Voids Warranty-What about insurance?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I know gdr3 will void my warranty, but if I get a replacement phone with insurance, if I break my screen for example, can I still use insurance or it voids that too? I'm with ATT by the way, and have their insurance.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
So when my warranty expires, but I have insurance, and my phone breaks but has an update that isn't fully out yet, they will still take it?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
They probably won't even care.

I think the 'void-warranty' statement is put there by Microsoft just to cover their bases.

humdinger

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Typically I don't think they would have the expertise to figure out that the phone had a preview OS on it. I took my phone to the MS store last week because my screen was broken and I had insurance through them. They didn't even check to see if the phone turned on, much less what OS it had.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering the same... What if I manage to break my precious Lumia 1020 a second time?

Granted, the first time around, the people in the Microsoft Store (I bought it through them) swapped the device, no questions asked. They simply took my $50 deductible, got the account information, checked to make sure personal data was wiped (they were impressed to see I had done it myself, they said it could get tiring trying to explain to people how to backup, delete, and restore their data).

So hopefully they'll be nice about it, but I am a bit concerned. I'd really like to get GDR3, especially with rotation lock and app closing, and it's awesome to be free from the shackles of AT&T!!! It'd be a real shame to have to sit on the sidelines and wait because of fear of breaking my device...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have insurance with at&t, so I'm worried about them. Microsoft themselves wouldn't care.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Meh, screw it, downloaded gdr3. :)

Same here. Besides, no one in an AT&T Store is going to be able to tell the difference. If your device is bricked, how the hell will they be able to check the software version? Microsoft only said what they said to absolve themselves of liability should something go wrong, then your warranty provider denies you coverage. It's unlikely, but they just wanted to play it safe.

I've got GDR3 running on my Lumia 1020, and I love it thus far. No major or noticeable bugs, but it does seem that a few simple tasks are slightly slower than before (Like opening messages). Not the biggest issue in the world, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for more problems.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how this would void a warrany... This is not a hardware change, it's only software. That statement was done my MS to AKA:Cover their A$$ but, I think it's bull.....

Unless we got the change in the 928/920/1020 etc, that gave us more tiles, no one would notice the change out of the box because there is no visual changes to the homepage.

I downloaded it on my 928....Disapointed that we dont get the new tiles....Oh, well...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how this would void a warrany... This is not a hardware change, it's only software. That statement was done my MS to AKA:Cover their A$$ but, I think it's bull.....

Unless we got the change in the 928/920/1020 etc, that gave us more tiles, no one would notice the change out of the box because there is no visual changes to the homepage.

I downloaded it on my 928....Disapointed that we dont get the new tiles....Oh, well...

Lack of more tile space is indeed a disappointment, but GDR3 is still nice overall. I'm mostly excited that we can finally bypass the carriers for updates. :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Isn't it a confusing process though?

I wouldn't say so. You just log-in with your Microsoft Account to register, then you can select to opt into the developer preview program. I'm sure tutorials for how to do so will begin popping up on YouTube in no time.

And, once it's set-up, you're done. Anytime a new update comes out, whether it be an official, carrier approved update, or a Developer Preview update, you'll be notified and asked if you'd like to install. Easy peasy, and exactly the same as receiving normal updates, whether you're in the program or not.

I think it's great. One time set-up, then you're good, and you'll get to enjoy updates even if greedy corporate companies like AT&T don't want you to have them.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What about if you flash back to GDR2? Wonder if anyone has tried to see if the Nokia flash tool would still work with GDR3.

UnnDunn

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I know gdr3 will void my warranty, but if I get a replacement phone with insurance, if I break my screen for example, can I still use insurance or it voids that too? I'm with ATT by the way, and have their insurance.

You are still covered by insurance; neither Microsoft nor AT&T can revoke that, as long as you continue paying the premiums. Be aware that there is a deductible on insurance claims ($150 on the high-end Lumias) and you can only make two claims a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon