Microsoft won't let you use the new Outlook app for Windows unless you have installed Edge on your PC

RabidPedagog

Sep 19, 2023
Visit site
Considering how the new Outlook app is little more than a link to the web site, there is no reason to require Edge. Other browsers can turn pages into apps just as effectively.

Reactions: Cosmocronos

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I actually don't have a problem with this -- if MS wishes to build some functionality into Edge as the browser that ships with Windows, and then ship some apps that require Edge be installed, I don't really see any downside to that. Now, if they said you had to use Edge to visit certain websites, that would be bad, but this doesn't sound like that at all.

Having said that, I find the new Outlook to be completely unusable. It's missing many functions I need from Desktop Outlook, including Rules. But even beyond the advanced features, even the basic email editor is painful to use. In EVERY other program from MS (and most third parties too) the menu key on the keyboard and right-click on a red-underlined misspelled word brings up the menu to fix. New Outlook completely changes this. Also, in New Outlook, if you have a long list of folders, you can't drag and drop a message from the Inbox (or any other folder) to a folder that's not currently visible. You have to manually scroll the folder list first. This is also completely different and worse than how it works anywhere else where when you drag to the top of a list it scrolls down and drag to the bottom and the list scrolls up so you can drop in any folder.

These are just basic UI features that I am baffled MS has broken in New Outlook. I feel like I'm using Mac OS -- it looks fine, but is functionally painful.

Reactions: Cosmocronos

RabidPedagog

Sep 19, 2023
Visit site
I actually don't have a problem with this -- if MS wishes to build some functionality into Edge as the browser that ships with Windows, and then ship some apps that require Edge be installed, I don't really see any downside to that. Now, if they said you had to use Edge to visit certain websites, that would be bad, but this doesn't sound like that at all.

Having said that, I find the new Outlook to be completely unusable. It's missing many functions I need from Desktop Outlook, including Rules. But even beyond the advanced features, even the basic email editor is painful to use. In EVERY other program from MS (and most third parties too) the menu key on the keyboard and right-click on a red-underlined misspelled word brings up the menu to fix. New Outlook completely changes this. Also, in New Outlook, if you have a long list of folders, you can't drag and drop a message from the Inbox (or any other folder) to a folder that's not currently visible. You have to manually scroll the folder list first. This is also completely different and worse than how it works anywhere else where when you drag to the top of a list it scrolls down and drag to the bottom and the list scrolls up so you can drop in any folder.

These are just basic UI features that I am baffled MS has broken in New Outlook. I feel like I'm using Mac OS -- it looks fine, but is functionally painful.
If it were useful, it couldn't be called a Microsoft application. :)

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site

Well, only unuseful in contrast to the powerhouse that is Outlook. :)

But it does have its pluses. It's lighter and faster. The UI looks more modern, where desktop Outlook looks pretty old and has some quirks of its own with menu and color. But I'll take those for the features and working UI for writing and filing email messages over the prettier and faster new Outlook any day.

Hopefully, new Outlook will eventually gain more of these capabilities and become a worthy successor, but still far from that now.

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
I could have sworn I read somewhere that they were separating Web View 2 from Edge that way it would be part of the OS/Store updates vs requiring Edge installed. But I can't find that article anywhere. Maybe I was just dreaming that lol.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Why does it matter? It doesn’t hurt to leave Edge installed for those who don’t like it, just don’t use it. And for those of us who realize it’s the superior browser, we can use it without adding bloatware like Opera and Chrome to our computers. ;)

Reactions: GraniteStateColin

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Why does it matter? It doesn’t hurt to leave Edge installed for those who don’t like it, just don’t use it. And for those of us who realize it’s the superior browser, we can use it without adding bloatware like Opera and Chrome to our computers. ;)
100% agree (well, I actually like Opera, but 100% with you in principle :) )

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Why does no one lose it when Apple and Google do this? Only Microsoft. I don't get it.

You can't remov Safari on Apple Anytihng or Chrome on Google Anything.

Edge is a core part of th e OS. All operating systems now have Apps you can't remove. You think Windows is bad? Jeesh try MacOS. It's chocker with bloat.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Considering how the new Outlook app is little more than a link to the web site, there is no reason to require Edge. Other browsers can turn pages into apps just as effectively.
First rule of the web, read the article.

You're on a platform dedicated to the biggest Microsoft application.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria