Does battery level affect latency in Xbox One controller?

Thomas Dewangga

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have Xbox One S controller for my PC gaming just about a week. Last night when I played MGS:phantom pain, I feel some latency. I can't control the game because the camera feels like keep spinning even when I stop moving right joystick. And I just like keep walking when left joystick is stop moving.

I know there must be some latency in this controller, because I'm using Bluetooth connection. I just want to know, does battery level affect the latency? I'm using double AA batteries from the box btw, which is mean I'm not change it yet.

I don't know how to check battery level on W10, and I dont have Xb1. So..., does battery have some affect on latency? Let me know okay. Thx.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the new controller with BT, but the original Xbox controller (from 2013) does seem to be less accurate when the batteries are really low. This only happens well after the "low battery" notification, and usually means the controller only has a couple minutes of battery life left. The original controllers weren't very good with battery life (lasting around a month on average).

My Elite controller has been in use since January and I've only replaced the batteries once, so they seem to have improved it drastically. The only time I've noticed a decrease in accuracy is when I was on a different floor of the house.
Not sure if these improvement have carried over to the 2016 Xbox controller, though from what I've heard the quality of the 2016 is way better than the 2013, so I'd expect the battery life and consistency in performance to be improved.

Also, Bluetooth will almost certainly have latency when compared to Wi-Fi Direct ("Xbox Wireless"). If I remember correctly, that's why MS went with Wi-Fi Direct instead of BT at the start. Obviously Wi-Fi will be higher bandwidth and range, though battery life seems to take a hit.
You may want to make sure you have a clear line between the computer and the controller. Again, I don't have a 2016 controller to know for sure, but Bluetooth generally doesn't have great range.
You could also use USB (any standard cable works, but you'll probably want a long one), it will power the controller (no batteries required) and disable the wireless functionality. It's not wireless, but it's easy and reliable. There's also the Xbox Wireless Adapter, which works great, but that's a separate piece to purchase.

Thomas Dewangga

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, maybe the bluetooth may cause some issue. But this issue only affect on MGS only, as far as I know. I played another game like Borderlands 2, Batman arkham knight, and Doom, and I didn't find any latency.

Maybe it's the game..., I dont know. How long does the AA batteries life span? If that is the problem maybe I should try Charge and Play kit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12