Learning C#

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Good morning,
I'm a Java...ah, novice. I know the basics but I'm not running around doing Java based wizardry. However, this isn't from a lack of interest in developing, it's simply because I wish to focus my energies on another language. After some research I think I've decided on C# to "replace" Java for now. As far as I can tell, most of the differences seem to be syntax (as expected) but I'd like to know what other differences there are (such as garbage collecting, etc.), and what exactly I can do to learn the fine details about C#. Where's the best place to go to find reliable, up-to-date information?

Also, is there any way to get Visual Studio to recognize .java files so I can look at all my old programs? I was previously using jGrasp.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You never get the same depth from a video that you do from a well written book. If you just want to know how to flick the light switch, but not really understand how it works and why it works in that way, then videos like that are fine. If you aspire to some level of professionalism, you need to read the books.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I usually prefer videos as I'm a quick learner, but the book that @a5cent posted by Jon Skeet is really good and help me out! I originally started out with Java from my Computer Science class and after that I moved my way over to C#

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I usually prefer videos as I'm a quick learner, but the book that @a5cent posted by Jon Skeet is really good and help me out! I originally started out with Java from my Computer Science class and after that I moved my way over to C#

Hey Josiah, I'm glad you're enjoying the book!

The question "video vs. book" doesn't have anything to do with how quickly you learn though.

There is certainly an argument to be made that some people simply prefer to learn through listening (being told something). Different people learn easiest in different ways. It's also true that some things are are just plain easier to learn through video/animated demonstrations. Origami art is one example. I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that for that particular purpose, a video tutorial on folding paper animals would be far better than receiving purely textual instructions (without pictures).

However, in that sense, software development is the exact opposite of origami art. There is a lot of theory and a lot of abstract thinking required where a video doesn't add anything. For that sort of thing, books are simply better. It's for that reason that you won't find C# video tutorials that go into the same depth as the book I recommended. Text and the occasional table and/or chart is simply the best medium to pass on that sort of information. Video and animation can only very rarely improve on that, and usually detracts from it.

I've worked at various software companies. It was common knowledge that those people who furthered their knowledge primarily through books generally had a far better understanding of their craft than those who chose other means. For that reason, every one of those companies would ask job applicants to opine on some of the software engineering related books they had read during the last year. Those who couldn't provide off the cuff answers, particularly those who were considered to be "YouTube taught", were never taken as seriously.

So, I'd say it's not a question of how quick a study you are, but whether you are happy with a superficial understanding of how a programming language, a compiler, and the run-time environment work, or if you'd prefer to master the craft.

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I wasn't expecting such an in-depth and insightful response in my thread, and I thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy post. I agree wholeheartedly that different mediums serve different subjects better. There are some things (like painting, for example) the use visual learning methods far more effectively then, say, creative writing. I, for one, would trust a book detailing a programming language over a video any day, because it makes logical sense to me. I will definitely take a look at the book you suggested, and consider purchasing it in the future. I'd love to further my programming knowledge and eventually boast a repertoire of languages at my disposal. For now, I can barely even consider myself an amateur, but we all start somewhere, right?

Thank you for anyone who participated in this thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb