Email regarding Facebook Connect

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I just got an email saying Facebook Connect is no longer going to be available. So...can anyone say what this is going to mean to Facebook users with Windows phones (8.1)? In plain English?
Thanks!
Jennifer

Gaurav Tyagi

May 29, 2014
Visit site
1. You won't get reminder about birthdays from facebook.
2. You will be not be able to get reminder about events.
3. People app will not show updates from your friends.
4. People app will not show extra details or we can say that it will not sync with fb. No pics of your friend, no numbers which they have on fb.
5. You can not chat with your fb friends from outlook.com
6. I only know these points but there are many.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
1. You won't get reminder about birthdays from facebook.
2. You will be not be able to get reminder about events.
3. People app will not show updates from your friends.
4. People app will not show extra details or we can say that it will not sync with fb. No pics of your friend, no numbers which they have on fb.
5. You can not chat with your fb friends from outlook.com
6. I only know these points but there are many.

Which part of the document about the changes says you will lose these item on WP8.1? (except 5 which is not a WP issue)

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
there can't be many nails left to hammer into the windows phone coffin now
Tell me about it! What happend to this " social extendibility" that Rubino was talking about when we lost facebook integration during wp8.1? Facebook app for windows is horrible.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This only applies to Windows 8, 8.1, WP 7 and 8. It's basically the Facebook connection to your Microsoft Account. The People app, and other fb web-based Microsoft services like fb chat on Outlook and Calendar use this connection. It's quite old since it's been there since WP7. The major downfall with this method is that everything on your fb feed and activity goes through Microsoft servers, so if MS servers fail or goes on maintenance you won't be able to get your feed, so fb on your devices goes kaput.

Unlike on WP 8.1, the feed come from the app themselves, which is a smart move actually. So if you remove facebook on your WP 8.1, you'll totally get rid of facebook on your phone, except that annoying facebook icon on the people hub tile. Twitter and LinkedIn already do this on WP 8.1, unfortunately can't say the same on the desktop (8.1) variant.

To be fair it was really nice to have that fb/Hotmail chat integration in the Messaging hub in WP7. Really just waiting for this kind to happen with 8.1 or 10.

Gaurav Tyagi

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks but that link doesn't say anything about WP8.1 losing any features

Phone wise its only WP 7 & 8
Facebook is taking their API back, so windows phone 7,8,8.1 and windows 8,8.1 all are affected. Microsoft will be not able to fetch information from facebook because API will not be available anymore.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Facebook is taking their API back, so windows phone 7,8,8.1 and windows 8,8.1 all are affected. Microsoft will be not able to fetch information from facebook because API will not be available anymore.

WP8.1 does not use this API, it uses the FB app to get this information (this is why WP8.1 is not mentioned as being affected)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't mention anything about windows 10 I wonder if that is going to be ok?

I fervently hope and pray that Windows 10 will address the Facebook issue. The forced, mandatory Facebook integration needs to be banished once and for all.

If you want it and volunteer to hook Facebook into every aspect of your phone, great. But for those of us who delete facebook first thing after every set up; why do we have to see the Facebook logo winking at us from our People Live Tile? I have never been able to use the People hub effectively because I have to keep it smallest size. Yes - have to. I refuse to have a Facebook logo on my start screen.

Bunch of lousy data pirates and unrepentant social manipulators. I would love for Windows 10 to give up this nonsense that Facebook is a core feature of the OS. Without Facebook my phone functions just fine. Remove it entirely and many will not miss it one jot...

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
People need to learn how to read. WP 8.1 is not mentioned in that Microsoft article/email. Are affected Windows 8.0 and 8.1, Windows Phone 7 and 8.0

NOT 8.1

Proof is: it still works and as said above, it's thanks to the third party integration (versus OS integration) introduced with WP8.1 (and only WP8.1).

I suspect W10 will have the same approach so Facebook connect will keep on working on W10/W(P)10, for those who want FB connected to their people hub/calendar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon