Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

Sometimes it is good to share one's experiences so here goes:

I was there on launch day and got the very first 920 in my town. Red. The only real problem I had with it was that the camera didn't want to launch, took it back to the AT&T store and the rep there was kind enough to show me how to soft reset. Everything was great until my trip to France where the phone really started wigging out. It kept restarting and freezing. The very day I got off the 10 hour flight and then the train in my town, I marched to the AT&T store with all my bags and had them give me a new one. This one worked flawlessly, at least hardware wise, except for the power button becoming flush to the phone at which point I opened the phone up, dabbed a little super glue to the inside of the button and all was well. The button was now firm.

I started out hopeful and bright eyed. I thought I was on the verge of fanboyism on here and to most of the people that had androids or iOS. That quickly stopped as I realized what was happening but THE OS WAS JUST SO GOOD. I thought the 920 had amazing hardware! How couldn't I be excited?

But I never used the super touch sensitive screen(I live in California so that is a given). I wanted to BELIEVE the camera was good. I kept seeing pictures with rose-tinted glasses until I just couldn't do it anymore. I used ProShot, I used the screen focus method, I used the button focus method. Everything I tried always resulted in multiple pictures with only a couple mediocre pictures. All of those pictures that I was proud of(See the picture thread) hurt my eyes and was out of focus. This was the tipping point. I had the world's leading camera and I wasn't seeing it(even after the latest update). This started my journey toward dissatisfaction.

Software-wise, was another issue. I was one of the ones who shot down new people because they were dissatisfied with the lack of games and apps. I never cared about the games and only really wanted a couple of apps. I still hold to the premise that people rely too much on ridiculous apps like Starbucks and the like but apps like Flipboard, Instagram and Pinterest I loved(I now have them on my Z10). I was a photographer with not a lot of money and I love showing off my photos(unfiltered) for people to see. I was disheartened that these were not on my phone but they weren't deal breakers. I had them on my Nexus 7.

Now for my dissatisfaction on the software front. There are glaring problems with the OS. I cannot share attachments the normal way. I am in an academic setting and if I send a link to someone, they're going to be suspicious. In fact, most of the people that I shared a SkyDrive link with asked me in person if my email was hacked. The second dealbreaker was the lack of even the most basic PDF functions after 6 months. Great, the platform had office but not anything for PDFs? The third was the embarrassment of Skype that found itself onto WP8. It took up until recently for it to not suck but at this point, I was already gone. This was a HUGE oversight for Microsoft. The "Other storage" issue was a problem. I had to keep reformatting to be rid of it. This has been fixed but at the cost of that ****storm of an update that bricked my phone. The next problem was that the live tiles never updated. No, I do not mean instantly as I know about the 15min delay but ever. Most of the so called "live tiles" never flipped to display the dynamic quality that is so alluring about WP8. This included facebook notifications, twitter notifications (Don't even get me started on the ****storm that is the WhatsApp audio codec issue) and software notifications. I use these programs to text people who otherwise have no texting or limited plans. The next issue I had was the import of music. Most of the album artwork never made it to my phone. The next was the lack of SMS notification options on the phone. Seriously, it may seem trivial to most of you but going six months with having only one tone on your phone is annoying and it starts grating on your nerves. It's like a song that they never stop playing on the radio; you may like it at first but then it gets progressively more annoying. I liked one of the tones, the rest was instantly annoying to me. Another issue, although not annoying to me but certainly embarrassing when I wanted to show the phone off, was the Me tile photo resolution. I've gotten blasted more than once in saying that there is no option to increase the resolution. Another issue was the photos tile never stopped showing the same photos over and over again no matter what photos I put in my galleries. I found internet explorer extremely slow no matter if I was on LTE. Lastly, although there is probably more that I am not remembering, is ONE SOUND PROFILE. I listen to music all the time and having to juggle volumes is, for ME, inconvenient and frankly, dissapointing that this phone cannot do it.

Perhaps the biggest blow to me, after showing all that trust being a first adopter, was that Microsoft never seemed and never did anything about ANY of those core OS issues while I was using this phone. This one thing was the nail in the coffin. Actions speaks louder than words. It doesn't take using a competitor's device like Belifiore did, to see the issues that WP8 STILL has after all this time. Issues that SHOULD be solved by this time. SHOULD have been solved in the Portico update. WP8 has ENORMOUS promise yet Microsoft CANNOT or WILL NOT take the platform seriously.

This is my experience, in a thread created for experiences. You can blast me all you want but I tried and tried working with the platform. Doing EVERYTHING to make it work and yet it did not FOR ME. There are some great strengths like Nokia's awesome software support but in the end, it was Microsoft dragging its feet that got to me. I am happy that you are happy with your device and I am finally happy that my Z10 does everything my 920 did(except for exceptional low light and dolby music) and MORE. This post is meant for those on the fence of getting a 920 not for those happy with their 920 because honestly, in my experience, all those that are happy with their devices put down the people who are not. BlackBerry is like Nokia but who is also in control of the OS. It is a first generation OS like WP8 is and there will be some rough points in the journey back but the main difference between BlackBerry and Microsoft is that it is 4 months in and BlackBerry is already blasting away the initial simple bugs. Maybe it is because it has a fire underneath instead of a mountain of money that Microsoft has. I miss Nokia, I do not miss Microsoft. This is my experience.

And a big request: Remember what it was like when WP8 first entered the scene and all the ridiculous "arguments" against the OS from Android and iOS users. Do not be like them in talking about BlackBerry because you will sound just as ridiculous and just as ignorant as they did. Be informed and be respectful towards others.

Last edited:

anon(631408)

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My 2 Months with Lumia 920 Going Back to Android

I really wanted my experience to work with the Lumia 920 but things I can't live without:
1. SMS Alert Sounds - I need some sounds that can be custom. The current available sounds all sound alike.
2. I need a "Do Not Disturb" type of solution. I need Calls and Text messages to come through but the rest of the notifications go silent during certain times.
3.Outlook needs to play better with the Exchange server. If I read an email or delete an email I would like it to do the same on the server. For some reason it is not showing I read the email when I open it on the phone.

These are my deal breakers. I am not getting rid of the Lumia 920 just putting it aside for now. I really think that Microsoft or Nokia will address these issues and I will come back.

If anyone has any fixes or ideas or apps for any of these I am open to listen.

Thanks in advance.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My 2 Months with Lumia 920 Going Back to Android

I don't know of any solution for #1. I really wish there was one. Custom SMS tones are a feature that really should be added and it's been voted pretty high on the future feature want list:

Custom sounds for SMS, MMS, Email, Notifications etc

#2, I'm not aware of anything.

#3 sadly is something that MS should not have so many problems with but does..

anon(631408)

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I was hoping for some good news. I did go and place my votes on the custom sounds but do they really look at it? Or is it just something to make people feel better by thinking it might be added?

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Regarding # 3, my outlook works flawlessly with Exchange. Not sure why you're having issues, but one of the things I love about this phone is the tight integration with MS services. Are you sure your synch settings are correct and not set to manual?

anon(631408)

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Regarding # 3, my outlook works flawlessly with Exchange. Not sure why you're having issues, but one of the things I love about this phone is the tight integration with MS services. Are you sure your synch settings are correct and not set to manual?

Yes, my settings are correct. I get the emails very quick. I can tell when the phone is actually next to my laptop. In most cases the phone alerts me first but when I check the email on the phone it has no reaction to Outlook on my laptop. I even waited a couple of minutes after deleting the email on the phone but nothing and if it does delete it it shows not read in the deleted folder. I know this is minor but it is a little irritating.

thanks for your experiences. I might keep testing this to see where a setting might be wrong but I just can't seem to find it.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I agree with all of your points but not sure that the lack of them will make me switch platforms just yet (Symbian had all the features you mentioned). I'm sure things will improve with future WP8 releases.

Imo, there are far more pressing issues that need to be addresses with WP8.

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Exchange works flawlessly on every wp7 that i have had. the one issue that i had was where the hospital where i worked refused to support windows phone on the exchange server. but they refused android as well. clearly that had to change and it did...and since then my phone works well with that account as well. I would check settings online on exchange...
Would like do not disturb function and a bunch of smaller stuff as well...but android has way more deal breakers for me than that. but then again, everybody has their own set of deal breakers!

swkong626

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Those Switching from a Windows Phone to another device (including Windows Phones), Post Here

After 2 full days of using the HTC One, you don't know how much I wish T-mobile had a 'hero' WP8 device. The HTC One is a really nice phone but Android is so flipping complicated to deal with. I installed a bunch of apps to hopefully distract me from the complexity of the OS but there's no uniformity between apps or any rhyme or reason about how the OS is set up. I now know why some people refer to Android as the wild west. Hopefully T-mo will get a flagship WP8 phone this summer which is when I'll give my wife the One and upgrade.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Exchange is also working fine for me. Not seeing the issues you are.

I really wish I could subscribe to my wife's cloud calendar. Tried through my Google account but there are issues there.then when subscribing to it through outlook.com only events that are all day get added not ones with specific time frames.

Other than that WP8 is great. Missing a few apps but nothing I can't live without.

Sent from my Sony Xperia? Z

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

After trying to make XBOX Music work for the third time from scratch tonight and failing miserably, I turned off my Lumia 920 today and stuck it in my desk drawer. Had mine since release and I just can't wait any longer for Microsoft to fix the issues many of us have been having. Sure, its getting better, slowly, but I am tired of being told that fixes are coming and yet the problems persist. With the uproar that XBOX Music caused, you would think it would be fixed after 6 months. Nope, still not fixed. Unless I just trash all my music and get a XBOX Music Pass (which i think was the intent all along) nothing seems to sync or work properly so I'm done until its fixed.

I loved so much about the windows phone and really gave it my best to make it work for me. I still think all the pieces for an awesome ecosystem are there, but they need so much work to make it happen. Hopefully these issues will resolve themselves and I can pull my phone back out of the desk drawer and use it like it should.

Once again thank you all for helping me with the issues I had.

Martog

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Back in December I was at the Verizon store and look a long hard look at the Windows Phone (I had upgraded to a iPhone 5 earlier in the year) and decided to get the 822. Within two months I had re-active my iPhone 5. The battery life while better than at first, was still not great (haven't tried with Portico, deactivated before it came out), plus the whole if I started to type a SMS and flipped to something to check it and flip back, all my typing was gone, and some other quirks. I cannot have a love/hate relationship with a phone, it just has to work for me.

So 928 comes out and swung by the VZW Corporate store and to look at it, and decided to give this phone a go. The difference for me between the 928 and 822 is almost night and day, from batter life (again might be a heck lot better now with portico installed), the screen to me looks so much better now, and the camera is so much better (I do take some pictures and the iPhone 5 camera sure did hit the 822's pretty hard especially with speed). Now I did buy the ProShoot (heck $25 gift card for the store why not). So far the 928 is working out so much better than the 822 did for me (which I need to reset and toss up on eBay).

I'll have to play around with the Nokia Music (And WP one as well) to see if I like it any better, but if not I'll just keep my iPhone 5 as glorified iPod Touch as I just really love how seemless iPhone's sync up to PC's (Microsoft, you really need to overhaul the desktop sync app..)

I might have 181 apps on my iPhone...but I rarely use most of them and I can continue to play any games I already purchased (just a few) so no big loss honestly on the app side. I never used instagram so that never was an issue. :) Just hoping the FB beta app gets a bit more polish than what it was now (leaps better than the old one).

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Long-time WP user....*extremely* disappointed with WP8, Lumia 920, etc.

Some background: I'm a longtime Windows/Microsoft ******. Yeah, it's sad-to-say, but it's true. I loved the Zune, I (mostly) enjoyed Windows Mobile, and I was an early adopter of Windows Phone -- including my initial LG Optimus 7 phone, which my daughter now uses. I also work as an IT Director focusing mainly around Microsoft solutions. In other words, I want Microsoft to succeed, and I have a vested interest in seeing them do so. Put simply: they help "pay the bills" for me :)

Fast forward a bit.

After the LG Optimus 7, I jumped to the "flagship" Lumia 900, which had nearly *zero* issues for me. Less than 9 months later, we were informed that the Lumia 900 would not be upgraded to WP8, which (in my opinion) was a disappointing move for both Nokia and Microsoft, even if the technological reasons made sense (and they do). Brushing that off as best I could, I upgraded to the new flagship Lumia 920 phone this past December (2012). Although my first month or so seemed like things were going well, it quickly degraded after that. I've had the "distored earpiece issue" that others have had, the "pixels up the middle of the screen" issue, and all three of my phones have had the "battery drain" problem, which I've documented VERY well here:

My co-worker (upon my recommendation) also grabbed the Lumia 920, which he's swapped twice, and his current phone is still having the "battery drain" issues. He and I have owned five Lumia 920 phones between us! Meanwhile, my neighbors both waited patiently for their AT&T contract to allow for an upgrade, each grabbed the Lumia 920 a few weeks ago, and at least one of them has had both freezes and the battery drain problems regularly. I feel VERY badly for them.

While trying to figure out my own phone issues (and whether the battery drain was a WP8 problem or specific to the Lumia 920), I've also tested the Lumia 820 and the Lumia 720. Both are decent phones, but suffer dramatically if you opt to use a microSD card for additional storage (as most folks will want to do). Also, the 720 inexplicably suffered from a major scratch on the screen, which is the first I've ever had. Regardless of the phone, though, NONE of my WP8 handsets have been "stable". I figured out that I was rebooting every few days at least, most of it due to the "battery drain" issues, but not always.

And those are just the hardware issues.

It dawned on me that "fragmentation" is another frustration of mine with WP. Android gets dinged for this, but over the course of 2 years Microsoft managed to "fragment" the Windows Phone ecosystem in some drastic ways -- and it's only slowly getting better, if at all. In my home, I've been using a Lumia 920, my wife has the Lumia 900, my son has the Samsung Focus, and my daughter has the LG Optimus 7. Between those four phones, I can recommend only *some* apps or games, since they won't necessarily work on all four. I can use almost ANY app or game on my phone, though there are some not-yet-ported-to-WP8 titles, which is super-aggravating. My wife and I can usually both use any Nokia-specific apps, but my son and daughter can't. Both the LG and Samsung phones have a few manufacturer-specific apps that Nokia can't get, and finally the lower-end Lumia 620 and 720 can't run a few of the higher-end apps/games that require 1GB of memory. There are only a few, but it's frustrating...and Microsoft shouldn't be fragmented so early in the WP cycle.

I don't want to come down too hard on WP8, but there are so many things that need fixing. The Xbox Music "cloud collection" is an utter mess. MicroSD support is unbelievably shady, including auto-duplicated songs and photos (wow!). The built-in calendar sucks. You can't choose custom tones for text messages, etc.. No separate volume for media items. Blah-blah. The list goes on and on. Some folks don't care, but many others do. I've stood behind Microsoft for 2 1/2 years with Windows Phone, and they've consistently under-delivered (in my opinion). I could deal with hardware issues *OR* software issues, but both is just too much for me.

So....I've given up for now.

I have absolutely HATED Android for a few years now (ask my friends...I owned three different Android phones previous to WP), but we had a Nexus 4 phone sitting in my desk drawer at work. Reluctantly, I moved my sim card and decided to use it while I figure things out. You know what? The 4.2.2 version of Android is actually really great! This phone is fast, not laggy, stable, and really "just works". I'm heavily considering keeping this phone OR grabbing the HTC One. I don't know. I also like the look of the Lumia 925 and 928, but I really, really have my doubts overall.

I don't know if I've ever met a bigger "Windows Phone ******" than me -- you'd have to ask my friends & family -- but my WP8 experience has been truly horrible. It's partially a Microsoft issue -- there are a lot of pieces they need to fix -- but the quality control from Nokia also really sucks.

I just needed to get this out there.

Sincerely,

A Disappointed WP User

Last edited by a moderator:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Long-time WP user....*extremely* disappointed with WP8, Lumia 920, etc.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems with your 920. I've not researched that phone and so do not know the details of it. However while I do agree that WP8 needs some work on various issues, like having custom message tones and individual volume controls for different features; I have found very little issue with stability or the need to reboot frequently. I had an 810 and it has worked quite well. I had a microSD card and had no issues with it.

So while I have heard of some of the issues you mention, my overall experience with WP8 is much more positive than yours.....

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site

I can understand your frustrations, I'm on my first 920 and have had some battery issues early on, but they went away over time as the updates to the OS/firmware as well as app updates I believe slowly alleviated the issues. I haven't seen the problem in quite some time now and my battery life is excellent. It still warms up when under use by certain apps (certain games most notably), but I think that is normal for the most part.

BTW as for Android not being laggy, use it for a few weeks or month or so after getting all your apps and such on there, and see if it stays that way. That seems to be the issue, it rapidly grows sluggish over time using it in general.

Either way, good luck to you and hope you give WP another chance at some point if you do enjoy it, I know it has some work to do to meet more people's needs, but for me it does a great job overall.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

i'm also a bit disappointed so far. I'm using a Lumia 920 as my *only* phone and i'm suffering the battery drain, over heating, and random reboot problem. The most painful thing is i bought this phone because i love it so much that i bought it without warranty ( when the phone launch we only get no warranty phone first). i still love the phone but i feel like i could spend this money on a better device. My friend owns a Galaxy S3 for a year and still running smoothly with lots of game and media. WP is always the prettiest platform but if it keep letting consumer like this i worry it's only the matter of time WP will become thing of the past with new comer approaching( Tizen, Ubuntu, Sailfish, Firefox).

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Likewise, Lumia 920 Dev edition now using N4 as primary. My issues weren't with the hardware/software, but the OS was just too limited. Live Tiles: Nice but not interactive - I can turn off wifi, BT, GPS, sync and screen brightness with one tap on my Power Control widget, no such thing available with WP8. Likewise Gmail, SMS, Calendar widgets.

I love my N4 so far :) stable, fast and no lag despite many many apps installed and running. Never felt the need for a task killer - looks like they finally got their memory management together.

I'd advise you to stick to an N4! Samsung and HTC have nowhere near the software capabilities of Google and the TouchWiz/Sense skins are what make your phone lag. Plus you're guaranteed the latest and greatest directly from Google for the next year at least. And the N4 is cheap enough that I can afford to upgrade to the next Nexus this year.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

N4 is great and all - and then you try to use it for work with Office 365.
and everything falls apart.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

N4 is great and all - and then you try to use it for work with Office 365.
and everything falls apart.

Honestly, I don't know about that. We use Exchange 2010 at work (it's fine with this phone), and I use Outlook.com for my personal email. No issues. I prefer the WP email client, to be honest, but the Android version is ok.

I don't want to turn this into a "WP vs Android" thread. These are my observations, and (honestly) it bums me out a lot. I've invested a fair amount of money into both the hardware and app ecosystem of Windows Phone. Now I'm wrestling with kissing that all goodbye so that I can have a phone that gets me through an entire day (battery life), doesn't require reboots every other day, and lets me stream my entire music collection.

This is just one thread amongst MANY, but I sincerely hope that Microsoft is listening. When long-time WP users are defecting for <*gasp!*> Android, something is truly wrong.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Sad to hear about your issues. I've been lucky to have my 920 work flawlessly and totally loving it after some 6-7 months. That said, I'm a fan of aluminium phones, so the new Lumias look fancy too, but I won't upgrade just for that. I stick with my phone as my only phone for usually around 2 years, then upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon