What does it take to make developing an app worthwhile?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to know what kind of return on investment your average developer needs to see to make it worth their time to put together a decent app. I am totally clueless on this, so if there are any developers here who can provide some perspective on this I would appreciate it.

Cheers!

Bruno Lemos

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
For me, as a developer, it's a pleasure to see the increasing number of people using something you created and giving nice feedbacks.

In the beginning it's enough, but to keep motivated creating new apps and updating the ones you created the number of users has to be big (thousands) and receiving a good amount of money with it (depending on if it's a hobby or a job, it varies)

So when you see a donate option in an app or a "no ads" version, consider buying it if you want updates :p

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
For me, as a developer, it's a pleasure to see the increasing number of people using something you created and giving nice feedbacks.

In the beginning it's enough, but to keep motivated creating new apps and updating the ones you created the number of users has to be big (thousands) and receiving a good amount of money with it (depending on if it's a hobby or a job, it varies)

So when you see a donate option in an app or a "no ads" version, consider buying it if you want updates :p

Thanks. I typically get the no ad version whenever possible. I have no problem shelling out a couple of bucks for a solid app, and people deserve to be compensated fairly for their work.

I guess what I am trying to understand is what sort of payday does the average person with an idea for an app need to see to make it worth their time. I have no idea how long it takes to do this, which obviously affects the amount of return on their time a person would need to see.

luke_f

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I think if you start developing apps, you absolutely have to see it as a hobby primarily, because the chances of erarning serious money with them are very small. You will have to invest countless hours of work without getting any reasonable income, especially in the beginning. So if income was your target, you would probably quickly get bored and depressed and drop the project... ;-) There are very few developers that can live from their apps, the big majority can't. So it must be fun to develop your app, you have to get good feedback, and hopefully you also get a small side income from it after some time. At least, that is what keeps me going with my project, plus the hopes to get a little more cash at some point.

luke_f

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
One more thought I just had: It also depends a lot on where you are living. If you live in a country where life is rather cheap, like in developing countries such as India, China, etc, then your chances of earning enough money to live from it are a lot higher, compared to if you live in Europe or the US, where life is very expensive. So that will also have an influence on your motivation. An income that is a joke in my country could be a good (or at least sufficient) income in another country.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism