Just an observation about 950/950xl

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have been as disappointed with WP as everyone else the last year with the lack of product. Also, I've been confused at best at the lack of marketing MS does for it's mobile phones ( worked for the surface!). I kind of see a strategy or at least a reason for MSs actions over the past year regarding phone (w10). They are finally releasing a strong flagship and applying a strategy. Whether that strategy is fulfilled is another mattered but new high end phones are coming out and things are starting to happen with WP. What do you read on wpcentral? Why the new phones suck and how WP is doomed. I know haters gonna hate but damn there finally some positive movement! The last week or two I've been on wpcentral more than in the past year and a half. Things change fast. Not to long ago the iPad was the only tablet being sold and everything else was a joke. Lets see if MS is interested in getting WP cranking( market maybe?) and enjoy the new phone until the next thing comes out. Be safe out there.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking forward to getting to check out the new phones in person, however for the majority of users of Windows Phone devices the 950 and 950 XL don't really do a whole lot that the 930 and 1520 didn't already do.

Yes, the display is better, but the 1520 and 930 already had great displays. Yes continuum is cool, if you plan on using it, but unless the app situation changes I can't see things changing too drastically. Now there is hope, with Project Astoria and Islandwood on the horizon (man I'm going to be glad when it is finally here so I don't have to keep saying that).

They need to get the guy who did the continuum demo to be in charge of marketing, because he is so enthusiastic you just feel his excitement and the phone division REALLY needs to stir up people's excitement because live tiles just are not enough. You don't see them when surfing the web, using an app, watching a video, typing a text, reading facebook.... you know, any of the times you are doing anything other than staring at the home screen.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for making my point. We'll see how good they are when they come out.

Please don't misunderstand, I am not hating on the new phones, I am just being realistic about the current situation with the ecosystem as a whole. The hardware in those phones are great, and I can't wait to check them out in person (I don't have a Microsoft Store super close and the local Best Buy told me they won't be getting them for some time). I agree with you wholeheartedly about the marketing aspect needing to improve. Execution is something Microsoft has struggled with in the Windows Phone area for some time. I am glad you have had your interest renewed by the new devices, I just fear that unless the user experience as a whole improves that great new hardware will not be utilized to its potential, which is the point of frustration for many.

Last edited:

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Marketing will solve all problems. I've seen it a thousand times. Great products die because they're not marketed. Half azz products excell with marketing. Alot, and I mean alot, think iMac iPhone, I wherever are cutting edge no matter what actually is presented. Marketing rhat is the end game. We all can wax on about what we think is should be done but it all depends on if MS commits to WP or continues aimlessly shooting out random products with random marketing.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I honestly don't think we're going to see the heavy marketing push until Microsoft puts out a phone that was designed from the ground up by Microsoft. The 950/950XL were still designed by Nokia and people from the Nokia team that came over to Microsoft. I believe where the real marketing will kick in is when Microsoft re-invents the phone category with something astoundingly new (no, I don't know what that will be, but I expect it) with the Surface Phone.

Surface has always been about creating a new hardware category. Mark my words, the Surface Phone will be no different. I'm looking forward to this. I'm not going to be surprised by "no change in marketing strategy" by Microsoft when the 950/XL is released. I don't expect the marketing surge until it is something they can truly call uniquely Microsoft, aka Surface Phone.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Speaking of marketing... it is kind of depressing to see the Apple ads touting the long-tap and living images features so obviously lifted from Windows, and the Samsung ads making it look like they invented QI. But MS/Nokia never put forth the effort to educate the public what these things are.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't think we're going to see the heavy marketing push until Microsoft puts out a phone that was designed from the ground up by Microsoft. The 950/950XL were still designed by Nokia and people from the Nokia team that came over to Microsoft. I believe where the real marketing will kick in is when Microsoft re-invents the phone category with something astoundingly new (no, I don't know what that will be, but I expect it) with the Surface Phone.

Surface has always been about creating a new hardware category. Mark my words, the Surface Phone will be no different. I'm looking forward to this. I'm not going to be surprised by "no change in marketing strategy" by Microsoft when the 950/XL is released. I don't expect the marketing surge until it is something they can truly call uniquely Microsoft, aka Surface Phone.
I agree. I don't think a huge push is coming but I think they will start a little chatter. The 950s are strong flagships so I think you'll see some sparks.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of marketing... it is kind of depressing to see the Apple ads touting the long-tap and living images features so obviously lifted from Windows, and the Samsung ads making it look like they invented QI. But MS/Nokia never put forth the effort to educate the public what these things are.

That's my point. They have had marketable products just don't market.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon