Game Install Time

Dave Scarpa

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Why does it take so long to install a game from a disk, I think it took over the course of 3 days (sessions of 2-3 hours each ) to fully install a disk, a Large game from the Store is even longer why is it so slow, its almost unuasable

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Why does it take so long to install a game from a disk, I think it took over the course of 3 days (sessions of 2-3 hours each ) to fully install a disk, a Large game from the Store is even longer why is it so slow, its almost unuasable

could you share with us the specs of your pc? Are other functions also slow? Like copying files, playing videos, editing, browsing etc

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Are you absolutely sure you're installing from the disk? In order to install from the disk you need to go into Offline Mode in your Network Settings. If you're online then it will ignore the disk and attempt to download the most up-to-date install file from the servers. Depending on your bandwidth and how large the game is, this can take several hours. Installing from a disk should only take a matter of minutes. The longest install times for me have been 10-15 minutes for rather large games.

goober84

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
What's your Internet setup? If you are on a slower plan to might take a longer time due to your xbox connecting online and installing latest patches as well.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a good connection... about 50mb down, 100% wired via gigabit... The Xbox one is slow as crap when it comes to getting games. We tried to play the free game of Titanfall 2... and with 5 people on Xbox live chatting, it was over 2 hours before we could all play.

And Microsoft pushes digital games... what a joke. I Go home with a new game and it's about 2 hours before I can play, this is installing off disk, then updates and more updates. Or if I download a 30gb game.... its an easy 3 hours before the game is completed downloading..

Sure you can play it when it's partly downloaded but, a lot of features you cant use till you download the whole game

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So for starters, there's a huge difference between megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB). 1MB = 8Mb. Your download speed of 50 is in megabits per second or Mbps. So in reality, you're only downloading at a rate of 6.25 MBps at full speed. The fact that you're wired to a gigabit router or whatever means absolutely nothing. At a rate of 6.25 MBps, it would take you approximately one hour to download a 20GB (1GB = 1024MB). That's if there is no other load on your own network, your ISP's network, interference, packet loss, etc., etc. So two hours to download 20GB or three hours for 30GB isn't unreasonable.

As I said in a previous post, if you're installing from a disc, ensure you're in offline mode first. Otherwise, as soon as you tell it to install, it will begin downloading the game from the Xbox servers with the latest updates. It will completely ignore the disc. You should be able to cut down your install time to 10-15 minutes by installing from disc, and then spend another 10-15 minutes installing whatever updates/patches there have been for the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon