Throwing this out to you developer-types

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
After seeing all these ads and PSAs lately about not texting and driving, especially among our younger drivers, I have to ask a question. Would it be possible to develop an app that disables a phones text/phone functions (basically puts it in airplane mode) once it reaches a certain velocity? I mean, there's accelerometers and such built-in to the phone, couldn't they be tapped for this? Throw a parental control password on it, and now it's impossible for a phone to be used for texting or talking over, say 5MPH.

Or is this out there already?

Thoughts?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem is such an app couldn't tell the difference between a driver and a passenger. There wouldn't be any purpose to disable the passenger's devices.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The problem is such an app couldn't tell the difference between a driver and a passenger. There wouldn't be any purpose to disable the passenger's devices.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
I understand, but at the same time, I would rather take my chances that my daughter's not texting in a car at all, instead of hoping she's just texting as a passenger.

So, I guess you could say I really don't see it as a problem. I'm looking at it as a parent, not a user.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I thought some carriers were going to start this on their own.

When I am driving, I think I am following a drunk driver and when I pass them I see it's some idiot trying to text on his phone.

I see texting and driving all the time in Chicago.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not looking to discuss the impacts of texting while driving, or the different ways to prevent it, I'm asking if the app exists as an option to use. There is no 'magic bullet' solution, but this could be another deterrent.

I haven't heard of any carriers starting this, but I hope they are.

So, back to my original question, is it possible to create this app? Or, does one exist?

And just because there's an app for doing this doesn't mean you have to use it or put it on your children's phones, just like any other app out there. It would be nice to have available though.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Would also be a problem of you were trying to text on a train, bus, cab, etc. As there will always be way to bypass these blocks, you unfortunately really need to put the onus on the user.

Every device should be equip (and can't be disabled) so that if you receive a text while moving, you get an option to ignore. Clicking ignore sends a pre-defined message to the original sender (I am driving now) and stops all inbound texts until the device senses no movement for maybe 5 minutes. If you don't wake the phone or read the message within say 30 seconds while moving, the Ignore option will turn on automatically. After being stopped for 5 minutes, all unread texts get pushed to the phone. If you send a text while under Ignore lock, inbound texts will again be unlocked till you tap Ignore again. This should be developed by someone and shared, license free, with the universe. It's too important not to. The temptation of reading that inbound message is to strong to resist.

We teach kids to; avoid drugs, not smoke, use protection, don't speed and buckle up. This has got to be added to to the list.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I can tell you that it's not possible to have an app like this on WP. No constantly running background tasks or way to turn on airplane mode automatically. I doubt that this is possible on iOS either. If anything can do this it would be Android, but I'm not sure about that.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Stiv

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I can tell you that it's not possible to have an app like this on WP. No constantly running background tasks or way to turn on airplane mode automatically. I doubt that this is possible on iOS either. If anything can do this it would be Android, but I'm not sure about that.

I can also confirm that unfortunately it's not possible for a WP7 app to be able to do this

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
After seeing all these ads and PSAs lately about not texting and driving, especially among our younger drivers, I have to ask a question. Would it be possible to develop an app that disables a phones text/phone functions (basically puts it in airplane mode) once it reaches a certain velocity? I mean, there's accelerometers and such built-in to the phone, couldn't they be tapped for this? Throw a parental control password on it, and now it's impossible for a phone to be used for texting or talking over, say 5MPH.

Or is this out there already?

Thoughts?

People seem to be avoiding your obvious question but the answer is it is not possible because applications aren't allowed to disable functionality like that.

One of the most obvious use cases is where an app automatically turns on vibrate when you enter a certain zone (work, conference whatever). This setting can only be changed by user action.

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The only way it's possible with the current SDK is using an elastic band and pulley system - one end attached to the phone, and the other to the needle on the speedometer. That should be WP8 compatible too ;)

It would certainly be possible for Microsoft to implement, and I think it would be a great feature for them to market - I'm sure there are other useful parental controls they could add too. You could suggest it at Windows Phone Feature Suggestions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital