Totally offline GPS navigation apps suggestions?

IkeVeles

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried using HERE Drive/Maps and they DO have the option for downloading maps for offline use but they DON'T have the option for live GPS tracking and turn-by-turn instructions. That option requires Internet.

I need an app that would totally work offline, with the option for downloading maps and the option for getting live GPS tracking and turn-by-turn instructions offline.

Preferably free..

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Good luck with the "free" part.

I've used many, always seem to come back to ALK's Copilot. It's far from perfect, but the mapping's OK and it has the other features you want.

alphablue597

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have both here drive and sygic navigation full verzion. If you want paid app,I would recommend sygic or copilot. Here drive works without internet connection if you download the map for offline use. Maybe traffic info doesn't work, but navigation works!

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I tried using HERE Drive/Maps and they DO have the option for downloading maps for offline use but they DON'T have the option for live GPS tracking and turn-by-turn instructions. That option requires Internet.

I need an app that would totally work offline, with the option for downloading maps and the option for getting live GPS tracking and turn-by-turn instructions offline.

Preferably free..
Here Drive+ has turn by turn voice navigation
and works offline
the one below works for me but you have to find the route online then
you can use it offline for navigation
they have a free version also
https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/...vigation/a85f55d7-1026-499c-a4fb-f561ba6f0971

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I also keep coming back to CoPilot. Has worked consistently for me for several years. The settings can be a bit overwhelming though. 2 things -1. if you want live traffic you have to use internet but turn by turn is offline. 2. I really believe you won't find a good GPS app without paying for it. If you require a good mapping app frequently, though, it is money well spent.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Preferably free..
I use Here Drive/Maps, and the live GPS tracking and turn-by-turn instructions work just fine with the data (internet) turned off. I'm not sure what your issue is exactly with it, or what phone you are using that makes it require internet for those functions.

Traffic updates do not work in Here Drive without Internet, but that is the only functionality that is missing for me without internet. I generally don't care about the traffic anyway.

I know this is the case, because we had a spare Lumia 520 where we downloaded the maps. A SIM was never activated for this phone, and it never had cellular data service. We used Wi-Fi to get the maps, then turned Wi-Fi off. My wife uses it as her GPS for turn-by-turn and as an MP3 player. For the $20 we paid for it, it serves that purpose quite well.

Perhaps there is some function of live GPS tracking or turn-by-turn instructions that you are talking about and I just don't understand fully what you are asking for?

IkeVeles

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I use Here Drive/Maps, and the live GPS tracking and turn-by-turn instructions work just fine with the data (internet) turned off. I'm not sure what your issue is exactly with it, or what phone you are using that makes it require internet for those functions.

Traffic updates do not work in Here Drive without Internet, but that is the only functionality that is missing for me without internet. I generally don't care about the traffic anyway.

I know this is the case, because we had a spare Lumia 520 where we downloaded the maps. A SIM was never activated for this phone, and it never had cellular data service. We used Wi-Fi to get the maps, then turned Wi-Fi off. My wife uses it as her GPS for turn-by-turn and as an MP3 player. For the $20 we paid for it, it serves that purpose quite well.

Perhaps there is some function of live GPS tracking or turn-by-turn instructions that you are talking about and I just don't understand fully what you are asking for?

It seems like this is a issue that only I have. I don't even care about traffic updates, but when I have cellular data turned off, I can't get turn by turn navigation in HERE Drive+ (the free app). I have Lumia 535.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I have GPS turned ON the whole time of course.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
That is generally an issue with Here Drive+ not recognizing maps downloaded on your phone, or you not having the appropriate map downloaded to your phone. You may try deleting the downloaded map and redownloading.

IkeVeles

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Just a small update: I just found out my Lumia 535 has A-GPS. So that means I can't use the GPS without any internet. So I wont ever get totally offline GPS navigation on my Lumia 535, but HERE Drive+ and most other apps are totally free and offline I guess, if you download the maps.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a small update: I just found out my Lumia 535 has A-GPS. So that means I can't use the GPS without any internet. So I wont ever get totally offline GPS navigation on my Lumia 535, but HERE Drive+ and most other apps are totally free and offline I guess, if you download the maps.

A-GPS doesn't mean that I don't think. I'm pretty sure it just means it can be assisted by having a cellular connection resulting in a faster fix.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
A-GPS can assist S-GPS (Standalone-GPS) to get a faster fix. However, without a version of S-GPS, you won't be able to get your position without an internet connection.

The Lumia 535 also has GLONASS for global positioning, which is a satellite based system set up by Russia. GLONASS has comparable precision with GPS and is a GPS alternative. Therefore, the GLONASS acts as your S-GPS to complete your system. You should be able to do off-line positioning without the data connection on the 535 without an issue. The A-GPS is there to help when you're getting a week or corrupted GLONASS signal, or to assist you in getting a faster initial fix on your location.

In order for you to work off-line, however, you will be required to download the maps. No way around that part.

IkeVeles

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your replies, that explains a lot.
I gave my phone to customer service for the touch issues anyway. When I get it back I'll do some more research and testing.

Thank you again for your answers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk