Switching to Windows and need help buying a desktop

p51

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm looking to switch from my iMac to a Windows machine. I would be using it primarily for web development, photoshop, and video editing. I'm not well versed in the technical side of Windows, so I'm looking for some help.
I want a large monitor & something powerful enough to keep up with my needs.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a budget in mind? Are you looking for a name brand or plan to self build?

You'll want either a intel i7 or AMD Rayzen 7 or 9 CPU. Independent video card NVidia chipset something like [URL="https://www.amazon.de/Gv-N166TOC-6GD-DisplayPort-Windforce-K%C3%BChlsystem-Grafikkarten/dp/B07NJPKZQG?SubscriptionId=AKIAILFAVZOSNHLC35ZA&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07NJPKZQG%22&tag=techracom00-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3793433]this[/URL]. At least 16GB of RAM, preferably more. Solid Stat Drive (SSD) for loading Windows on (256GB minimum) and another standard SATA hard drive for storage (2TB and up).

Recommend a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive for backups. Not necessary but a good idea.

Budget will drive what you buy of course.

Same goes for monitors. How much do you want to spend?

p51

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Do you have a budget in mind? Are you looking for a name brand or plan to self build?

You'll want either a intel i7 or AMD Rayzen 7 or 9 CPU. Independent video card NVidia chipset something like [URL="https://www.amazon.de/Gv-N166TOC-6GD-DisplayPort-Windforce-K%C3%BChlsystem-Grafikkarten/dp/B07NJPKZQG?SubscriptionId=AKIAILFAVZOSNHLC35ZA&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07NJPKZQG%22&tag=techracom00-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3793517]this[/URL]. At least 16GB of RAM, preferably more. Solid Stat Drive (SSD) for loading Windows on (256GB minimum) and another standard SATA hard drive for storage (2TB and up).

Recommend a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive for backups. Not necessary but a good idea.

Budget will drive what you buy of course.

Same goes for monitors. How much do you want to spend?

My limit would be $2000 total. Of course, I'd like to be under that if possible.
Name brand computer since I have NO idea how to build one. Although, if building one would save significant cost then it might be worthwhile to learn how to self-build.
Def an i7, independent video card, 32gb RAM, SSD. I'm not familiar with AMD Rayzen.
Looked at an NAS drive & learning about them now. Seem to be several different configs.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My limit would be $2000 total. Of course, I'd like to be under that if possible.
Name brand computer since I have NO idea how to build one. Although, if building one would save significant cost then it might be worthwhile to learn how to self-build.
Def an i7, independent video card, 32gb RAM, SSD. I'm not familiar with AMD Rayzen.
Looked at an NAS drive & learning about them now. Seem to be several different configs.

If your budget is $2000 then looking at a self build is probably the way the get the best bang for your buck. Building a computer is pretty simple these days. Everything is plug and play. It's been a while since I built a desktop (I've built a few) but it's gets easier every year.

You should look into the new AMD CPUs they're very good and at this point even better performance than the current Intel processors. They're also a lot cheaper.

You can use this as a bit of a guide but I'd probably recommend a higher level CPU and of course you don't need to follow everything in the article but it gives you some great advice.

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-for-video-editing/

As for a monitor check this one.

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-1440p-monitors

p51

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
If your budget is $2000 then looking at a self build is probably the way the get the best bang for your buck. Building a computer is pretty simple these days. Everything is plug and play. It's been a while since I built a desktop (I've built a few) but it's gets easier every year.

You should look into the new AMD CPUs they're very good and at this point even better performance than the current Intel processors. They're also a lot cheaper.

You can use this as a bit of a guide but I'd probably recommend a higher level CPU and of course you don't need to follow everything in the article but it gives you some great advice.

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-for-video-editing/

As for a monitor check this one.

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-1440p-monitors

I'll read the articles later tonight.
Any thoughts on a NAS?

Thank you!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For your budget, you can get / build a pretty decent computer.

If you have to buy a pre-built PC with a Intel CPU make sure it's a 8th Gen not 10th Gen.

I second what @N_LaRUE has said about Ryzen.

Plus with a Ryzen based PC you can upgrade the PC later without worrying about being locked into specific chipset as you would be Intel.

Also AM4 is being supported upto 2020, however there is notable exception being A320 motherboards won't have support for latest Ryzen CPUs (according to Riley at Linus Tech Tips - But I see Scan.co.uk {scan are a PC component sellers and system builders} selling A ryzen 5 3600 and A320 bundle... hmm).
Ryzen 5 Bundle.PNG

Linus Tech Tips.PNG

With a Ryzen based build you get alot more performance per dollar especially with a Ryzen 5 3600X.

Any case, you can usually get decent deals with bundled components.

Last edited:

p51

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
For your budget, you can get / build a pretty decent computer.

If you have to buy a pre-built PC with a Intel CPU make sure it's a 8th Gen not 10th Gen.

I second what @N_LaRUE has said about Ryzen.

Plus with a Ryzen based PC you can upgrade the PC later without worrying about being locked into specific chipset as you would be Intel.

Also AM4 is being supported upto 2020, however there is notable exception being A320 motherboards won't have support for latest Ryzen CPUs (according to Riley at Linus Tech Tips - But I see Scan.co.uk {scan are a PC component sellers and system builders} selling A ryzen 5 3600 and A320 bundle... hmm).
View attachment 141366

View attachment 141367

With a Ryzen based build you get alot more performance per dollar especially with a Ryzen 5 3600X.

Any case, you can usually get decent deals with bundled components.

Thanks!! Appreciate your input. Pretty steep learning curve for me so far, as I'm pretty new to all of this. I'll keep researching & learning though.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!! Appreciate your input. Pretty steep learning curve for me so far, as I'm pretty new to all of this. I'll keep researching & learning though.

No problem, I suggest checking out Buildzoid and Gamers Nexus they have pretty good videos / tutorials. I've learnt heck of alot from watching their videos also found them to quite objective compared to other reviewers/youtubers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon