How many of you planning to quit Windows forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
From most of the threads in the forum, we can gather the sentiments of everyone, which is "Windows Mobile is Dead". So since, everyone is saying "Windows Mobile is Dead and Microsoft is not doing anything" and most of us also have posted that they are moving to other OS, how many of you are quitting Windows Forums?

Fire your thoughts below.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
WindowsCentral is just one part of the Mobile Nations community.

Members are welcome no matter what mobile platform they happen to use. There are also many members who use multiple platforms.

WindowsCentral also happens to be about all Microsoft products and services, not just phones. I'm sure you've noticed that the site used to be called WPCentral. The "Phone" part is no longer in the name of the site. We also have forums for desktop Windows, Xbox, Office and other products/services.

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
From most of the threads in the forum, we can gather the sentiments of everyone, which is "Windows Mobile is Dead". So since, everyone is saying "Windows Mobile is Dead and Microsoft is not doing anything" and most of us also have posted that they are moving to other OS, how many of you are quitting Windows Forums?

Fire your thoughts below.

LOL!!!

"microsoft is not doing anything" is first of all a very inaccurate thing suggested by the masses, just because a billion dollar corporation is not, at their beck and call and responding personally to everyone's complaints.

As a business owner, an MBA, VCP, MCSE, and CCNA who has been around the fieild long enough, i can assure you the business decisions are never easy to make and sometimes when strategies are changed and decided upon, they don't necessarily make an apperance or show fruit rightaway in the market and does take time. Of course, business in general, specially on this scale a lot of it is also a gamble. Sometimes, it pays off, sometimes it does not. It is a big calculated risk and when one thing fails, its time reevaluate, and deploy Plan B, C, D, or whatever the case maybe.

To suggest they are not doing anything would be IMO, very naive and outright irresponsible with implications that a corporation like MSFT is now somehow ok with losing money on its Product(s)/Service(s).

I am not sure what exactly is the purpose of your question is?

cincykid76

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Frankly, I believe the writing is on the wall.. I believe Ms silently gave up awhile ago. We all know Nadella's feeling about the mobile side of things.

Ms is already catering to a small market and fan base. With the recent numbers it's easy to chalk it up to a lack of flagships or quality device releases. While some fans hold out, others just give up. It's hard enough to win new fans and adopters of the platform but even harder to win back defectors. People who jump ship , even temporarily, find that you can have a better MS experience on rival OS's while enjoying the perks of an abundance, higher quality,and better maintained app market.

I believe Ms has known for awhile they were trying to save a sinking ship and that's why there were so many cancelled devices. That's why there is no marketing/advertising. Why spend the money when you know there is virtually no return? Look at places where it has had decent numbers over the years compared to now.... People are fleeing! People are tired of waiting for apps , flagships and for MS to catch up. Especially when you hear more about them developing for their rivals, and when one of the execs of mobile takes a sabbatical and uses an IPhone.... Ms has all but said that they do not care about mobile.

I still love my Windows phones although it's not easy, and they don't help ease the pain. There strategy is very poor in mobile and that isn't accident, especially one a company of their size and resources should make. I believe it's intentional, I believe that are slowly abandoning mobile. I've supported mobile very hard over the years. I own a 520, 830,925, (2) 1020, and a 1520. Even I'm fed up. I will stick it out til the alleged Surface, but if it doesn't impress or if things get any worse, I will move on... I can't keep investing in a platform that isn't growing or going anywhere. And if I leave mobile, I will leave pc as well

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I sort of quit windows central because the forum is annoying and depressing at times. I wish moderation would do something bout the duplicate posts because there is no need to have 100 threads all complaining about windows 10 mobile.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The purpose is to know how many of the negative posters are quitting Windows Mobile forums also, since they are saying "they are moving to other platforms"

Just because one moves to another platform, that doesn't always mean that they lose interest in it. Even though I will be trying Android soon, I will probably not leave these forums.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's not the article itself, it's the stats. I don't know where you are in the world, but 1.9 market share in the US is very gloomy.
Last I checked there's around 300+ million people in the US. 1.9% of 300 million is around 5 million.

I don't know about Microsoft, but if you or I invented something that 5 million people in the US wanted to buy, we would be considered "wildly successful".

And yes. I wish that some of the people always posting negative stuff would leave.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Last I checked there's around 300+ million people in the US. 1.9% of 300 million is around 5 million.

I don't know about Microsoft, but if you or I invented something that 5 million people in the US wanted to buy, we would be considered "wildly successful".

And yes. I wish that some of the people always posting negative stuff would leave.

This is true, but it doesn't look as nice of a picture for developers who make the popular apps though.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Not going anywhere lol. Even if I used android I'm addicted to WindowsCentral. Can anyone help me ? How can I cure my addiction ? :D

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
With all the doom and gloom, the naysayers, the constant criticism, the continual us versus them, is enough to make you just ( add expletives as you will ) pack up and go home. Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, it is, inevitably the same thing over and over again.

There are a LOT of good helpful people on here, who have really helped me, but.....when I start seeing sweeping racist remarks in comments on a news item, which I reported, I have to question my sanity.

I am going to stick it out as I have seen this from the first days of the inter web thing, and sooner or later those who keep shouting get bored and move off elsewhere.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Don't you just love percentages. They won't say 5 million because that sounds a lot, and it may justify the system, or, prove there is a need beyond the blinkered journo's vision, for a serious look at our dirty little secret.

Politicians use percentages as they believe bull**** baffles brains. How many average joes really know what percentages mean????

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
This is true, but it doesn't look as nice of a picture for developers who make the popular apps though.
Sure it does.
Let's say a developer only gets 1c of a 99c app purchase, and that all 5M users of Windows Phone / Windows 10 Mobile buy the app.
They'd stand to make $50k before taxes.

Let's say only 1M people buy the app (20% purchase rate, fairly reasonable), they'd still make $10k and that is at 1c per purchase, which is almost certainly NOT the revenue share that exists on Windows Mobile.

I think developers can and will do just fine with W10M.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
No, I'm not. It really is kinda fun to read all the gloom and doom post in the forums. They have been saying the Sky is falling for a long time, and that they are leaving Windows mobile and the end is coming. But it is still here, we are still here and most of them are still here posting that the Sky is falling and how bad it all is. I'm sure there are more Windows Mobile lovers out there than there is Haters, we just don't have anything to complain about. But by all means keep it up, better than the Sunday comics.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I can't believe you are panicking over one article

I'm not panicking. I still prefer W10M, even if Panos and Nadella are too chicken-spit to stand behind it. But its hardly encouraging that Nadella is, at best, conflicted or ambivalent about it. If he and Panos can't find the time or will, I wish they'd bring someone in who would be willing to fully take on the challenge without their featherbedding qualifications. Someone willing to be identified with the future success or failure of W10M. Not someone who is preoccupied in positioning themselves at a distance so that if things go complete bust-o, they can nod and wink and say "I all but told you so, and it was never my baby in the first place".

I get that Nadella and Panos have much larger briefs than W10M, I get that they want to prioritize and accentuate the positive and to expand momentum and that W10M doesn't fill or even serve those needs right now. But N & P could certainly do a better job of supporting a struggling segment. They could say that they're 100% behind W10M but given market realities, it won't be judged by the same standards or timelines as with other devices and platforms, for the time being. Instead we get this semi-official sidling away from their own devices, and parachute statements about future bailing, which guys as smart as Nadella and Panos KNOW will be the headline from their statements and that will obscure and overwrite the positive blandishments they also mouth, often palpably going through the motions.

If they can't commit, I wish they'd licence the Live Tiles to a rival company that has the innate competency to develop and market smartphones, so that I won't lose that benefit if Microsoft throws in the towel and says we can't compete.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
No, I'm not. It really is kinda fun to read all the gloom and doom post in the forums. They have been saying the Sky is falling for a long time, and that they are leaving Windows mobile and the end is coming. But it is still here, we are still here and most of them are still here posting that the Sky is falling and how bad it all is. I'm sure there are more Windows Mobile lovers out there than there is Haters, we just don't have anything to complain about. But by all means keep it up, better than the Sunday comics.

So you get a kick out of all it too.. Same here... I read more here now than Facebook hehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon