Lumia 640XL or ?

mwp10

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I am using a Lumia 435 at moment and installed the windows 10 phone latest build on it few days ago. I really like the windows 10 phone but I think this set is not very powerful to handle it at moment. I am thinking to get the Lumia 640XL or 540 with a 64GB SD CARD (Class-10). or would you experienced wp users would recommend some other lumia handset?

Lumia 540 and 640, is it clearly visible during sun light ? like when one is out and about ? as my lumia 435 dual-sim screen is simply blank / not viewable when I am out.

Also, I heard that with 640XL one gets a 1TB of Onedrive and free office 365 for a year? is this offer still available ?

Will be grateful for your suggestions and guidance - thanks
Kind regards
MWP10

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I can only say there is a big difference between Windows 10 on L640 and L920. It's noticeably faster on L640. It's not perfect, needs more optimization, but it runs much better on newer Lumia phones.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I can only say that I'm really impressed with the 640 XL. It's a cheap phone (200€) and almost high end. At this moment, probably what I'd recommend to everyone. And I'm sure it'll handle Win10 like a charm.
640 is not so great though. It's basicly 730 with a worse camera.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a chance to test a 640 XL at my local AT&T store. I have to admit I was blown away at how solid and smooth it runs. I took some test shots with both front and rear cameras and they did a great job, even in the dark corner of the store I was in. I'm up for an upgrade, and now I'm torn between the 640 XL or awaiting the Cityman or Talkman.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm torn between the 640 XL or awaiting the Cityman or Talkman
Well...the 640 XL isn't a flagship, so it can't compare to it. If you want a true flagship with continuum, an OP CPU, camera and the cool stuff, you should wait for the 950 (XL), however if you don't have the urge to live on the edge, the 640 XL will do just fine. My personal oppinion is that 950 (XL) don't actually bring anything new (continuum is plain useless for me), and there's no use in waiting for it. Maybe the next-next flagship will actually be a decent upgrade, so I'll hold for that.
I'm not saying it's going to be a bad phone, it's almost the bleeding edge of tech right now, and it's like a spaceship if you're upgrading from a 520 for example, it's just not what I consider an upgrade.

mwp10

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank You everyone for your suggestions and guidance - really appreciate.

I went ahead and purchased a Lumia 640XL (I am not sure whether this is the LTE version or not - How can I check that?)
It came pre-installed with Windows Phone 8.1 update 2.

Q: How would I fire up the camera to start taking pictures?
Q: How can I check if this is a LTE phone?
Q: I was previously using Lumia 435 - I am going to use the same Microsoft / Outlook account i was using on it - it gave me an option to restore my backup - I have selected YES. I think this was the right thing to do and i will have my sms / photos downloaded to the new one this way - easily? while I can still use my 435 side by side :)

will update here with my experiences / thoughts and will look forward to any further suggestions / guidance you may have - thanks
Kind regards

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Exact model is printed on your phone package.

microsoft-lumia-640-unboxing-007.png

There is no camera button on this model so use Camera app tile instead to open it.

It's OK to restore backup which may contain your messages, settings, photos etc... depending on what you selected to backup on your old phone.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Q: How would I fire up the camera to start taking pictures?
Eather the camera app tile, or the tile in the action center.
Q: How can I check if this is a LTE phone?
It's on the box, maybe even in 'About'
Q: I was previously using Lumia 435 - I am going to use the same Microsoft / Outlook account i was using on it - it gave me an option to restore my backup - I have selected YES. I think this was the right thing to do and i will have my sms / photos downloaded to the new one this way - easily?
To do a full restore, you first must create a backup on your old phone. Go to backup and select everything you want to keep, then hard reset your new phone, and it will give you an option to load from the backup (if you're using the same microsoft account).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softradix