Glance

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
My first WM phone was a 630 just to see if I liked the OS, I did so I bought a 930, which I love.

Both screens don't have Glance and I keep reading on here about "I can't have a phone without glance" or "Glance is a must on any new phone".

Well I've just bought a 640XL just to really check if I like the bigger screen (before I possibly upgrade) and to properly test W10 as the 630 isn't really up to it.

Anyway the 640 has glance on it, so off I go an enable it to see what all the fuss is about.....well....."meh!". Unless I'm missing something it's not top of my list!

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
From what I've understood, the Lumia 640/XL don't have a full glance screen, and can only display clock, as opposed to models that support full Glance.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
can only display clock, as opposed to models that support full Glance.

Yeah it seems only to display what's on the lockscreen :angry:

Comes into it's own as a bedside clock using the DT-910 wireless charging stand...provided your phone has Qi of course ��

My 930 has Qi but no Glance.....The 640 has Glance but no Qi!

Last edited by a moderator:

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it seems only to display what's on the lockscreen
Which for me includes call, text, email and podcast notifications, battery status and next calendar appointment as well as the date and time. Have you not set stuff like that up on your lock screen?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Have you not set stuff like that up on your lock screen?

I have, but I only get Calendar detailed updates and the others are just icons. The way people rant about the screen I thought you would be able to do much more with it.
I'm sticking to double tapping the screen to see the lock screen!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have, but I only get Calendar detailed updates and the others are just icons. The way people rant about the screen I thought you would be able to do much more with it.
I'm sticking to double tapping the screen to see the lock screen!

Some Lumias allow for Weather to be there on Glance, along with a background.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
With glance it really depends.. My 920 has it, but my 635 doesn't. I've grown accustomed to simply swiping my hand over the sensor so my phone can light up and show me if I have any "important" notifications I might have missed. As you can guess my phone doesn't always stay near me so when it's on a table and I'm walking by I would simply swipe and check.

Even when the phone is with me, I've set certain apps (like: mails/sports/messenger etc) to just show up in the notification center with no visual or audio notifications. So to check if any of those are in, I can just swipe my hand over the sensor. Of course you can skip the whole swiping situation by setting the glance to "always on". Now with windows 10 we have "timed glance".. kind of weird but oh well.

Another neat trick was to set the color of the time shown to change at a certain point. So whenever I would see the color change I would know that I need to get my arse to bed. Needless to say, I had set it to match my bedtime :winktongue:

In the end, while using my 635 more often, I've noticed that I can live without glance, but I do sometimes look at the screen hoping it was an option. So it's a nice little feature to have, but you could just as easily live without it. Then again, why mess with what works for you?

Glance might be even more useful if we could tie it to a "personalized profile" (profiles for inside/outside/meetings etc)

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
. I've grown accustomed to simply swiping my hand over the sensor so my phone can light up and show me if I have any "important" notifications I might have missed
A cool trick to airily wave your hand near the phone to do that. Or even just taking it out of your pocket is enough for it to emerge blinking into the light.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes