(Rumour) Asus VivoTab Note 8: BayTrail with Wacom Digitizer - $299

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If Dell doesn't get their act together with their poor stylus they could see their market disappear overnight, and if they don't, they deserve it. Wacom will just work, no having to deal with dead batteries or exchanging pens to find one that works. Looking forward to the competition!

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If Dell doesn't get their act together with their poor stylus they could see their market disappear overnight, and if they don't, they deserve it. Wacom will just work, no having to deal with dead batteries or exchanging pens to find one that works. Looking forward to the competition!
It's remarkable how the stylus is becoming a 'requisite feature' for Windows 8. Wouldn't surprise me if in the 2014-2015 year we see all mainstream Windows tablet-PCs house an active digitizer of some sort, or at least a Bluetooth LE/4.0 solution.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's remarkable how the stylus is becoming a 'requisite feature' for Windows 8. Wouldn't surprise me if in the 2014-2015 year we see all mainstream Windows tablet-PCs house an active digitizer of some sort, or at least a Bluetooth LE/4.0 solution.

Maybe because it complements Windows 8.1 and the new 8" devices. You get ultimate portability and productivity and as OneNote is included with tablets it also makes the ultimate note taking companion that syncs to all your devices. All that's missing is stylus support on WP and the trifecta would be complete.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey, they're PCs in a tablet's body. I wouldn't be surprised if someone just connects this to an external screen and just used one as a graphics tablet.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Digitizer had always defined Windows tablet-PCs. They were only gone thanks to Steve Jobs making them uncool with his usual "you blew it" FUD comment to promote their own iPad, but any serious user whom had experienced a digitizer on a supported Windows tablet-PC post Vista would know how powerful and productive it can be. Thanks to Apple we are probably held back for about 3 years in terms of digitizer/handwriting recognition development (and also thanks to Samsung which made them cool again with their Note series) - digitizers should have never been taken out but kept as a supplement input device along side touch. We have keyboard+mouse for PCs combo and I think the future should be touch+pen as standard for all tablets. This would be especially true in Asian countries where keyboards aren't suited to inputting logograms such as Chinese but instead handwriting is the more natural method.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Digitizer had always defined Windows tablet-PCs. They were only gone thanks to Steve Jobs making them uncool with his usual "you blew it" FUD comment to promote their own iPad, but any serious user whom had experienced a digitizer on a supported Windows tablet-PC post Vista would know how powerful and productive it can be. Thanks to Apple we are probably held back for about 3 years in terms of digitizer/handwriting recognition development (and also thanks to Samsung which made them cool again with their Note series) - digitizers should have never been taken out but kept as a supplement input device along side touch. We have keyboard+mouse for PCs combo and I think the future should be touch+pen as standard for all tablets. This would be especially true in Asian countries where keyboards aren't suited to inputting logograms such as Chinese but instead handwriting is the more natural method.

Indeed. Looking at the rumoured price-point for the Asus it sounds as though Wacom's pushing cheaper active digitizer sets suitable for entry-level devices. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot if not most Windows 8.x tablets next year come in with an active digitizer... that or ASUS is compromising on something (e.g. display quality)... or we're looking at a higher price-point.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
According to Mobile Geeks there may be multiple versions of the VivoTab Note 8. Nothing confirmed but it could be that while the series starts at $299, there may be a separate version with Wacom, and as a result, costlier. Nonetheless, I'd consider paying $399 if I could get Wacom, Bay Trail, 64GB of storage and a good quality screen.

ASUS VivoTab Note 8 M80TA 8inch Windows-Tablet mit Wacom-Digitizer ? Alle Spezifikationen *UPDATE: Neue Bilder!* | Mobilegeeks.de | Tablets

I'd consider it, but $299 sounds a lot better:thumbup: Plus it'd be lower than Samsung's Note 8.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If this is true, then the Dell is definitely out of the running for me. I was originally waiting for Samsung to announce their 8-inch Bay Trail tablets because they always use Wacom for their S Pen technology, but if this gets released first then Asus will be getting my money. On a different note: I understand that Asus chose the screen resolution they did to keep the price low, but I would like to see an option to get a build-to-order model that has a 1920x1200 screen. Bay Trail supports this resolution, so I don't see why it can't be an upgrade option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon