Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I really want to switch to Windows Phone. I actually have posted some months ago about me switching to WP. I was ready to trade my iPhone to a Lumia 920 but the lack of play counts really bothered me so I backed out. I know it may be a very small detail to other people but I really want my plays to be organized. As a music lover, I really want play counts to be synced. It doesn't really matter for me if I need to completely abandon iTunes for a Windows music player as long as it syncs Phone play counts to PC. I have an iPod as well but I don't bring it to work or short trips to the gym since it's really bothersome to bring that heavy piece of device everywhere. I only bring my iPod with me to long trips and vacation.

As a person heavily invested to music, I keep in track to what I listen to and I post weekly charts in a forum, that's how important play counts are to me. Yes, I have a last.fm account but there's some glitch in last.fm that doesn't accurately scrobble all of my plays. It has a success rate of around 80% but my iTunes really is more accurate with play counts.

If you guys know an app that can import my play counts from my phone to my PC then I'd gladly trade my iPhone for a Windows Phone. That is all that is holding me from getting a Windows Phone. Thanks guys!

GrabMyWrist

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

I'm switching this afternoon. I really like Win Phone 8. That said, it lacks too many features that I've come to rely on. Perhaps I'll one day come back. For now, I'm off to Android land again.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

Seems like I'm in the same boat as a lot of folks here. I test phones at my work and my primary phone is a Galaxy S4 Active. I tried the Lumia 920 earlier this year very briefly as it was a demo unit and all I really wanted to know is if it would be compatible with my works environment. When I heard the L1020 was being released it looked like a really nice device so I decided to actually place an order for one. Once I recieved it I was challenged to put away my S4 Active for 30 days and use the L1020 as my daily driver. It's a very nice device and I was able to make it my daily driver but like everyone else here the lack of the basics are really killing it for me. The toast and live tile notifications are very inconsistent due to the horrible job of Microsofts Push Notification server, Single Volume control, no personalised notification sounds and bunch of other LITTLE things that should be standard on a Smartphone these days. Also, the lack of a 200GB, heck I may even need 400GB soon, of Skydrive storage is another big drawback for me in completely switching over from the Google Ecosystem to Microsofts. I haven't made it to 30 days and as I'm typing this message I'm doing a factory reset on my L1020 to fix the stupid notification limit error that I get on some Apps and once it's back up and running it will turn into my secondary device as I will be going back to my S4 Active as my primary. Sorry Nokia, Samsung, HTC but Microsoft is seriously crippling your business and shooting themselves in the foot. The way I see it is WP8 will be good for the budget consumer market but as a full featured flagship device for consumers and business market Microsoft has a lot of polishing up to do and hopefully I can pick up the L1020 again when Microsoft releases their next update or the 8.1 update.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Dude, can you be more of a ******? Everyone is stupid and not worth their stories being heard because they are leaving your beloved mobile platform? Maybe people are starting to realize that WP8 isn't a finished product and lacks tons of functionality that can already be had on other platforms. So they are leaving....can you blame them?

I spent two stints on WP8, and finally just gave up for now and went back to Android. It just simply isn't ready for primetime yet IMO. I hope that it will be some day, but in its current state, it simply is not. And don't act like "lack of updates" only affects Android. Look at your own beloved platform and the same thing is going on. It's been almost a year and some basics still haven't been addressed. For a platform that is trying to hit 5% market share and beyond, that's not a good way to go about things. There is still one universal volume for the phone....really? Little things like this are making people switch over to other platforms. If they can't get the small things right, it's just not worth the battle.

I went from an 8X to a Droid DNA and then the (disastrous) Lumia 928 to a Galaxy S4 and I can't be happier. Just knowing that I can do everything that I want to do with ease, use all of the official apps as they were intended and control my phone how it should be controlled is just a breath of fresh air. And the Android is "laggy" argument is so outdated. With Jelly Bean, things have been just fine. And of course WP8 is smooth....it is square tile images that scroll up and down and long-winded animations that enhance that "smooth" experience. Not saying it's a bad thing, but there isn't much going on to lag the system.

While you might think I'm bashing WP8, I'm really not. I'm actually frustrated because I really wanted WP8 to be my daily driver, but it just isn't ready for me yet. It's a really good, smooth and well integrated OS....it just needs more work for me to use it daily. I'm definitely rooting for it to succeed.

Also, at the end of the day, you need to be happy and use the platform that works for YOU. Whether it's iOS, Android, WP8 or Blackberry. There is no wrong answer and I think it's silly when people get blinded by one platform or another and bash people. They are all good in their own ways, it just comes down to personal preference and what you want to use it for. I will be following this thread, there are some interesting opinions going back and forth.

I think you're right about some points and wrong about others.

Windows Phone have a very distinct concept. Like Linux have a concept and Windows have other. Not better or worse, just different. And I really hope that doens't change very much.

Because some things you reported as bad, can be good for some people. Like you say. For me, have only a master volume control is nice. Why I would need a lot of ON + OFF choices and buttons, with a very polluited screen (just like others systems)? No, i just need a very fast and clean way to choose the volume. But thats me. Not you. And that's the beauty!!!

And this is only one tiny example. It's OK if some people didn't like some restrictions ou limitations, but it's OK too if others can like those things. Or even love!

When I'm with an Iphone or a Samsung SIV, I got chills with so many annoying options in every menu, a confuse layout and I'm always like: "oh god, how I can get out of this screen" or "oh god, where's the option for"... I know a lot of people who liked this simplicity on Windows Phone, include me off course. As I know several people who hated. Like you.

And I can leave with some limitations, after all there's no such thing as perfect system. I prefer those limitations than others that annoy me or bother me in other systems. And it can also be called as limitations.

I liked your post because that. You show that some people will like Windows Phone just the way it is. Otherwise, a lot of people will not like. And there is no problem about it! But sometimes you do not seem to agree with this. And this is the part that I think is wrong about your post.

I think this is a very good topic to prevent people to not spend money on a smartphone that not be good enough for them.

ps.: For me, Android is laggy - not like a year ago, but.. - even with a very updated version and very good smartphone. Samsung SIV for example.

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
switching from wp8 to android.

I tried to love wp8 but it just didnt work out for me, i never used android until i switched, and let me tell you, android is pretty good. And im not an android ****** since this is my first time using it. i just got tired of everything is missing in wp8 and all the bull**** from microsoft. Nokia should make android phones, thats would be awesome. I guess i switched to the darkside or maybe the other way around? By the way i bought the LG Optimus G Pro, this phone is awesome, 1080p display, 5.5 inch screen, snapdragon 600, quad core 1.7ghz and ect. But i will still check this site to see how the windows phone is improving. Take care!

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: switching from wp8 to android.

I tried to love wp8 but it just didnt work out for me, i never used android until i switched, and let me tell you, android is pretty good. And im not an android ****** since this is my first time using it. i just got tired of everything is missing in wp8 and all the bull**** from microsoft. Nokia should make android phones, thats would be awesome. I guess i switched to the darkside or maybe the other way around? By the way i bought the LG Optimus G Pro, this phone is awesome, 1080p display, 5.5 inch screen, snapdragon 600, quad core 1.7ghz and ect. But i will still check this site to see how the windows phone is improving. Take care!

I have the same phone as well and i'm loving the LG Optimus Pro. I've given MS all the chances but they have pissed it all away. They can't even manage to get big bug updates out or features. The other storage bug is something they will just about have to redo the entire OS to solve if I was a betting man. I can't see why or how the OS has to just about cache everything into the other storage. As far as I can tell right now MS is no better off WP wise from WP7 to WP8 since they look totally inept making a mobile operating system. How do you go from WP7 to WP8 and it is still an incomplete feature lacking OS just boggles the mind? What were they actually doing when they decided to jump from WP7 to WP8? In order to compete they had to come out with at least 50% of the features you competition had at the time.

How do you not in the year of 2012 have no auto app updates, screen orientation lock, separate sound profiles, and notification center just to name a few. How do you make the OS and make it in such a way you pretty much break it everytime you update it. Like I said it boggles the mind on what the engineers was thinking when designing WP8.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

When I'm with an Iphone or a Samsung SIV, I got chills with so many annoying options in every menu, a confuse layout and I'm always like: "oh god, how I can get out of this screen" or "oh god, where's the option for"... I know a lot of people who liked this simplicity on Windows Phone, include me off course.

Sorry man, but you're mistaken here. I have not seen any menu on any phone more confusing and illogical than WP8's Settings menu.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Switched from nexus 4 to Lumia 920 to galaxy s4 and now ativ s..i really miss my 920! Main reason is camera and the turn-by-turn navigation!

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Sorry man, but you're mistaken here. I have not seen any menu on any phone more confusing and illogical than WP8's Settings menu.

I kinda agree..there is almost no categories just settings in text making stuff hard to find . I would love a little mininalistik icon besides the text at least ! That way you can see directly what your looking for without reading

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I finally sold my L820 and got a Galaxy S4 (My first Android Phone)

Feels like night and day.

I mean apps , games , notifications , customization , google apps , shortcut toggles..............etc.
iOS always stays with me in the form of iPad.

I understood the value of iOS and Android only after using WP8.

lumianiem

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
About to go Android. Need some advice

So I have a 900, and now a 920. I am very unhappy with other storage. I used the phone primarily for media consumption while be able to do phone calls. I have 11gb and up on "other Storage" I went into the MS store in downtown SF and was told that this would be solved not by GDR2 but GDR3. I love Nokia and own the pureview 808 but this is getting out of hand. I fear to update apps because I am always out of memory. I have to delete app to get other apps and I am not willing to do a factory reset. My text messages are disappearing and reappearing and it starting to be sluggish. I am a diehard windows person but I have to maybe take a break and go back to Android. What should I do?:crying::straight::unhappy:.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: About to go Android. Need some advice

So I have a 900, and now a 920. I am very unhappy with other storage. I used the phone primarily for media consumption while be able to do phone calls. I have 11gb and up on "other Storage" I went into the MS store in downtown SF and was told that this would be solved not by GDR2 but GDR3. I love Nokia and own the pureview 808 but this is getting out of hand. I fear to update apps because I am always out of memory. I have to delete app to get other apps and I am not willing to do a factory reset. My text messages are disappearing and reappearing and it starting to be sluggish. I am a diehard windows person but I have to maybe take a break and go back to Android. What should I do?:crying::straight::unhappy:.
im feeling and seeing the same issues on my l920 with 8.3gb of other storage and no I will not reset my phone that's a dumb Idea

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the constructive comments guys, the other comments...well they just make me laugh.

I just want the best experience, which I'm getting the best in a lot of features in WP, but not in the most important ones for me.

In relation to the comment about the amount of apps that IOS had at this stage, its surely not about quantity but quality.

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

You would have saved us and your self time with not writing all that and just returned to the iphone 5. Belive me, no one cares.... You are talking about a new OS. Android and iOS both have been working on their OS since 2007. In 5 years, even I can bring a good OS to the table. I had an iphone 4s and lost respect for Apple when they annouced the Iphone 5. They are selling the same phone over and over again. oh Im sorry.. the Ip5 has a 4" screen and is a little bit faster... Make the jump quietly please...

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, just because you don't agree with someone's opinion, doesn't give you the right to be rude to that person..."Make the jump quietly please"... why should he be quiet and not be able to criticize an electrical product...that's right, it is just a mobile phone

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I usually don't comment on "leaving WP and returning to device X" threads, as most are terrible. I thought yours was good. Thanks! I enjoyed the read.

A few comments:

• The situation with mobile IE10 is complicated. Although it is seems natural to blame mobile IE10, reality isn't that simple and clear-cut. If you are interested you may want to read this thread, which also mentions how to get around errors some mobile websites haven't bothered to fix, a.k.a. the "fake user agent trick".
  • Nokia Drive is still beta software. I'm expecting it will take Nokia another two months until they get a half decent version out. Coming to WP8 now means accepting the status of an early adopter. However, you are clearly a "it just has to work" type of person. That is a mismatch that can't be bridged. Either you were two months too early to the party, or Nokia/Microsoft too late.
  • Xbox music is definitely a weak spot. It was rushed. Did you try out Nokia Music (a.k.a. Mix Radio)?
I don't agree with your take on live tiles becoming as boring as a grid of icons. Live tiles aren't just about being new or different. The ability to have all the information you care about slapped right up on your start screen is extremely useful. This adds personality to a device, that a grid of icons can never achieve, no matter how crazy the background wallpaper is.

I'm glad you enjoyed your tour of WP8. As far as I can tell it is exactly the right device for you, but you aren't an early adopter type of person. That is the only issue.

This comment is a good honest reply which isn't rude or offensive...thankyou :)

hallam555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Before I bought the 920, I also came to this forum to find information about the phone. And I found almost everything I wanted to know about it. I knew about the things you dont like before I bought it. Thats why I dont think you have the right to complain. The thing I dont understand is why you didnt? I will stick to, If you did your research, why did you buy the phonein the first place? If you did not, You dont have the right to complain. You can see everywhere on the internet that some apps are having problems. So either you knew about the app problems and just wanted to complain or you didnt knew which also make it your own fault. No matter how you twist and turn it, it's your fault....
Anybody who pays their hard earned money for any service has the right to complain if something in their opinion isn't right. Jolly dog had given an honest unbiased review yet so many people are just lining up to blast him for knocking their treasured OS. These forums would be so good if people gave their honest opinions and then when someone disagrees with that opinion, great...lets hear what that person thinks without the childish comments.

Maybe WP Central could have an adults only section that only allowed adult conversations...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I almost switched today after some frustrations with my Lumia 928 but I realize how chaotic android was and the iPhone is just way too small and the grid of icons are just so boring to look at. And many other things that annoy me.

I'm glad I used common sense and chose to stay with the better os.

wustlmike19

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Thinkin of switching to HTC one, any thoughts?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Thinkin of switching to HTC one, any thoughts?

if you must switch, HTC one is the way to go. If I was switching to android, I would own an HTC one. Good Device...far better than the overhyped galaxy s4 imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2