How Much of C# do I need to know before developing a Windows Phone app?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I've been learning C# from Channel 9 since the past few weeks and I've reached lesson 8.

When I first discovered Channel 9's tutorials my goal was to develop a Windows Phone app but I needed to know the fundamentals of C# before doing so.

So after Lesson 8 should I continue to learn more about the fundamentals or if I move to Windows Phone app development now? If I ever encounter something I don't know I'll refer back to the C# fundamental tutorials.

e4u4uta8

If I do need to know more about C# could one of you outline what topics from the above photo are most important for Windows Phone app development?
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's really great to see you throwing yourself into this. I've been developing in C# for probably the last 10 years or so (business systems, not app development) and I by no stretch of the imagination know everything.

But that's really the point, you don't need to know the A-Z of C# to code apps - you just need to know what you have to know to get the job done. Then you can extend your knowledge when you bump into a problem.

I'd say start now. Design your app and create the core UI first. Then bolt on the other parts of functionality - as you run into issues (e.g. "How do I connect to and get data from a web service on the internet?", "How do I animate things on the screen?"), you can research because you have something concrete to look for.

Between coding, keep on learning, maybe jumping to sections that you feel you need for your app.

All the best with it.

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I watched that same course like a month ago. I watched and took all the quizzes. I would say it's not really necessary but it's good so you know some of the terms and what they do. If you don't watch it you will have to search them on your own as they come. So it's really up to you. It's not necessary you will eventually learn most of it.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
can you tell me what is pc requirement to install to install wp8.1 SDK n visual studio 13.
please guide me
Not much for the SDK but it needs to be x64 not x86(32bit) and I think there is some virtualisation your cpu needs to be able to do to run the emulator.

To OP
Just start, try making simple barebones bits and work up. You will no doubt get 80% done and have learnt so much "on the job" you will want to rewrite again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs