress them to my SD card. The only thing better would be a little bigger screen to enjoy them on...enter Redfly? Thanks

Bandwidth is the killer for videos.

But x2 on it, even if we can only do it via USB.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Thanks for the input. Video support is one of the most requested features from customers (and from our staff too, we all want to watch videos on the larger screen just as bad as anyone else). It's not an easy task (both bandwidth and compression issues), but we're working on multiple options so stay tuned.

unixvrules

Nov 3, 2007
Visit site
Since we're talking Video

Seems to me, the smart thing to do might be, rather than try to figure out how the driver would do it, is to have a program embedded in the redfly that reads the WMV/MP4 and play it natively. The internal phone memory is just storage at that point for the embedded player on the redfly.

Picking a good player to port (like TCPMP or something like that) would help bypass some of the bandwidth issues for trying to drive video seems to me to be WAY higher than having the redfly read the video files directly and mapping them to the screen. Sort of like what Windows Media Center might do with those 2 modes of running.

I think the hardware would just need speakers (and/or a jack). At this point, it's starting to look like a netbook that does really cool tricks -- hence, back to my statement about the redfly firmware actually being in software on a netbook and that being the perfect setup.

Or, maybe I'm just talking out of my... uh... hat. yeah. :D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon