7-inch form factor?

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
What's happening!?

I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this. My form factor of preference for a tablet is 7-inches and so far I have not heard (read) anything about a Windows 8 powered one. I used to own a Galaxy Tab that I could slide down my jacket's pocket and you could not even tell it was there. My mom recently got a Nexus 7 and I think its fantastic... I really don't want to go 10-in for portability reasons.

Are you cool with 10-inches of awesomeness or are you like me, hoping for a 7-incher to be announced rather soon?

Thanks!

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It's strange, I had thought the 7 inch factor was a bit redundant until I used my flatmate's nexus tab. Now I totally get it. In an ideal world I'd have Windows 8 (full) on a 10 inch tablet and then a 7 inch Windows RT device :)

Back to your question though, no we haven't heard anything yet, and unfortunately I don't expect we will until perhaps next year

Last edited:

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 7 and love it. It would be better with W8 on it, but it is still nice. The 10" tabs always looked too big. Also, 7" devices are more affordable.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Kindle Fire and I'm actually not overwhelmed with the 7" form factor. For mobile websites and apps, a larger smartphone (4.5" give or take 0.3") seems just as good. For stuff that isn't really optimized for mobile, like normal websites, you really need 10" for legibility.

I'd much rather have a 4.8" smartphone and a 10.6" tablet than a 7" tablet, which to me feels too big for smartphone use and too small for heavy tablet use.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Where's the "all of the above" option? :D

But seriously, I don't like the sub-10" screen unless it's sub-5" for a phone. Probably because everything currently available has a terrible screen resolution. Everything I do for work (spreadsheets, documents, admin utilities) requires a minimum of 720p for me to consider a device useful, and 1080p is ideal.

I'm actually considering the Dell XPS Duo right now, but we'll see once all the players and specs are available.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I get that some people prefer the 7" size but, for me I'm thinking that the 10" range looks just about right. Once Surface is out and I've had a chance to check it out in person then I'll know for sure but, that's where I'm planning on putting my money.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I want something in the 10" range. But I'd love a 20" as well. I'd look at a 20" more like a big laptop, where I bring it somewhere for a specific purpose. Would be awesome for presentations. I could also imagine that it would rock for RTS games.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I want something in the 10" range. But I'd love a 20" as well. I'd look at a 20" more like a big laptop, where I bring it somewhere for a specific purpose. Would be awesome for presentations. I could also imagine that it would rock for RTS games.

Are you aware of the new Sony Tap 20, a 20" Windows 8 tablet that can serve as either an all-in-one desktop (plugged in, with wireless keyboard and mouse) or as a mobile battery-equipped table-top tablet?

Sony VAIO Tap 20 hands-on (video) -- Engadget

It's so completely unlike anything else out there, yet the minute I saw it, I was like "that's the best family computer ever designed." Watching a movie in bed? Playing multiplayer touchscreen games on the family table? Prop it up on a desk to write a book report? It does it all.

EDIT: Clearly you knew about the Tap 20...it's right in the poll! Never mind...

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd like a 12" with digitizer. It's a great size for taking notes. The 14" convertible I have now would be great as a touch too except possibly a bit too big and tiring for couch potato mode.

We shall see, LOTS of tablets and convertibles to choose from so far!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte