Anyone feels mad that some developers got access to private API while others don't? For example, pocket file manager and UC browser now have the ability to write files to SD Card.
    02-22-2014 07:42 PM
    I mean it makes sense from a security standpoint to only give special access to trusted devs. I mean a dev probably could corrupt the SD card, so they need to be extra careful
    wapoz, xandros9 and rdubmu like this.
    02-22-2014 07:45 PM
    I mean it makes sense from a security standpoint to only give special access to trusted devs. I mean a dev probably could corrupt the SD card, so they need to be extra careful
    Agreed. You can't just have some random developer getting that kind of system access.
    02-22-2014 08:11 PM
    Agreed. You can't just have some random developer getting that kind of system access.
    what you said is true. but if the playing field is not equal, how can a new developer compete against a more established app when they have better API access? It leaves a bitter taste. I don't think other platforms have this issue.
    02-22-2014 09:15 PM
    what you said is true. but if the playing field is not equal, how can a new developer compete against a more established app when they have better API access? It leaves a bitter taste. I don't think other platforms have this issue.
    iOS doesn't because there is no SD card or communal storage to access.
    Android is a wild west of functionality. Its reasonable for MS to be worried about the potential security risks of rogue apps from anybody.
    I understand its unfair, but its understandable why they would do such a thing.

yea, that was my first thought when I saw the posts about those apps. I wonder how they will do it going forward? a second tier of screening?
    02-22-2014 10:06 PM
    iOS doesn't because there is no SD card or communal storage to access.
    Android is a wild west of functionality. Its reasonable for MS to be worried about the potential security risks of rogue apps from anybody.
    I understand its unfair, but its understandable why they would do such a thing.

yea, that was my first thought when I saw the posts about those apps. I wonder how they will do it going forward? a second tier of screening?
    not only SD Card access. There are apps with access to video library while others can't. At least they should make it public that certain restricted APIs exist and tell us the condition to get access to them. It's not cool like this.
    02-22-2014 11:29 PM
    not only SD Card access. There are apps with access to video library while others can't. At least they should make it public that certain restricted APIs exist and tell us the condition to get access to them. It's not cool like this.
    yeah, I kinda agree with that. It would be nice if they at least said what you have to do to get that kind of access, but at least some devs are getting it because that gives us some advantages over iOS.

Also, I imagine that the video API might be fixed in 8.1 since I don't see that being that much of a security issue, especially since you can access photos.
    02-23-2014 02:36 PM
    Its good that they let uc browser to access SD card like storing videos saving videos to SD card uc is the best downloader.
    02-25-2014 08:33 PM