How long can i last? Need new phone soon, l920 is on its last legs

dwarfsize

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I'm coming to a hard decision here. My L920 is starting to get really annoying. The usb port has always had something wrong with it, meaning cords don't plug in all the way and slip out easily, so charging is a hassle, it is starting to get slow, crashes apps all the time, and freezes/random resets on a fairly consistent basis.

Here's what I know: I REALLY want the new flagships coming out - most likely talkman (950), not cityman, since I think it'll be too big for me. But I don't know how long I can last with this faltering L920. I got it right when it first came out, so basically it's pretty old. It's been good to me, I've loved it, but it's time for new. I need some encouragement/ reasons to wait for the flagships before I pull the trigger on a L830 or something along that line. I DO have it on the windows 10 preview, so maybe I could go back to 8.1... though I'd rather not factory reset my phone AGAIN.

Any other people hanging onto their original Lumia 920 or similarly old Windows Phone, and are just waiting with baited breath for the new phones to be released?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the fact you're on unfinished 10 explains all your software problems. (hard resetting 10 makes for the best experience, but id wait a few days in case a new build appears, which is rumored - I tried the preview before multiple times on my 920, 635, 830 and i went back each time after a couple days. Builds 10149, 10166)

Maybe you can try wireless charging to compensate for the port.

I'm sitting on a 920 for now because I just swapped out the battery and its otherwise a fine phone, but its a year younger. It's reasonably speedy, camera is still quite good, I'd only upgrade to the 830 for SensorCore and the much improved replaceable battery but I couldn't justify it for myself. (I'm peddling an 830 in the marketplace right now) I thought Id just sit on my serviceable 920 for the time being. But then again its not suffering from the problems you face for now.

dwarfsize

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmm well I'll take your advice on waiting for a new build of Win10 Mobile. I had really good luck with Build 10149, but once it updated to 10166 I got all of the issues you read above. I keep getting the ...resuming... on the start screen that just repeats endlessly, which is the most annoying part of the build. I found a "workaround" if I open search using the button, then close it, open it, close it, open, close... until the start screen FINALLY appears.

I would love to use wireless charging, but I just find the chargers too expensive to make sense to buy. At least that will be until my cord just doesn't charge it anymore haha. My camera seems to have taken a dive in quality ever since I dropped it once.. It wasn't a far fall, only a few bumps on the polycarbonate, but I think it jostled the camera just enough that the pictures it takes just aren't as good as they once were.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely recommend wireless charging and if you're in the UK Clove Technology have some great deals on genuine Nokia chargers. I've just bought another one to go beside my bed along with a green flip case for my 930. Avoid the DT-601 though, it's too small.

I don't think the Technical Preview of Windows Mobile is ready for use as a daily driver (I'm running it on a 920 myself), so roll back to 8.1 and relaxxxxx. :)

PS: Anyone wanting a charging shell for a Lumia 925 or 820, Clove have them for ?4.80.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well it is all about rumors. cityman, talkman, next build, final release of Win10 etc. it is all about rumors. There is nothing official to help you with your decision.
Fact is, like xandros9 said, the current build is not suitable as a daily driver. Another fact is that cityman and talkman will come with Win10 mobile. And judging by the current status of the most recent build a release is not at all "just around the corner". Even with the release of the new devices it will take also time for them to show up in stores according to where you live.
Nobody can tell you for how long you have to wait to be able to get one of these devices but for sure not within the next few months. And if yours is partially broken already I would make a decision for a new device now.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't posted it yet but I will be selling an unlocked 1020 (yellow) if you're interested in something to hold you over. PM me for more details.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon