If You Have To Leave Windows Phone, Which One Provides Best "Microsoft" Experience?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
With Verizon showing no interest in new, Flagship Windows Phones and the chances of their unlocked 950xl not working on their system, I am facing either going iPhone or Android as I do need a refreshed battery for my ICON and Windows 10 mobile is just do disappointing on my ICON (battery drain is killer.)

So, if I had to upgrade (company owner teased but also gave me permission for me to get a new iPhone6s+ 128GB), which phone offers the best "Microsoft Experience?" For now, I assume, Cortana is still no yet available for either OS and that I WILL miss. We do have a spare iPhone laying around at work and I loaded it up with Outlook, Office Apps, OneDrive, OneNote, Groove Music, Sway, Microsoft Garage apps and other apps/experiences I have with Windows Phone. It isn't too bad...and the geeky side of me liked that Outlook on iOS uses the "Windows 10 notifications sounds"...nice.

I kind of like the Note5 due to the camera and the stylus for OneNote. But don't miss the quirk and eventual slowdowns with Androids.

And speaking of Camera...it is hard to let go of my ICON due to the camera. Which is better? iPhone6s or Note 5? I've heard good about both.

I really hate posting this but I am facing an upgrade with no options on Verizon for a newer Flagship Windows Phones...so looking for objective opinions here.

Thanks...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're not going Windows phone you have two choices:

- Spend a lot on an iPhone or
- Spend any amount on an Android device and be subject to all the security exploits

There is a reason people like the iPhone - consistent quality, performance, consistent camera, lots of apps.

I've already written Android off but some have better cameras these days. I think the latest iPhone rated about #10 in phone cameras.

From a Microsoft perspective... Android will probably be more complete in the OS is open and they can integrate deeper. You can get Cortana today along with the other main apps.

Only you can decide though! Go to a store and play. Or wait 6 months and see what happens on the Verizon/Windows Phone front. For all you know the new Acer may come to Verizon and that looks almost identical to the 950...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would go with the iPhone. Android seems to vary between devices, and personally, I don't know if I would want to do the work to see which ones can provide the best experience for me. You could be different from me though, but I guess if Android, you would have to see what will provide the best experience and of course what is available on Verizon.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If you're not going Windows phone you have two choices:

- Spend a lot on an iPhone or
- Spend any amount on an Android device and be subject to all the security exploits

There is a reason people like the iPhone - consistent quality, performance, consistent camera, lots of apps.

I've already written Android off but some have better cameras these days. I think the latest iPhone rated about #10 in phone cameras.

From a Microsoft perspective... Android will probably be more complete in the OS is open and they can integrate deeper. You can get Cortana today along with the other main apps.

Only you can decide though! Go to a store and play. Or wait 6 months and see what happens on the Verizon/Windows Phone front. For all you know the new Acer may come to Verizon and that looks almost identical to the 950...

Wow...a #10 on the camera for the 6s...the early reviews were just praising it...but guessing they've never used an ICON. :)

I didn't know Cortana was officially out for Android. Guess I could side load it...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Interesting... I just now decided to see how many Microsoft apps are on Google Play. I used Microsoft as the search term, and the result was that the apps developed by Microsoft were listed first.

I counted them. There are 76 official Microsoft apps in the Play Store. SEVENTY-SIX! I'm not even sure Google has that many. Microsoft is a very prolific developer!

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting... I just now decided to see how many Microsoft apps are on Google Play. I used Microsoft as the search term, and the result was that the apps developed by Microsoft were listed first.

I counted them. There are 76 official Microsoft apps in the Play Store. SEVENTY-SIX! I'm not even sure Google has that many. Microsoft is a very prolific developer!

And about as many in the iOS App Store...seems to be a lot more "Garage" apps for sure...I think only ONE garage app shows up on Windows Phone store...

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I would have to agree with the above.

You really can't go wrong with either, but if security is an issue I believe you'll have less issue with the iPhone. Their walled garden approach lets very few nasty things through (but it has happened, even recently - although it was in China).

The Microsoft Apps on both Android and iOS are already better than the ones on Windows Phone, which is ironic, and sad :cry: So both would be an upgrade in that department. With Google you have more control over the file system and such out of the box, but if you don't care about that and just want something that works (and well) you can't go wrong with an iPhone, especially a 6S Plus. I have a few Androids, a Fire Phone I only paid $109.77 for including Prime :winktongue: (which I use as an Android Phone) and also an iPhone 6 Plus (not the S) and I use them all, but my most used Phone is the iPhone 6 Plus. Followed by my Fire Phone (Android), and then my Lumia 640.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I would have to agree with the above.

You really can't go wrong with either, but if security is an issue I believe you'll have less issue with the iPhone. Their walled garden approach lets very few nasty things through (but it has happened, even recently - although it was in China).

The Microsoft Apps on both Android and iOS are already better than the ones on Windows Phone, which is ironic, and sad :cry: So both would be an upgrade in that department. With Google you have more control over the file system and such out of the box, but if you don't care about that and just want something that works (and well) you can't go wrong with an iPhone, especially a 6S Plus. I have a few Androids, a Fire Phone I only paid $109.77 for including Prime :winktongue: (which I use as an Android Phone) and also an iPhone 6 Plus (not the S) and I use them all, but my most used Phone is the iPhone 6 Plus. Followed by my Fire Phone (Android), and then my Lumia 640.

All three platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. One thing that intrigues me about the Note 5 is the stylus option with OneNote. I use it a lot on my Surface Pro 3 but I don't always carry it. I can also take notes on my Venue 8 Pro but it is not convenient to carry with me. And since no Surface Phone yet, the Note 5 is about as close as I can get. Plus, I can use Cortana...and curious how well it works...really use it mostly for reminders and yes, I do use the option like "Remind me to do this or that when I get home" so it alerts me when I get home...not sure if Cortana on Android is that good yet...

Still, it will be so hard to pry my Lumia from my hand and as mentioned, if Verizon some how got the 950 series, I'd most likely not be having this conversation... :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All three platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. One thing that intrigues me about the Note 5 is the stylus option with OneNote. I use it a lot on my Surface Pro 3 but I don't always carry it. I can also take notes on my Venue 8 Pro but it is not convenient to carry with me. And since no Surface Phone yet, the Note 5 is about as close as I can get. Plus, I can use Cortana...and curious how well it works...really use it mostly for reminders and yes, I do use the option like "Remind me to do this or that when I get home" so it alerts me when I get home...not sure if Cortana on Android is that good yet...

Still, it will be so hard to pry my Lumia from my hand and as mentioned, if Verizon some how got the 950 series, I'd most likely not be having this conversation... :)
Switch to att 😁

I'd choose iPhone over android if I had to choose the two hut they still don't offer the full cohesive experience like windows 10 does.

Besides the official windows 10 may be less chaotic on your battery life and other OEMSksu release phones for windows.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Switch to att ��

I'd choose iPhone over android if I had to choose the two hut they still don't offer the full cohesive experience like windows 10 does.

Besides the official windows 10 may be less chaotic on your battery life and other OEMSksu release phones for windows.

Yeah, if Windows 10 on the ICON runs fine and better battery life, I'd be fine with it for some time...I do have a spare, in box Lumia ICON that I'd put the official release on when it comes out...IF I am not tempted to upgrade as mentioned in this thread...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am "test driving" a Note 5...loaded my Microsoft Ecosystem on it...early thoughts...

XBOX/Groove Music never shows artist via Bluetooth on system screen in the car. Just shows UNKNOWN.
No voice to text option via Bluetooth…Cortana Spoiled Me.
Cortana Works fairly well. The aforementioned voice to text via Bluetooth doesn't work. It does let me set reminders and reminds me via GPS if that was an option.
Handwriting with OneNote works and is nice.
Outlook and our Exchange Online emails/contacts/calendars all sync well.
No Skype For Business yet but Lync 2013 will do for now.
Spiceworks App! Wooo!

What I've missed so far from Windows Phone in the last few hours...elegance and live tiles. I was already tempted to go back now but will give it a try through the weekend.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No voice to text option via Bluetooth…Cortana Spoiled Me.

That option is in Android, but you would need to use Google Now. It's pretty much the same as Cortana on Windows Phone. Cortana on Android probably doesn't do it (I haven't tried).

Edit: since you have a Samsung, you also have S-voice. That might have the voice to text function as well.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
That option is in Android, but you would need to use Google Now. It's pretty much the same as Cortana on Windows Phone. Cortana on Android probably doesn't do it (I haven't tried).

Edit: since you have a Samsung, you also have S-voice. That might have the voice to text function as well.

I'll check it out...

By the way, I was able to map Cortana to be the "default" assistant when holding down on the home button...will see how it goes...I am sure I'll return to my Lumia by Monday but can at least give an objective report on the Microsoft Ecosystem on Android.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Just a reminder I know you mentioned wanting Cortana on Android (which you can get), however both iOS and Android have their own voice assistants. I rarely use Ok Google, but Siri on iOS is actually quite good and she is built right into the OS just like Cortanna.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I used the Note for half the weekend...going back to my ICON to see if I miss anything from the Note 5. A few additional observations:

* The stylus is nice to have but didn't use it beyond testing it in OneNote.
* Android still feels "messy" to me.
* I took a few videos, in landscape mode but for some reason, they recorded sideways, resulting not only side ways video but the vertical black bars...I think it may be that I pressed the video button (which doesn't change to video mode but instantly starts a video) and didn't have the phone steady enough in landscape mode.
* Why do I love the Feedly app so much? With all respect to NextGen Reader, it is just cleaner.
* Do I dare say the Android Windows Mobile Central app FEELS a bit more functional?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
*went back to the Note 5 within hours of firing up the ICON. Wanted to do some more testing.

I do have to come back to the "ain't about the apps" argument. Random thoughts on apps and functions:

Facebook Messenger has pretty neat notifications with the circle of the person. You can either click on them to respond or drag to bottom to close. Very neat.

We are more than likely going to sign a contract at work on Toshiba Copiers with a DocuWare solution and I really am going to need the apps.

The Aforementioned Spiceworks app. So convenient.

School - ClassDojo and EZSchool Pay apps are very nice.

I can easily follow and manage my Yahoo! Fantasy Football now!

The YouVersion App is so much more realized (like many Windows Phone apps, they are one and done and abandoned.)

Other Positives:

This Note 5 is a beast in performance.

SideSync is pretty nice. Reminds me of a similar app I had back in the Windows Mobile 6.5 days.

The Camera is fantastic. Never thought something could beat my Icon.

Quirks:

Android Still seems Messy to Me.

Groove Music is hit and miss and the aforementioned UNKNOWN Artist and Album Information.

Do I dare say having more apps and notifications = more distractions, even if I tune down a lot of notifications.

For all of its advantages, it is so hard to leave the ICON behind but is now kind of hard to go back to it. Seems slower (with latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider) and left behind.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This Note 5 is a beast in performance.

For all of its advantages, it is so hard to leave the ICON behind but is now kind of hard to go back to it. Seems slower (with latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider) and left behind.

To be fair, on the performance front you have to compare the Note 5 to a the 950XL as the Icon is older generation now.

And we know Android will always win on the App front. Until potentially, Astoria arrives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon