App Switcher & Double Tap to Dismiss

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Edit: Dan covers it with a guide here - https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-duo-speed-tip

Saw this tip posted on Reddit, thought i'd share it here as well.

The app switcher gesture is where you swipe up and hold it. Sometimes this gesture is difficult to initiate. This is especially true right after you've initiated it. Try repeating this gesture multiple times in a row. Won't work. This is a core function that needs to happen every single time.

The fix is to go to settings > system > Gestures > disable double tap to dismiss. I have no clue what "double tap to dismiss" is supposed to do. Supposedly you can double tap the gesture bar in the bottom to dismiss an app? I don't think that's right because it just straight up doesn't work. Anyway, after disabling it I can get the app switcher to open 90% of the time which is a huge improvement for me. Hope it helps!

edit: Go to settings > system > gestures > system navigation > change to lowest. This prevents so many accidental "back" gestures from initializing especially when you are in vertical orientation. I'm convinced that the combination of this and "double tap to dismiss" are the main reasons the phone feels so buggy. Apps are not crashing, people are accidentally sending these apps to the background because gestures was so poorly tuned before shipping. Some apps do in fact crash or aren't optimized for the Duo, but not being able to relaunch them right away due to "double tap to dismiss" make the device feel broken.​

Last edited:

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I got rid of gesture nav and went to 3-buttons as soon as I booted it up. Why make life difficult because someone at Android thinks gestures are cool?

noopsterz

Oct 22, 2020
Visit site
I have had mostly no issues with gestures. Only thing to keep in mind is perform clear cut gestures and it works pretty much every time. Only thing that gets me stumped is when using Amazon app, if I click on something (like a listing or a review) and want to go back, the back gesture does not work. There is literally no way to go back. If anyone has an answer to this please help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett