Should you still buy Windows RT on a tablet

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to find a decent 10" tablet. The Surface 2 and Nokia 2520 were solid choices, but I am not convinced that it is still a good choice with so many Windows 8.1 tablets now on the market at reasonable cost. I don't have too many needs for desktop apps, but my understanding is that RT is hampered if certain plug ins are needed (such as Showtime To Go).

So does it still make sense to buy an RT tablet? Or should I stick with full 8.1. I am also thinking that devices running 8.1 full will have an easier upgrade path to Windows 10 when it is available.

Thanks for the input.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what your budget looks like and how you lan to use the device. If you don't need the extra functionality of full Windows, RT is a nice get a a great price. If you need to do a bit more, then full windows is the choice.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I am trying to find a decent 10" tablet. The Surface 2 and Nokia 2520 were solid choices, but I am not convinced that it is still a good choice with so many Windows 8.1 tablets now on the market at reasonable cost. I don't have too many needs for desktop apps, but my understanding is that RT is hampered if certain plug ins are needed (such as Showtime To Go).

So does it still make sense to buy an RT tablet? Or should I stick with full 8.1. I am also thinking that devices running 8.1 full will have an easier upgrade path to Windows 10 when it is available.

Thanks for the input.
In my opinion it doesn't make sense to buy an RT tablet now... not as a "primary" tablet and not at full retail prices. A $99 32GB Surface RT (there is potentially going to be another sale during Thanksgiving/Black Friday/CyberMonday) would be worth it simply as an MS Office machine. But with devices like the 10.1" Asus T100 selling for between $250-$300, I see little reason to buy an RT device now.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Only decent 10" tablets are going to by hybrids or the Surface Pro line. However if you can stomach the loss of a couple of inches, the Dell Venue Pro 8 is an amazing and capable machine. Full Windows and im having only one problem, and that's with the WiFi adapter. Running the latest Win 10 TP on it to fantastic results, AND I have more space on it than I did with Win 8.

EDIT: I'm not convinced MS has a Win 10 upgrade path for RT. Your best bet if you're looking to get Win 10 is get a full Windows machine.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Nokia 2520 for 300 from the Microsoft Store. This was partially because my family was out of installs for Office 365, and partially because it's the only Verizon windows tablet. I wouldn't recommend an RT machine as a primary driver, but as a supplementary machine, yeah, it makes sense.

Plus, I expect there to be a Windows 10 for ARM that will basically make it a big Windows Phone the same way an iPad is a big iPhone. We've heard reports of upcoming 10 inch Windows Phone based devices from Altacel, so the technology will exist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss